Westone 3's and the Sibilance/Tips Issue
Jan 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way too much navel-gazing here, in the sense that unless you own the phone in question, you should not post in the thread other than to ask questions. Example, I have a lot of posts, but I have never posted a comment about SE530s, Triple-Fi, or any other phones I do not own or never heard. What would be the point?

Not bad advise.

I can simplify the debate for everyone though -- the Shure E500/SE530s are definitely the best IEM out there. They beat all others. They are the perfect IEM. Others, like W3s, Triple-Fi, IE8 are good, but the Shures are tops. If you try them and don't agree, it will probably be an issue with the tips (although it could be just your listening preferences are such that a top IEM is not for you).

Hope that helps.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #62 of 72
Nah Moseboy, dont feel bad, All I'm saying is, if you end up trusting your ears, then its sort of pointless for ANY and all of us to put up posts claimin this and that about any piece of gear. But if you and others are here on the forums out of curiosity, or to find what is considered to be "the best," then I feel its important to discuss issues without resorting to "give me Shures or give me death" statements (which I admit to having done...multiple...dozens of times in the past). The OP's original post (if I've finally gotten it right -i hope) led us to question, do iems really have to be designed that way, are there other options? And I think I've tried to provide other options in my other posts here. I really dont know where I;m going but I guess I'll repost after auditioning the w3/se530/etys tomorrow

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not bad advise.

I can simplify the debate for everyone though -- the Shure E500/SE530s are definitely the best IEM out there. They beat all others. They are the perfect IEM. Others, like W3s, Triple-Fi, IE8 are good, but the Shures are tops. If you try them and don't agree, it will probably be an issue with the tips (although it could be just your listening preferences are such that a top IEM is not for you).

Hope that helps.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the sage advice. I'm all tapped out now, and happy with the W3s, X10s, 716s and Phonak Audeos, which are a newcomer to Head-Fi that I believe will draw some interesting attention (and opinions) if sales take off.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Thanks for the sage advice. I'm all tapped out now

No worries. My tongue was firmly planted in cheek. While I like my Shures very much, posting those kinds of comments would be absurd. The sad thing is I got all those comments from others who have posted recently in other threads regarding, lately, W3s. Rather irritating actually.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

I could be reading it wrong. But even if I am wrong, I am consistent. Check the IE8, Triple-Fi or SE530 threads. I didn't make a single post cause I don't own them. I did maybe say something about giving them a try, but that's about it. Just me. You can do what you like.

biggrin.gif
Christ... YOU WIN, okay? Congratulations, have a cookie. Yes, you were reading what I said wrong, but I give the fu*k UP already. I deleted my post which I honestly thought was legitimately worth reading because I really meant it and thought some others could take something from it. But sure as hell, I knew from the start someone would jump on my ass. I should've called it.

I just deleted three more paragraphs of this post explaining why I post what I do because I know you'll find a flaw in my logic.

u > me

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #66 of 72
No IEM works for everyone, but I am 100% positive, majority of people are very very happy with their W3~ Sometimes I believe sibilance has more to do with the original recording than the earphone... ...

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries. My tongue was firmly planted in cheek. While I like my Shures very much, posting those kinds of comments would be absurd. The sad thing is I got all those comments from others who have posted recently in other threads regarding, lately, W3s. Rather irritating actually.

My response (as far as actually buying 530s) was also a little sarcastic. I wasn't sure what your angle was, to be honest. It did seem a bit odd, but hey, who knows? And yes, irritating all the way around.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried the W3's with Diana Krall's Girl in the Other room album? Any impressions on that?

No, but I will (I have it). Considering every bit of sibilance has been tamed by the tri-flanges with the modified stalk (for me), I doubt it will be an issue. But I know many hold that CD up as the most sibilance-inducing album.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Christ... YOU WIN, okay? Congratulations, have a cookie. Yes, you were reading what I said wrong, but I give the fu*k UP already. I deleted my post which I honestly thought was legitimately worth reading because I really meant it and thought some others could take something from it. But sure as hell, I knew from the start someone would jump on my ass. I should've called it.

I just deleted three more paragraphs of this post explaining why I post what I do because I know you'll find a flaw in my logic.

u > me

Relax. Take a deep breath. And thanks, I think a cookie (3-4 in fact) would be great this morning.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried the W3's with Diana Krall's Girl in the Other room album? Any impressions on that?

Yes, I have. I'm a big fan of female jazz artists, so I've listened to a good many of them with the 3s. They sound uniformly amazing to me.

You should also read Ray Samuel's W3 review for another POV on the W3 and Ms Krall. In case you aren't familiar with Ray, he's the man responsible for one of the world's finest headphone amp lines.

Or you can listen to the naysayers, some of whom have actually heard the W3 and failed to be impressed.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

I do not own this album, but I do have the best of Diana Krall and did not heard with a modified triple flange. Lossless files on iPhone 3G>LOD>Hornet>W3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back