Westone 3 vs Monster Turbines
May 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Real Maximus

Head-Fier
I currently own the turbines and am really impressed with their construction and I really appreciate many of their sonic characteristics. I am not sure if I am sold on them. I am however curious, how much better will the Westone 3 IEMs be? Has anyone compared the two? How would you characteristically compare them to one another? How much will I be gaining by switching? Would that money be better spent on amplification, or on an IMOD upgrade?

On a scale of "1 - 10", if the Westone 3 are "10", what would the turbines be?

May 7, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 45
I own the W3s and owned and sold the Turbines. I found the Turbines decent, but completely outclassed by the W3s. But, as you may have seen, the W3s have some fit issues for people. Read the thread on W4s before you decide. Also, check the UM3X threads, since Westone has released a new IEM and early reviews are positive.

May 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 45
tstarn06, I have done a lot research the past few days on the UM3X and they sound really great. I am considering them over the W3 for my tastes. However, I can't find a thing about W4s anywhere on the net, nor is there anything on them on Westone's homepage. How can I find out more about them?
Thanks for the feedback on comparing the turbines to the westones. Does anyone else have any additional commentary on turbines vs westones?

May 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 45
I had both and there are diffrent variables when comparing IEMs. IMO the Turbines work well with the Fuze and they bring out the best of my D2. The W3 are over rated ( that is without a amp) but the same two sources IMO. I haven't heard the UM3X, but I find it curious that Westone felt the need to come out with the UM3Xs. IMO!!

May 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Maximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, I have done a lot research the past few days on the UM3X and they sound really great. I am considering them over the W3 for my tastes. However, I can't find a thing about W4s anywhere on the net, nor is there anything on them on Westone's homepage. How can I find out more about them?
Thanks for the feedback on comparing the turbines to the westones. Does anyone else have any additional commentary on turbines vs westones?

erm there is no such thing as the W4

May 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Maximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I can't find a thing about W4s anywhere on the net, nor is there anything on them on Westone's homepage. How can I find out more about them?

L3000.gif

May 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper0294 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the W3's like.. triple the price of the Turbines?

Yes, but since the OP already has Turbines, it's still a relevant comparison.

May 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both and there are diffrent variables when comparing IEMs. IMO the Turbines work well with the Fuze and they bring out the best of my D2. The W3 are over rated ( that is without a amp) but the same two sources IMO. I haven't heard the W3X, but I find it curious that Westone felt the need to come out with the W3Xs. IMO!!

Can't agree that the W3s are overrated, at least when they sound their best via fit, tip, etc., even without an amp and my DAPs. Not clear what you mean by "but the same two sources IMO." Westone didn't feel the need, they clearly plan releases of new IEMs on a much more strategic basis. Also, as has been noted, the W3s are more of a consumer IEM while the UM3X is a musician stage monitor, with flatter response, more balanced sound, etc.

May 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't agree that the W3s are overrated, at least when they sound their best via fit, tip, etc., even without an amp and my DAPs. Not clear what you mean by "but the same two sources IMO." Westone didn't feel the need, they clearly plan releases of new IEMs on a much more strategic basis. Also, as has been noted, the W3s are more of a consumer IEM while the UM3X is a musician stage monitor, with flatter response, more balanced sound, etc.

+1.

May 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+2 hehe; I think we are gonna get sick of people saying stuff like this. why is it that any company releases 2 different versions of something ever???. and its not even like that; the W3 was released some time ago now and FWIR they sound quite different to the UM3X (will know first hand shortly) they also use only one driver that is the same and have more in common with the ES3X than W3. the W3 was a departure from the usual westone naming system and also a departure from their usual house sound. it was/is a consumer model with a sound that is slightly hyped in the bass and highs; the same way many consumers like to hype their eq in the bass and highs.
the UM3X on the other hand is part of their musicians monitor series and therefore has a more balanced frequency response that is much flatter across all frequencies; making it much more ideal for on stage use

as for the OP: sorry mate; havent heard the turbines, but even without hearing them I can tell you there is a whole world of class that exists in the W3 and UM3X that is absent in IEMs of that price range (at least the ones I have heard). will it be 3 times better; unlikely with the law of diminishing returns, but the difference will be substantial

May 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 45
I own both. If the 3's are a 10 then the Turbines would be a 6.5. The 3's are in a different class. For $105 usd, the Turbines are an excellent value.

May 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 45
...is this a real thread? I'm a little confused...

Anyway I own the turbines and I've herd the W3's (not the um3x). I also owned the IE8 which is an easier comparison for the Turbines. I did direct comparisons between the IE8 and the turbines, but the W3's are only from memory so please take that into account with my impressions.
Soundstage:
IE8>Turbines~W3 (pretty close from memory)
Bass (Impact):
IE8>Turbines>We
Control:
W3>IE8~Turbines
Forwardness:
IE8>W3>Turbines
Highs (taking into effect sibilance issues):
Turbines>IE8>W3

I think I should justify the comment regarding the highs because I didn't take the time to "Voltage" the W3's. The IE8's had some sibilance issues while the turbines didn't have any. All three iem's have a lot of sound stage and an overall warm presentation with pentiful o bass. In terms of tight/controlled bass though the W3's were the best of the three. In terms of sound stage the IE8's edged out the Turbines, and the W3's were along the same lines as the Turbines. The difference between the turbines and the W3's aren't Worlds apart. Especially when the turbines seemed to be just a notch less refined than the IE8's. I sold my IE8's and kept the turbines because it felt like the turbines could become my "beater" pair of iem's whereas I'd be too worried about taking the IE8's out (fit issues, and I just couldnt walk around with them). As far as I'm concerned, the Turbines and the W3's are only worlds apart if the IE8 is completely outclassed by the W3's. Since this isn't the case (based on reviews, notably by n_maher, headphoneaddict, who place the IE8's below the W3's out of preference and gave the W3's a slight margin over the IE8's) I have to say that the Turbines are infact closer to the W3's as you may expect. I think by in large the Turbines are the first signs of cheap, high-end killer iem's. I hope more companies create headphones like these. And Shure's new line up of close cans (and based on Jude's impressions of them) seem to be the signs of a new line of high end killer headphones. It feels like a lot of companies are jumping on board with newer designs that are just a few notches below the front runners at a third of the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back