Westone 4-R or Logitech UE 900? HELP!!
May 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kebbin15

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to all different kind of music (Classical, Electronic, Rock, some hip-hop and OSTs) and currently have Monster iSport Immersion which are good but not great earphones. I just want something special, audiophile grade and all-around earphones for my birthday next month so I'm considering these two earphones. Which one do you think is better? FYI I've had Ultrasone Pro 900 and currently have Denon D1100 for home use and I would call my myself a basshead but I still want my bass balanced, decent but not overwhelming. And do I need an AMP for both of these? I have a Sony Walkman which I think is pretty good DAP, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and an iPad 2. 

May 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:
I listen to all different kind of music (Classical, Electronic, Rock, some hip-hop and OSTs) and currently have Monster iSport Immersion which are good but not great earphones. I just want something special, audiophile grade and all-around earphones for my birthday next month so I'm considering these two earphones. Which one do you think is better? FYI I've had Ultrasone Pro 900 and currently have Denon D1100 for home use and I would call my myself a basshead but I still want my bass balanced, decent but not overwhelming. And do I need an AMP for both of these? I have a Sony Walkman which I think is pretty good DAP and an iPad 2. 

For everything but classical in the list, I would recommend the Westone W4 over the UE 900.

May 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 34
The UE900 willbe better pick because it offers more neutral to airy sound and has good bass response with sparkly highs and very detailed midrange. But starting from Monster you wont go wrong with any of these IEMs and they both are amazing sounding for the price(highly detailed yet fun to listen).

May 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 34
Of the two, I'd go for the W4R.  Both for sound and a more comfortable fit.  I'd probably throw in the suggestion of the W3 if you like a warmer sound.  I have all three and tend to spend more time with the Westones.  ANd, there's just something a little more fun about the W3.

May 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
Does the W4R need an amp?

Yes, highly recommended versus most other IEM's.

W4 over UE900 but I think SE535 is a much better all-arounder.  Still very neutral but provides a bit more flare and "oomph."

The 535 does measure more neutral than both the W4 and UE 900. The W4 does improve with an amp.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 34
Does the W4R need an amp?

Keb,

I'm using my Westone W4 and W4R with Fiio E11, they sounds great with or without amp. So either way is all good for portable music listening experience.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 34
Out of these two I own the UE900 and enjoy the heck out of them. But if you want more bass along with good balance you might want to read up on the KEF M200. You still might go down the WR4 or UE900 road but it doesn't hurt to have a read on this new IEM.

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
I listen to all different kind of music (Classical, Electronic, Rock, some hip-hop and OSTs) and currently have Monster iSport Immersion which are good but not great earphones. I just want something special, audiophile grade and all-around earphones for my birthday next month so I'm considering these two earphones. Which one do you think is better? FYI I've had Ultrasone Pro 900 and currently have Denon D1100 for home use and I would call my myself a basshead but I still want my bass balanced, decent but not overwhelming. And do I need an AMP for both of these? I have a Sony Walkman which I think is pretty good DAP, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and an iPad 2. 

Havent tried UE900 (looks too flashy & shiny for me) but W4R is heaps & bounds compared to the iSport. I purchased the iSport for around $30.00 when it was on clearance in Radio Shack long time back.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 34
Did you notice any differences between the W4 & W4R in sound?

Hi man,

So far I cannot tell any difference with the same source, AMP and music files. but since the previous old Westone W4 that I broke got no star tips, therefore I must admit that the new Westone W4R replacement unit sounds great with the star tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back