Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #1,036 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all of these reviews, I seriously want to see someone compare klipsch custom 3's where the only thing I have to say badly is with cable noise, and westone 3's which have a mix report.

Westone 3's cable is THE best cable out there. and as far as the mixed reports go..
Westone 3's are AWESOME!
but....
Try W3's if you can, or just buy them and listen to them. (as there are a little chances that you don't like them as much as your previous IEM's - depends on your taste)
as u might already know that W3's aren't so easy to evaluate, so you can't trust other's opinion. They might be perfect for your ears, or the sibilance might irritate you until you find a solution (aka, the right tip)
In short, buy them --> try all tips available --> Decide
I personally love W3's! and definitely recommend them!

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #1,037 of 2,224
I think you described it very accurately Jogiya. They really do take a lot of experimentation. The upside to this is that the reward is huge once you get it right.
I have settled on tri-flanges modded to be bi-flanges. Unfortunately the medium Shure Olives that were the best standard tips for my SE530s just do not work anymore - due to the W3's build they do not go deep enough.

Crazily enough as a second step I decided to shorten the biflanges a further two millimeters. That was a bad idea! Isolation dropped, sound became thinner, soundstage & detail went etc.
As I do not have a virgin pair of tri-flanges at hand for now I just do not put my current pair fully onto the stem of the W3s - compensating thus for the missing 2mm. And it works, sound is fantastic again
ksc75smile.gif

What this shows is that minuscle changes can affect sound. So keep trying!

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #1,038 of 2,224
If I already have a set of Shure SE530's, which I like, will there be a noticeable improvement to justify spending a load of cash again the W3's?

PS, I'm not an audiophile. The SE530's were my first expensive set after reading various reviews.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #1,039 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all of these reviews, I seriously want to see someone compare klipsch custom 3's where the only thing I have to say badly is with cable noise, and westone 3's which have a mix report.

Not sure how much I can tell you, but while I am one of those who had a positive experience with the Custom 3s, I sold them after listening to the W3s for 30-45 minutes. Why? Because I found the W3 sound to be on another level in terms of detail and bass, just a very stark contrast. Don't have a lot of reasons, other than listening enjoyment. I will say they Custom 3s, with the medium single flange, were very comfy and sounded excellent for the price I paid ($150), but I didn't think they were worth their original $300 MSRP.

The Westones, however, justified their original pricetag of $400, though I got lucky and was able to buy them for $260 with the MS Cashback and an ebay coupon. To me, if you are leaning towards getting the M3s, then that's the way to go.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #1,040 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you described it very accurately Jogiya. They really do take a lot of experimentation. The upside to this is that the reward is huge once you get it right.
I have settled on tri-flanges modded to be bi-flanges. Unfortunately the medium Shure Olives that were the best standard tips for my SE530s just do not work anymore - due to the W3's build they do not go deep enough.

Crazily enough as a second step I decided to shorten the biflanges a further two millimeters. That was a bad idea! Isolation dropped, sound became thinner, soundstage & detail went etc.
As I do not have a virgin pair of tri-flanges at hand for now I just do not put my current pair fully onto the stem of the W3s - compensating thus for the missing 2mm. And it works, sound is fantastic again
ksc75smile.gif

Lolz... i did the exact same thing!!
I too shortened the triple flange tips like you did.. = bad idea! X2!!

thankx for letting me know that shure olives don't go well with W3's.. was gonna buy them tomorrow :p

Does any tip other than the Tri-flange work well with W3's?? (help decrease sibilance).... anyone??
and how long are the Ety foamies? (FeedMeTrance.. a little help here!)
do they reduce sibilance? (given if experienced sibilance with other tips)
Also, did an amplifier reduce sibilance for anyone?

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #1,042 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janni /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ksc75smile.gif

I've been advising people to trim them 1 mm at a time and listen, and stop trimming when they sound good. I learned that lesson with a 5-pack of triple flange I got from ebay, that now only has one stock pair left. Stock they are too long for my ear canals, and make the W3 hang out of my ears, and offer an artificial flavoring to the sound.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #1,043 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolz... i did the exact same thing!!
I too shortened the triple flange tips like you did.. = bad idea! X2!!

thankx for letting me know that shure olives don't go well with W3's.. was gonna buy them tomorrow :p

Does any tip other than the Tri-flange work well with W3's?? (help decrease sibilance).... anyone??
and how long are the Ety foamies? (FeedMeTrance.. a little help here!)
do they reduce sibilance? (given if experienced sibilance with other tips)
Also, did an amplifier reduce sibilance for anyone?

I use the grey silicone tips if I am not using the UM-56 (like in an environment where I have to insert and remove frequently). They sound good to me, and are more comfortable than my trimmed triple flange that make my ears itch.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #1,044 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the grey silicone tips if I am not using the UM-56 (like in an environment where I have to insert and remove frequently). They sound good to me, and are more comfortable than my trimmed triple flange that make my ears itch.

I'd love to be using the grey soft flex tips (they're generally one of my faves), but sadly they accentuate the W3's sibilance for me. As I am not very fond of foam tips, I've resorted to using some Shure tri-turned-bi-flange tips I'd trimmed down for my Future Sonics FS-1 awhile back. Some improvement, to be sure, but a modicum of sibilance remains. I'll try other variations of trimmed-down tri-flanges when I have the time and report back my findings (which will only be useful to my ears
tongue.gif
).

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #1,045 of 2,224
Dec 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #1,046 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try this...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...5/#post5164859

I bought the JAYS silicons tips to try with the W3, and they were marginally worse than the default grey silicon tips, and since I have plenty of Blu Tack... I'm going to get busy
icon10.gif

Interesting. Does this have anything to do with sibilance for you, or are you just hoping to improve isolation?

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #1,047 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Does this have anything to do with sibilance for you, or are you just hoping to improve isolation?

Definitely the sibilance, yes. I tried the Shure Olives, JAYS tips, plus the Image gels, and nothing got even close. When I'm lucky enough to hear a run of tracks with no sibilance, I can really start to appreciate how nice they sound. But I'm always sssssssslightly on edge waiting for it to appear
biggrin.gif

So I'm really hoping this 'Blu Tack' idea might actually help a little. It's worth a try anyway.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #1,048 of 2,224
Quote:

When I'm lucky enough to hear a run of tracks with no sibilance, I can really start to appreciate how nice they sound. But I'm always sssssssslightly on edge waiting for it to appear
biggrin.gif

Ah, I know the feeling well...

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #1,049 of 2,224
Quote:

But I'm always sssssssslightly on edge waiting for it to appear
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I know the feeling well...

As do I unfortunately. It sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread