Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #406 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by toucam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eBay UK is doing a 15% off on all purchases before 4/12 if you pay by Paypal (use this code CUKGV3 before submit payment).
I'm thinking of getting it from Freq City on eBay (zolton2), with discount final price plus P&P is £262-£39 = £223.
smile_phones.gif

I had to cancel my order with Mike because the 'paypal money request' form he sent me had nowhere to apply the eBay code. It wouldn't work with the 'send money' option either. So I reordered with someone else and paid the regular way. Maybe the code can only be used with a normal eBay invoice? Anyway, I would check first, just to be sure.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #407 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't manufacturing process or change of material affect the sound?

Technically I suppose it could but I got the impression that is not supposed to be the case.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #408 of 2,224
Quote:

I bought a pair of UM1 from Mike before and it was delivered by Royal Mail so no custom charges
tongue_smile.gif

Just because you received an item via Royal Mail doesn't mean it wasn't subject to any customs charges - it just means that your UM1s managed to slip through the net that time. Anything coming from abroad that costs over a certain amount is subject to custom charges no matter who the courier is, though they'll all charge a different amount as a handing fee if they intercept your item. Sometimes things slip through, sometimes they don't.

If Mike from eBay doesn't include something on his packaging that states the price, and Royal Mail decide to check the contents of the package, you could be charged VAT on the regular retail price (aprox. £265) plus the cost of the postage (so roughly £40 in VAT) plus Royal Mail can also charge you a handling fee for dealing with HMM Customs (roughly £15) and it can delay the delivery by another couple of weeks. I know, becuase it's happened to me.

If you're lucky and your item gets through unhindered you'll get yourself a nice little bargain, but if it gets intercepted you could be looking at at least £50 extar in charges and a delay of a few weeks ... that's the gamble!

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #409 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks elnero. I must have missed that somehow. Mind you, I'd like to know if anyone's been able to compare the protoype with the final release, and can say definitively, "Yes. These sound exactly the same". Of course, if that's already been mentioned too, then feel free to point me (no pushing!!), in the general direction of the 'search' feature
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Can't link you due to stupid iPhone no cut and paste. Search for posts by me on tues or wednesday.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #410 of 2,224
Guys, I am probably missing something, but where are said contrasting reviews?

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #411 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you received an item via Royal Mail doesn't mean it wasn't subject to any customs charges - it just means that your UM1s managed to slip through the net that time. Anything coming from abroad that costs over a certain amount is subject to custom charges no matter who the courier is, though they'll all charge a different amount as a handing fee if they intercept your item. Sometimes things slip through, sometimes they don't.

If Mike from eBay doesn't include something on his packaging that states the price, and Royal Mail decide to check the contents of the package, you could be charged VAT on the regular retail price (aprox. £265) plus the cost of the postage (so roughly £40 in VAT) plus Royal Mail can also charge you a handling fee for dealing with HMM Customs (roughly £15) and it can delay the delivery by another couple of weeks. I know, becuase it's happened to me.

If you're lucky and your item gets through unhindered you'll get yourself a nice little bargain, but if it gets intercepted you could be looking at at least £50 extar in charges and a delay of a few weeks ... that's the gamble!

Forgot to mention that it was marked "$15 earphones" hence no custom charge. My experience is that with FedEx and ParcelForce even if the package is declared low value/gift, the chance of having to pay custom charges is much higher than with RM.

@ soozieq, you managed to use the 15% discount with the other seller?

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #412 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I am probably missing something, but where are said contrasting reviews?

I think what they mean are impressions as there aren't any full reviews out there yet.
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #414 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressions (cut)

Hey Scyth,

How did you like the deep bass? How low do the Westone 3 go?

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #415 of 2,224
Quote:

@ soozieq, you managed to use the 15% discount with the other seller?

Yes, with Marcopoloca one of the very friendly authorised eBay dealers for Westone. He offers free international shipping, but there was no way I could wait a second longer than I had to, so I asked for express shipping
ksc75smile.gif

It cost £32, but the discount was £38, which took care of shipping with a bit left over to go towards customs fees. Just make sure you pay by regular eBay invoice, because there's a space to add any promotional codes on there, and I couldn't see this anywhere else.

Tony
- the conflicting reviews are on one of the Jaben forums. I saw the link... but I can't find it now, ooops. But I remember not feeling too positive after I'd read them. It's probably just the normal paranoia setting in
biggrin.gif

EDIT: toucam - Ha ha. You did it already. I must learn to type faster
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #417 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just arrived in the mail from FREQ CITY SOUND!!!!

Wooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

-Pony

Wow! You win the prize! I would hope you post up initial impressions shortly! We're all dying to hear actual customer thoughts.

Congrats!

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #418 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just arrived in the mail from FREQ CITY SOUND!!!!

Wooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

-Pony

Exciting times!! Photos and review!!!
beyersmile.png

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #419 of 2,224
Soozie:

Okay, I read the Jaben thread, especially the impressions I think turned you away from the Westone 3. Frankly I don't find them much reliable, especially reading how the user feels about his ESW9 and Atrio M5.

From the sound signature that people are agreeing the Westone 3 to have, I think it's an interesting IEM for my taste, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back