Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,591 of 2,224

Quote:
I received my Westone 3's last week, and they have been excellent so far!  I just have one bone to pick with them.  

Do the vocals seem detached, and not as lifelike as other IEMs?  IE7's were my main IEM for the last year, recently switched to the IE8.  Both of these are outstanding for vocals, perhaps it is just the comparison?

Sometimes I feel like vocals sound more pleasing on my Klipsch S4, thought they are not nearly as detailed.  I'd appreciate other listeners' thoughts on this.

I definitely don't hear them that way, they are right where they should be with either Comply's or Shure Olives.  The mids on the W3's are far more present for me than they ever were with the IE8's.  They are crisp, clear and not hidden behind the "veil" of the Senn's.  Your mileage may vary.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #1,592 of 2,224
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I will have to give the Comply tips a try afterall.  I really didn't like Comply's with my TF10.

The W3's do not sound hollow by any means.  Perhaps it is the W3's intense focus that makes the vocals seem too direct and detailed rather than extremely lush as I hear them with the IE8.

I did compare the IE8 and W3 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515145/westone-3-vs-ie8-a-review

Any feedback in that thread would be appreciated.  I'm really having a hard time deciding which one I prefer =X

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #1,593 of 2,224
quick question for the owners.. are the Westone 3 something that you stick in your ear with a craptastic source (macbook out, mobile phone out, will never be amped), start tapping your feet and enjoy music? for those who also own Grado SR60, something like that..i'm looking for something to enjoy music..and not looking for details/analytical

i own HD580, which, is considered pretty hi-end during its days.. and listened to Alessandro MS1.. i really enjoy music with Grado/Alessandro..and I'm looking for something like that with IEMs..

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #1,595 of 2,224

Quote:
quick question for the owners.. are the Westone 3 something that you stick in your ear with a craptastic source (macbook out, mobile phone out, will never be amped), start tapping your feet and enjoy music? for those who also own Grado SR60, something like that..i'm looking for something to enjoy music..and not looking for details/analytical

i own HD580, which, is considered pretty hi-end during its days.. and listened to Alessandro MS1.. i really enjoy music with Grado/Alessandro..and I'm looking for something like that with IEMs..

My W3 are easy to listen from a "craptastic" source unamped, like my Macbook or my old Verizon XV6800 PDA phone.  And they just get better as the source and amp get better.  However, they will reveal hiss in a poor source/amp pretty easily.  Even a cheap Nuforce uDAC USB dac/amp is a nice upgrade over my Macbook's sound, and it has less hiss as well.  I also have no hiss from my 3G/5G Nano or iPhone 3G, 3GS or 4.

I think it's worth a shot.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #1,596 of 2,224

Quote:

My W3 are easy to listen from a "craptastic" source unamped, like my Macbook or my old Verizon XV6800 PDA phone.  And they just get better as the source and amp get better.  However, they will reveal hiss in a poor source/amp pretty easily.  Even a cheap Nuforce uDAC USB dac/amp is a nice upgrade over my Macbook's sound, and it has less hiss as well.  I also have no hiss from my 3G/5G Nano or iPhone 3G, 3GS or 4.

I think it's worth a shot.

Agreed... I listen straight out of my iPhone or clip+ most nights with no hiss.  Once in a while, I'll amp them out of my iPhone, but most times it's plug and play or listen if you will
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #1,597 of 2,224
Can any Westone 3 owners comment on the long term durability of the cables?  Specifically:

1. Are the cables unwinding/unraveling a big deal?  Is there a way to fix them if they unravel?

2. How much does it cost to get Westone CS to fix it, if your warranty is up?

3. Anyone had any problems with the cables outright failing?

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,598 of 2,224
I know that they redid the cables so it would prevent the unwinding problem the original had. So far mine has not unwound but ive only had it for 3 months or so.
Sometimes i see the first twist around the part that goes into the IEM itself undo, but this is probably because i twisted it by accident. It goes back to being winded but i am worried.
I feel like they will only unwind if you do it yourself though.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #1,600 of 2,224
I've had these for about 18 months.  Whenever I notice the cable twist loosing up, I start at the "Y" split and tighten it back up by dangling the wire and spinning it ever 10cm or so, working towards the connector or the drivers.  I've used these quite a bit without issue.  On my UM3X, the cable has gotten 2 good accidental tugs without failure, both times by getting caught on something I was walking by.

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,601 of 2,224
Ok.. these have just taken my listening pleasure to a whole new level..  I'm sitting here with my jaw on my desk.  The combination of W3 - D4 - Media Center 15 - Diana Krall's "From this moment on" in 96/24 FLAC has left me drooling.  Admittedly, this is my first taste of true 96/24 FLAC and I'm hooked.. Wow.. just wow.. Diana Krall is amazing..

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,602 of 2,224
Awaiting a purchase of discounted, new Westone 3s off the Bay.  Can't wait.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,603 of 2,224
"Awaiting a purchase of discounted, new Westone 3s off the Bay.  Can't wait. "

do you have link?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,604 of 2,224

Quote:
Ok.. these have just taken my listening pleasure to a whole new level..  I'm sitting here with my jaw on my desk.  The combination of W3 - D4 - Media Center 15 - Diana Krall's "From this moment on" in 96/24 FLAC has left me drooling.  Admittedly, this is my first taste of true 96/24 FLAC and I'm hooked.. Wow.. just wow.. Diana Krall is amazing..

Stop that drooling @joeyrusso ,your going to short something out .
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #1,605 of 2,224

Quote:
Stop that drooling @joeyrusso ,your going to short something out .
wink_face.gif

LOL, I've resorted to wearing a drool bib, but it's worth it.  I've found the perfect setup for MY ears.  The Westone 3's with Shure olives, the D4 Mamba via USB as my DAC and amp, fed FLAC by Foobar2K (forget Media Center 15).  It was a long road, but I'm finally there.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back