Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,546 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading some threads on head-fi and there seems to be a divide between the W3s and IE8s. I don't understand where this is coming from because both are great IEMs. But I have to give the edge to the W3s, they just seem to do everything better than the IE8s, except the IE8s have a bigger soundstage. I just don't understand how the IE8s can make any other argument over the W3s. I find the IE8s to have an overwhelming bass, forward mids, and recessed(yet smooth) highs. The W3s are a bit bolder with a tight bass, similar mids, and most importantly, sparkling highs that are missing from the IE8s. So my search for the perfect IEM is complete... for now. Add me to the list of Westone 3 supporters!

W3 vs. IE8 is an ongoing debate and one that I followed closely when I was looking to sell my SE530. Maybe it's now obsolete with the introduction of the Ortofon and Monster Turbines (not to mention JH13/16), but I still find the discussion interesting. Most of the polls seemed to show more people preferred the IE8, but I don't know how many of those people really heard both IEMs extensively or at all. I'm just glad that I now own both and can decide for myself.

What I've learned about the IE8 is that, if you're planning on listening straight from the headphone out of an iPod with stock tips or Sony hybrids, the bass is a bit too boomy and gives me headaches after prolonged listening. Biflanges from eBay solve this problem, but aren't as comfortable as the hybrids. If you have a decent amp or a player with EQ, the IE8's bass can be reigned in (although EQing the bass can just make it sound distant and unnatural).

For me, it comes down to 2 IEMs for 2 different uses. I prefer the IE8 for indoor listening because its relative lack of isolation isn't an issue, and I don't need an amp to control the volume on my iPod like I do with my W3 (the W3 with custom tips is way too loud on my Touch in quiet environments). I also prefer the IE8 for working out, because the cable doesn't hit my chest when I run and produces no microphonics (perhaps in part because of the shallow insertion of tips). But for commuting and listening with my D4 amp, I much prefer the W3 for its isolation and synergy with the D4.

In terms of presentation, the IE8's sound has a warmth that permeates all the frequencies (and not just the bass like with the W3). The IE8 sometimes sounds a bit more musical and integrated, whereas the W3 sometimes presents the frequencies like they're cleanly separated. I find the W3 to sound a bit flat, especially in the midrange and treble, if I don't EQ up those frequencies. On the other hand, the IE8 needs less EQ (maybe just a tip down in the bass and a slight tip in the treble).

In the end, the choice comes down to whether you prefer the W3's quick and accurate headstage and crisp details (with a presentation that may sound flat or incoherent to some), or the IE8's more romantic openness and lushness (which may come at the expense of some details and bass intrusion).

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #1,548 of 2,224
Bought a pair of UM3X's from a distributor here in Canada and accidentally got sent the W3's instead. With the box sitting there in front of me, I couldn't bring myself to send them back and have to wait a few more days to get on the aural gravy train. So I opened them and tried 'em on.

My immediate impressions weren't thrilling. Being familiar with universal IEMs, it didn't take me long to get the right set of tips The bass was too in my face, the treble seemed hyped up, too, and they seemed fatiguing to the ear after a couple of hours. After a few days of use, I was a little miffed, as I was looking for an IEM that I could do some audio production with... and the W3s were far from neutral.

But something in me told me to keep the W3s. And so I went out a purchased the UM3X as well. Immediately, the UM3X was more to my liking... much closer to the flatter sound of a monitor; everything seemed much more in check. And I've been listening to the UM3X almost non-stop for the last week.

Anyway.

For poops and chuckles, I had some club music that I wanted a little extra oomph for tonight, so I tossed in the W3s to give it a go. I'm real glad I didn't send them back. After the mental burn-in from the more neutral UM3Xs, the W3s are a real fun change... like they open everything up, make it punchier, warmer, with more sparkle on the high end. Real exciting.

But, yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep both. For some reason (probably owing to the late hour), all I can think of is that old Mini-Wheats commercial. Where that talking Mini-Wheat goes on about having a fun and a serious side. It's like I've got both now: the UM3X for when I want to do production and critical listening, and the W3 when I just want things to rip and be more exciting.

I am somewhat sad to report, however, that I cannot get the idea of procuring myself a JH13/16 out of my mind. hahaha

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #1,549 of 2,224
just curious, any W3 or W2 owner here that would send me the medium grey silicon tips? I think I am keeping the UM3X and I get the best fit with those tips which Westone did not include with the 3x.

May 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,550 of 2,224
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but could you just use a small dab from a hot glue gun (say, every third) on the cable of the W3's, to stop them unwinding so bad? This way it would be isolated to a third of the cable, maybe, just maybe, helping the situation?

Just something that popped into my head today...

ps. I've only just ordered the W3's, so I havent actually experienced the cable issue first hand yet.

May 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #1,551 of 2,224
My first W3's had that cable issue, in addition to the pull-lock thing being loose and useless, but I complained and got them replaced with a newer model (I could tell from the plug). The new cable does not unwind at all, and the new pull-lock is tight. Excellent customer service also btw.

May 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,552 of 2,224
Yeah..mine have a 2-2010 inspection card in them, and they have a newer slightly smaller plug on them. Only had them 3 months so far but no sign of any unraveling of the cord. I wouldn't want to put any glue on them personally as a precaution. As haveblue sais..good customer service. That is mho.

May 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,553 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading some threads on head-fi and there seems to be a divide between the W3s and IE8s. I don't understand where this is coming from because both are great IEMs. But I have to give the edge to the W3s, they just seem to do everything better than the IE8s, except the IE8s have a bigger soundstage. I just don't understand how the IE8s can make any other argument over the W3s. I find the IE8s to have an overwhelming bass, forward mids, and recessed(yet smooth) highs. The W3s are a bit bolder with a tight bass, similar mids, and most importantly, sparkling highs that are missing from the IE8s. So my search for the perfect IEM is complete... for now. Add me to the list of Westone 3 supporters!

+1

May 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #1,554 of 2,224
There were some issues with the initial lot of cables back in late 2008/early 2009 that some folks were having. Those were resolved and then we came out with a newer cable with the smaller plug. I have not heard of any unraveling since the "twist" is much tighter on this cable.

May 4, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #1,555 of 2,224
Ahh, that's good to know. The thought did cross my mind, wondering if they'd fixed the problem, looking at the dates of the posts when people were complaining.

At least I know that I'm in good hands if, god forbid, anything does go wrong.

They arrived at work today. The one day that I forgot to bring the ipod in. Youtube does its job by providing music, but there is no way that I am even bothering to turn it up to check out the SQ, being Youtube. Will be a long bus ride home with W3's in pocket but no ipod on me.

May 4, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #1,556 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by House Groove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, that's good to know. The thought did cross my mind, wondering if they'd fixed the problem, looking at the dates of the posts when people were complaining.

At least I know that I'm in good hands if, god forbid, anything does go wrong.

They arrived at work today. The one day that I forgot to bring the ipod in. Youtube does its job by providing music, but there is no way that I am even bothering to turn it up to check out the SQ, being Youtube. Will be a long bus ride home with W3's in pocket but no ipod on me.

Youtube isn't completely awful when you have it play above 320k

May 30, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,559 of 2,224
Over the ear in front.

May 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,560 of 2,224
^^^ Same for me.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back