Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #391 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribalambient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Begin turkey day orgy…

jump on head-fi in tryptophan stupor…

stumble on Westone 3 thread…

pull trigger using MS live cashback program and 10% ebay coupon…

return wallet to oxygen tent $259 lighter…

eat pumpkin pie…

Thanksgiving 2008…

PRICELESS!

That's funny, thanks for the chuckle!
icon10.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #392 of 2,224
Well shoot, my parents have been forcing me to think of ideas to waste money on me lately (for birthday and Christmas).
redface.gif

I was recently on a noisy airplane and a windy car ride within the past two days with only a KSC75 on, and it was just hell not being able to hear all the good stuff.

I've always been disappointed in the end by every IEM I tried:

UE super.fi 5 Pro (the KSC75 beat that thing to a pulp)
ER4P/S (nice, but sounded too "digital")
UE triple.fi 10 Pro (I could hear the recessed mids eventually...)

But hey, this looks promising, after all the drama and whatnot!

I'll probably order it later on today off of Earphone Solutions via eBay and apply all those discounts...until then, I hope all of you don't sap the world supply.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #393 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3 sound as good as the source. My 2G ipod nano and 5.5G ipod video headphone out don't sound good enough with anything, but that is their fault and their LOD always sounds better with an amp. But my 3G nano headphone out sounds nice without an amp, and my iPhone 3G sounds even better. So, I can enjoy those with no amp and be happy. But the nanos, iphone and iMod with Predator or Pico through LOD still sound the best, but the iPhone 3G headphone out sounds close yet still a little better with a good LOD/amp.

HeadphoneAddict, can you state which of the three devices (Nano, iPhone, iMod) sounds the best with a good LOD and an amp? As regards price and portability, I would prefer to use the 3G Nano with LOD and amp, but if I'm not sure if the iPhone 3G with a LOD and amp actually sounds better and therefore would be the better choice purely SQ-wise.

edit: I want to use the combo with the new W3, so it's on-topic. :)

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #394 of 2,224
Isn't it kind of irrelevant which device you are using as the source, if you are using the line out and an amp? I would think that the lineouts on all the Apple devices are going to be similar if not identical in SQ. The difference is with the amps on the different devices. FWIW, I never noticed any differences between the SQ of a 2G and 3G Nano using the lineout and a Tomahawk (with SE530's and UM2's). Actually, I had a hard time noticing much if any difference with the amp on the 3G Nano and the lineout/Tomahawk combo, and ending up selling the Tomahawk, just for the convenience of not having to carry the amp.

Andrew

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #395 of 2,224
I can't wait to hear them out of my Sony A829. I'm sure that the little DAP will do nothing but bring out the best the W3 has to offer. waiting waiting waiting..........

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #396 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to hear them out of my Sony A829.

cn11, I see we're going to have exactly the same setup again
biggrin.gif

I'd be interested to know how you think the W3 compares with the Trips, because I know you liked them, but couldn't get on with the fit. I'm looking forward to some extensive testing between the two phones, because I do still like my Trips a lot and the W3 has a lot to live up to. I know the W3 is going to win out on comfort, but sound... well, I won't know till they get here, and the waiting is tortuous, especially with so many mixed reviews.

One of my major concerns is that they no longer sound like the prototype which was raved about eighteen months ago, and maybe that's why the reviews are so conflicting.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #397 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11, I see we're going to have exactly the same setup again
biggrin.gif

One of my major concerns is that they no longer sound like the prototype which was raved about eighteen months ago, and maybe that's why the reviews are so conflicting.

hmmm...

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #398 of 2,224
I'm pretty sure p0wderh0und23 did say earlier in the thread that they were the same, it was only the manufacturing process that was changed.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #400 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure p0wderh0und23 did say earlier in the thread that they were the same, it was only the manufacturing process that was changed.

Can't manufacturing process or change of material affect the sound?

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #401 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i doubt the production model is any different. the reviews are conflicting because we're finally reading about some people that weren't impressed by them. we all hear things differently.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #402 of 2,224
live cashback is up to 30% from 25% today I believe
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully I can convince the family to help me pay for the westone 3's for christmas

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #403 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a small point, but I think earphones solutions send stuff by FedEx rather than Parcelforce (or at least they did when they sent my UM2s). I think FedEx only charge about £6 for handling the custom fees.

I still think Buying from PJ BOX will work out a lot cheaper for UK buyers at the moment though. It's very difficult to work out exactly how much the Westone 3 would cost to buy abroad and import, but my best guess based on the current exchange rate is aproximately £285 before you even include the customs charges and handling fee (which is going to be another £10-£15 on top even if earphone solutions put a lower product value on the import documents).

eBay UK is doing a 15% off on all purchases before 4/12 if you pay by Paypal (use this code CUKGV3 before submit payment).
I'm thinking of getting it from Freq City on eBay (zolton2), with discount final price plus P&P is £262-£39 = £223.
smile_phones.gif

I bought a pair of UM1 from Mike before and it was delivered by Royal Mail so no custom charges
tongue_smile.gif

Just waiting for feedbacks from people before taking the plunge to replace my SE530.
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #404 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure p0wderh0und23 did say earlier in the thread that they were the same,
it was only the manufacturing process that was changed.

Thanks elnero. I must have missed that somehow. Mind you, I'd like to know if anyone's been able to compare the protoype with the final release, and can say definitively, "Yes. These sound exactly the same". Of course, if that's already been mentioned too, then feel free to point me (no pushing!!), in the general direction of the 'search' feature
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back