Westone 3(or any of their universal line) Removable Cable Mod
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

techbone514

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking for a few years, but this is my first foray into posting here.

I've noticed quite a few people recommending the removable cable mod for the Westone 3's, and was wondering if there is a tutorial to do it yourself, or if that's frowned upon.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 19
BTG-Audio does the detachable cable modifications for Westone 3 and other IEMs, I gather that's what members are relating too.

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11546437

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
BTG-Audio does the detachable cable modifications for Westone 3 and other IEMs, I gather that's what members are relating too.

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11546437

i highly reccomend brian, i had him mod my se530's and he did a excellent job. not only that but i also got a westone sunrise cable from him and the quality was tip top notch. well worth the wait, about 2 week turn around

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Sounds good. I might go ahead with the reshell, and get a new fbgfnhable along with it. The price difference just doesn't make sense not to do both at the same time.

45.00 for the mod this just say 30.00 for the stock cable 75.00

reshell, is going to be for a good set of molds 75.00-100.00+ 95.00 for remolding + 10.00 for shipping +35.00 for cable = 215-240.00 remolded 

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 19
The cheapest cable I saw on BTG is $51 bringing in a grand total of $90.

I've got a deal I can take advantage of to get a few bucks off the reshells plus no shipping, plus our bass player is an audiologist, and has volunteered to do the molds for free. I'm still waiting on exact pricing, but I doubt it'll be that different. I'm thinking for sure under $200.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
The cheapest cable I saw on BTG is $51 bringing in a grand total of $90.

I've got a deal I can take advantage of to get a few bucks off the reshells plus no shipping, plus our bass player is an audiologist, and has volunteered to do the molds for free. I'm still waiting on exact pricing, but I doubt it'll be that different. I'm thinking for sure under $200.

brian (btg) uses westone pins, you can if you want get a westone replacement cable or westone epic cable.  so say for the replacement cable and removeable cable mod it would be under 100.00

you should read up too on other peoples expierences with reshelling sometimes it can effect the sound signature for the negative, im not saying this is going to be your case, however i would also take that into consideration. maybe you wont have any issues or problems. just saying.

i sent brian my se530's and he modded them, i bought my own cable  

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 19
Hi mate,
I just finished my westone 4 mod to removable cable. I also wrote a tutorial and really wanna share it. So if you're fancy to do, drop me your email and I give you my file. Here is my mod: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/cuong_hoangchi/IMG_0600-1.jpg

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 19
What is the point of changing the cable and casting aside all the R&D work Westone engineers have already done?

How does one know what direction the sound will go with any cable change?  On whether it is an improvement or a downgrade?

Or do you just assume the cable cost more than the stock one so it MUST sound better?

I guess I don't understand cable changes.....but then I rode the shorter yellow buses to school.

I feel the same way about re-shelling unless it is TF10 fit issue thing.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 19
What is the point of changing the cable and casting aside all the R&D work Westone engineers have already done?

How does one know what direction the sound will go with any cable change?  On whether it is an improvement or a downgrade? better materials in the cable make for better signal transfer. Imo even if its a stock copper wire to upgrade copper wire I still think their is something to gain with the better quality wire used

Or do you just assume the cable cost more than the stock one so it MUST sound better?no again materials used can improve sount cyro treating the cable can also yeild more flexibility better for portability and mobility. Im not saying more is better but you do get what you pay for you know that

I guess I don't understand cable changes.....but then I rode the shorter yellow buses to school.

Yes research and development is done by westone but mearly to create one iem w3 and researched gain improve upon the design slightly to drive up the pricing and availability. If you want a westone w3 then go with the um3x but its not the W line so making the w3 into a rc imo is what westone should have done but in order to exploit customers and capitalize on profit we need the w4 then the w4r....imo complete exploitation of the customers if you ask me.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 19

How does one know what direction the sound will go with any cable change?  On whether it is an improvement or a downgrade?

Or do you just assume the cable cost more than the stock one so it MUST sound better?

Yep, I must agree with you that we should appreciate R&D work of Westone. Actually my Westone 4's right cable was broken and out of warranty so I decided to do this mod. And lucky enough for me the sound does improve, not degrade comparing to the stock as I also worried before. Talking about cable, the westone 4 stock cable, to my limited knowledge of cable, is quite inefficient in term of conducting current since the cross sectional area is too small and wire is made from normal quality tin-coated copper. So must say the mod is worth a try at least to experience something new.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 19
It is seriously IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of Brian right now. I sent an email three weeks ago and twice this week already, yet he has failed to respond to each and every one...What?

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back