westone 3 need rewiring please help
Apr 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tom45282003

New Head-Fier
hey there, you guys, I brought a pair of westone 3 on this forum they have been working out well to me and all that, the only problem is that I am not under garanty,  Jeff like always has been really nice to me, which is really awesome for a brand, my headphone started to have a little break tiny little break near the headphone jack, I went to an audio store that sells parts, and he told I needed to cut the wire and solder a new jack in,  I asked jeff if he had any knew anything about procedure, the electrician should do to be able to do it, has anyone had any experience in doing it themself 
can I buy a new jack thats not the one from westone, a good quality one 

thanks a lot if you need more info or pictures i'll be glad to provide them 

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
hey there, you guys, I brought a pair of westone 3 on this forum they have been working out well to me and all that, the only problem is that I am not under garanty,  Jeff like always has been really nice to me, which is really awesome for a brand, my headphone started to have a little break tiny little break near the headphone jack, I went to an audio store that sells parts, and he told I needed to cut the wire and solder a new jack in,  I asked jeff if he had any knew anything about procedure, the electrician should do to be able to do it, has anyone had any experience in doing it themself 
can I buy a new jack thats not the one from westone, a good quality one 

thanks a lot if you need more info or pictures i'll be glad to provide them 

Of course you can buy a new jack. Even though I dont have the W3 in my mind I think that they have a normal TRS jack and when it is like that you can easily replace it..

Good jacks would be some from Neutrik for example..

But maybe it is better to provide some pictures if I tell only tales because I ve never seen the W3 live and in color..

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 11
You can just buy a new plug depending on what kind you want. I had someone reterminate by Westone ES cable into a straight neutrik so it shouldn't be too difficult as long as whoever is doing the soldering knows what they are doing.

Alternatively you could email Westone and see if they can do anything.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 11
I've done this a few times on some full size headphones using the right angle neutrik mini plugs.  I'm getting ready to do this on my UM3X, there are some good videos online that show you what to do better than can be explained.  As far as the wiring goes, I am thinking that black is probably ground, red is right, and whatever other color is the left channel of the plug.  I've got an MP3 that plays 5 seconds on both, 5 seconds left and then 5 seconds on right, and am going to test it using this method to determine which side is which.  

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Can someone who has rewired the Westone 3s tell me which solder point is the ground. I've connected the ground and sound to alternately to both without any problems. Does it not matter where I connect left/right and ground on these drivers?

http://imageshack.us/a/img269/7690/westone306.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back