Westone 3 vs Monster Turbines
May 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #32 of 45
There are different ears and variables. No one person is right, just different preferences!

May 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry mate but if you have to cut up tips, and make modifications, NO you haven't gotten the W3's to the point that they were advertised. You have something that is BEYOND what W3 could deliver based on what Westone's research and work they did in packaging and selling the item. If Westone really wanted you to get a sound based on what you are hearing now with your modified tips, then they would have probably modified the tips for you before hand (or at least start making molds and tips for people). Additionally the use of UM56's would also entail that their product (to reach its full potential from your admission) would require custom sleeves. Yes to reach the full potential of a pair of universal IEM's is to get a pair of Custom Sleeves. Sorry that doesn't cut it.

The rest of your post I mostly agree with. This part I disagree about.

Everyone has different ears. Different shapes and sizes, and different sensitivity in fit. I, for example, have large ear canals, and need the largest size single flange just to get an OK seal. If I bought a pair of IEM's, and the included tips weren't large enough to seal in my ears, I wouldn't say "Oh, these IEM's suck, they don't fit right." I'd buy a larger tip, or modify something, or get custom molds. That shouldn't count against my opinion of the original purchase.

From another perspective, the ability to mod something to get the perfect fit or the perfect sound is a good point. Yes, the manufacturer should do the best they can, for the majority of their customers, when designing a product. But IEM's are not "one size fits all".

May 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 45
Well put. I wish I had thought to write it, in fact. Small example. I just bought a pair of Senn CX95s based on some positive posts, and a comparison with the ADDIEMs, which I like. I got them for a friend, but I wanted to give them to him burned in, but I did an out of the box listen first. Ugh. I hated them, sibilant as nails on the blackboard. They had the stock medium silicones on them when they arrived. I figured burn-in might help, but almost immediately, I tried some Comply T400s, and they sounded much better, sibilance almost gone, actually pretty good. Of course, Sennheiser packed the usual 3 pair of OEM silicone tips (S M L), and they would be going on the For Sale forum had I not tried the foamies. Made all the difference in the world, which goes right to your point (and mine about the W3s in terms of hearing them at their best).

May 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #37 of 45
I don't think custom tips defeats the purpose of univerals. You can still sell universals even if you got custom tips for them. You can never sell customs. Also, it's still a lot cheaper to get a top tier universal IEM + custom tips than a high quality custom.

May 12, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #38 of 45
Folks, I appreciate all of the information you have offered. I am getting mixed signals trying to intake all of the different experiences, perspectives, etc. I think the best advice I received was telling me that if I am not happy with the turbines, perhaps my ear will appreciate the sound of the W3s as opposed to what I am getting with the turbines. I will say this. As I experiment more with different tips and have continued burning in the turbines, and perhaps adjusting to them (my ears getting used to their sonic signature), I am liking them more and more. I think them to be excellent in a lot of different genres, but here and there they sound a bit artificial. I agree, for the money, they are an excellent phone. At this point, I am seriously considering trying out the UM3X, buring them in, trying different tips, and then seeing if they are what I am looking for. I live in Dallas, TX (Frisco, TX actually) does anyone know if there is a place out here that I can do listening tests locally?

May 13, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #40 of 45
I am new to IEMs, but I have been an audiophile for years, and I have to believe burn in will still make a difference with balanced armature's; perhaps not nearly as much however. Speakers, receivers, amps, power cords, interconnects, etc, I always hear and notice some differences over time with burn in.

May 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 45
i would certainly hope that the w3 outperform the turbine. they are both excellent phones to be sure in their price range, but what dear bother would any phone be worth if another that is not even a competitor outperforms it at less than 3x the price?

May 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would certainly hope that the w3 outperform the turbine. they are both excellent phones to be sure in their price range, but what dear bother would any phone be worth if another that is not even a competitor outperforms it at less than 3x the price?

Not necessarily. One headphone may be cheaper but be superior in a targetded attribute (bass, soundstage, comfort, ect). Although, it may lack overall in comparsion to the high-end.

May 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this is no good comparison.,.,monster turbine is the same level as v moda.,.
is only good for bass head.,.

I've had both, and the Turbines are definitely in a much higher category than the Vibes. The Vibes sounded veiled, vague, congested, and had very muddy bass in comparison to the Turbines. The Turbines present a much better treble (it's not perfect by any stretch though), the bass is tighter, etc. They are a much more refined earphone, definitely closer to the W3's than they are the Vibes.

May 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #45 of 45
i have not owned the vibes but have had them in my greasy ears for longer than i'd really like to admit. they were a good phone for a good price 3 or 4 years ago, but now, they fall short of the turbine by a fair margin. of course: imho.

as for price, the turbine are a great phone that i think compares favourably with more expensive models up to about 200$. some performance is of course bettered within that range and in other areas, the turbine stomp all over expensive models like the um2, however -- i would be hard pressed to find any phone under 200$ that can come close to an overall similitude with a phone that retails for 399$.

remember that i am very happy with the turbine especially their make other than the cable. simply, monster went above its own reach when creating such a well designed and good sounding phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back