Westone 4R for 299USD ...
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 135
If W4 and W40 are sonically same, then the W4R is definitely way more worth it than the W40.

i second that. and even if they arent sonically the same, i DO NOT like the MMX connector, i dont like the design of the Housing, i dont like the cable. so IMO even if the w40 is better than the w4r, the w4r still wins in my book. i cant believe they went with a mmx connector i Fing hate that connector.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 135
I just spoke with someone at Westone and... The housing on the W40 is plastic, not magnesium like the Adventure Series. The drivers are the same. Nothing has been tuned differently, the only potential difference in sound will be related to the new housing. So, new cable connection, and new housing, with the potential to use a cable with controls.

With that being said, I have a pair of 4r on order. Should I let it ride (seems so from the responses here and elsewhere)? The Westone rep said they switched to the new cable because the two prong design is prone to bending. I am not up to speed on these different connectors, but from what I have read here, the former Epic two prong design is more reliable?

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 135
I just cant believe why westone made that w40 housing case color interchangeable? they should knw stupid booze loving color freak teenagers are not going to buy the W4's ( or 40's) any ways. And why would they re badge there products for the 2nd time ? this is AKG in a whole new IEM way.. lol westone killed my respect for them selfs.... This is plain stupid and from what I see w4's and 4r's has a better professional looking housing than the stupid 40's .. and don't even start talking about that crapy connecter :/ sigh..

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 135
I just spoke with someone at Westone and... The housing on the W40 is plastic, not magnesium like the Adventure Series. The drivers are the same. Nothing has been tuned differently, the only potential difference in sound will be related to the new housing. So, new cable connection, and new housing, with the potential to use a cable with controls.

With that being said, I have a pair of 4r on order. Should I let it ride (seems so from the responses here and elsewhere)? The Westone rep said they switched to the new cable because the two prong design is prone to bending. I am not up to speed on these different connectors, but from what I have read here, the former Epic two prong design is more reliable?

Hmmm...I thought the recessed socket design of the 2 pin connection resolved the issue with bending pins. The W4R does have recessed sockets. I remember there was an issue with non recessed sockets being used but it was still rare and I haven't heard anything about pins bending with an iem that has a recessed sockets. Shure have implemented the mmxc connectors and people have been having issues with sound cutting out due to the connection. Same thing with the UE900 and it is more common.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 135
so they phased the w4/r out for no reason, seem to have given it a more crappy housing design, used that awsome mmcx connector that has proven to give many problems to the 535 and ue 900, but managed to change nothing of the tonality.....why should i go with the W40 again, oh thats right, i shouldnt.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 135
If the W4R and W40 sound the same, then the W4R at $299 is a no brainer unless you want a cable with iphone controls. However, the W40 will retail for $499 so I think it would be better to wait for a sale if your heart is set on the W40 for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back