Westone 3 universal IEM....
May 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #121 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that incredibly hard to believe. It has a deep suckout in the upper midrange and far poorer treble extension.

Sorry, but I really don't trust anything anybody here says anymore.

So you're still here because...

May 13, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #122 of 169
Quote:

I'd imagine the E500s are probably far darker than the HD650s, which I don't consider dark at all.

Quote:

I find that incredibly hard to believe. It has a deep suckout in the upper midrange and far poorer treble extension.

When you say "I'd imagine" and "I find it hard to believe", that tells me that you haven't heard them yourself. If you truly want to find out how they compare, buy them both and have a listen for yourself...then you can post your "more accurate" opinion.

Quote:

Sorry, but I really don't trust anything anybody here says anymore.

Who cares what anyone says on any thread, it all comes down to what YOUR ears hear. It's all relative.

May 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #123 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the E500's and HD650's sound very, very similar.

I concur with nick. I own both, and with my rig, they do sound very similar. The biggest difference is in soundstage, but that's due to IEM vs full size can.

May 18, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #124 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur with nick. I own both, and with my rig, they do sound very similar. The biggest difference is in soundstage, but that's due to IEM vs full size can.

I agree on that as well. I own them both (E500s and HD650s) and to my ears (I listen to both of them using a Hornet M) they sound similar.

May 20, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #125 of 169
Aaaaargghh, there´ll be a further delay!!!
I got this email from earphonesolutions:

"We are sending this email to you because you have an active preorder for the Westone 3 or had one in the past.
We were told by Westone that there will be a further delay on the release date of the Westone 3. Possibly until mid-summer.
"

What should I do? Wait a few month more, or go with the SHURE SE 530???
I like my Sennherser HD650, and when the Shure sounds similar...?!

Any comparisons of those who heared both???

May 20, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #126 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"We are sending this email to you because you have an active preorder for the Westone 3 or had one in the past.
We were told by Westone that there will be a further delay on the release date of the Westone 3. Possibly until mid-summer.
"

What should I do? Wait a few month more, or go with the SHURE SE 530???
I like my Sennherser HD650, and when the Shure sounds similar...?!

Any comparisons of those who heared both???

X2 I've been pondering the same exact question,

May 20, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #127 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"

No fair !!!
th_d6fe3d65.gif

May 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #128 of 169
blah...... i hate this waiting around... first Xin, now westone... I'm officially joining Team Wait-Fi

May 22, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #130 of 169
Isn't the SHURE SE 530 the same (sonicly) as the E500? If so I'd put the UM2 before that and maybe even the E4C.

Doug, hire some help man!

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #131 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the plane, I decided to give the little UNIVERSAL Westone 3 a listen.
Oh my God...am I listening to IEMs that are not custom built to my ears?
I was truely shocked, I have never experienced this kind of intimacy with universal IEMs. The sound produced from these little phones was magical.
The highs were full of "honey" sweeeetttttt, with extension only produced from the very best drivers. Bass was deeeeeppppp, tied with authority. It produced the sub bass that Bella Sonus CD is known off. The mids were magical. The balance of high, mid & bass was outstanding & the sound stage was so big I could never believe it was coming from these cans.
So I decided to keep these cans & add them to my collection at any cost.
All I want to say, if you are looking into "UNIVERSAL" IEMs, Westone 3 will bethe way to go. It really put a big smile on my face, it truely made my 2 hours flight so enjoyable.
Ray Samuels

Heh, If I had seen this thread, I might have posted my comments here, instead of http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263979

I knew right away too that there was something special about them, but how did you keep them without getting arrested
wink.gif
Now I know why I couldn't talk them out of a set for a week long review, they don't get them back...
redface.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #132 of 169
i love you guys, im just happy we all can have the pleasure to listen to such high end equipment, westone are amazing, id rather wait for them, rather than them release a half finished product

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #133 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the SHURE SE 530 the same (sonicly) as the E500? If so I'd put the UM2 before that and maybe even the E4C.

Doug, hire some help man!

this is true but it has been suggested the new black foams improve isolation...thus improving bass and sound in general, i have not recorded or found any improvement apart from better isolation and comfort.

the UM2 are known to be similar to the e500 in the highs...giving a rolled effect, this is what i found anyway, and bass is not as well refined on the um2 (my opinion ofcourse) but it is more powerful.

i have always believed that the e500 has had as good highs as the e4c with improved mid-bass and bass, the only earphones to excel both in highs are the er4's but we know where the faults are there.

i think the main thing is what music you listen to, this should be enough to influence what earphones you buy or keep, if anybody can point out some iem's that do reggae or hip hop better than the e500 please point them out and state why.

also, i think the e500 are underrated around head fi due to so many of you loving and enjoying classical and so on.

im pretty confident the westone 3 will not do classical as well as lets say...er4's, but instead will give amazing sound with other genre's. but anyway once again i think the most important thing to take into consideration when picking earphones is what music you will use them mostly for. i think the westone 3 will be amazing but im also confident they wont be the end all for all music. a great idea put into action was ultimate ears states on thier website what music is best for what phones...more reviews should be based around that music, thus not deducting points for the music they wasnt designed for. some of you will say well ''yes but earphones should do all music well'' but we all know that no earphone does that

this once again may sound like im backing the e500 and so on but i would just like to state i am not in any way backing the e500 this time around but would like to see more reviews on iem's based on what music is best suited to them.
k1000smile.gif
tongue.gif
basshead.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #134 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is true but it has been suggested the new black foams improve isolation...thus improving bass and sound in general, i have not recorded or found any improvement apart from better isolation and comfort.

the UM2 are known to be similar to the e500 in the highs...giving a rolled effect, this is what i found anyway, and bass is not as well refined on the um2 (my opinion ofcourse) but it is more powerful.

i have always believed that the e500 has had as good highs as the e4c with improved mid-bass and bass, the only earphones to excel both in highs are the er4's but we know where the faults are there.

i think the main thing is what music you listen to, this should be enough to influence what earphones you buy or keep, if anybody can point out some iem's that do reggae or hip hop better than the e500 please point them out and state why.

also, i think the e500 are underrated around head fi due to so many of you loving and enjoying classical and so on.

im pretty confident the westone 3 will not do classical as well as lets say...er4's, but instead will give amazing sound with other genre's. but anyway once again i think the most important thing to take into consideration when picking earphones is what music you will use them mostly for. i think the westone 3 will be amazing but im also confident they wont be the end all for all music. a great idea put into action was ultimate ears states on thier website what music is best for what phones...more reviews should be based around that music, thus not deducting points for the music they wasnt designed for. some of you will say well ''yes but earphones should do all music well'' but we all know that no earphone does that

this once again may sound like im backing the e500 and so on but i would just like to state i am not in any way backing the e500 this time around but would like to see more reviews on iem's based on what music is best suited to them.
k1000smile.gif
tongue.gif
basshead.gif

There is so many different things people hear here depending on source, tips, cables, amps, music... the list goes on.

I think the E500 and the GS1000 are examples of some of the largest FOTM headfi has seen. I am one of the few that really like the GS1000 if they are properly mated with the right gear.

As for the E500 vs. UM2 vs. E4 I can't say I'm on the same page with ya. Many people define the UM2's as sibilant and the E500's as rolled off when it comes to the top end. I don't find the UM2 sibilant unless the bitrate is low or recording is bad and sometimes if poorly amped. The UM2 has tighter stronger bass IMO but the E500 has better bass extension and definition/texture. Although I prefer the forward vocals of the E4 and UM2 that does not mean the E500 is not warm in the mids just that the vocals have a different presentation. As for the top end I clearly think the E4 is winner hear with crystal clear sparlke and good extension. I don't find the E500 to be rolled off to the extent some claim but to my ears there is a clear difference between the top end on them and the UM2 and E4.

As for music I listen to classical only about 10% of the time. Most of my music is pretty mixed (no rap though), metal, rock, jazz, latin, swing, big band, country, electronic, industrial, etc.

Back to the 3's I will just say that I think they will do very well when they land and I would wager that they will maintain good support after the FOTM wears off. I've already talked to some that said they did not care for them so like anything here they are not going to be a "one headphone to please all" but they will hold their own no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back