Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #331 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basshead but bright IEMs. What?

I never claimed that Westone 3 is bright, but you know some of these treblephobes have very little tolerance to treble. And those people are going to be complaining.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #332 of 2,224
Scytheavatar - Great review!

In what respect may some people actually prefer UM2? The more agressive forceful bass?

I am a very big fan of UM2 and find very little fault with it. If you are saying W3 has a little better treble as being the main "improvement" that is still a great step up on an already great product.

While there's no denying W3 would be better than UM2 it makes sense that Westone wouldn't stray too far from what they once perceived as already a perfect IEM (in the UM2).

I look forward to more reviews!

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #333 of 2,224
Are there any UM2/W3 owners who have also owned the SF5 Pro and TF10, that can tell us if there's the same increase in improvement from one to the other? I had the SF5 as my first upgrade from stock buds almost 2 years ago, and sold them after a few months. When I got the TF10, they fixed everything I didn't care for in the SF5, and I thought they were a really good 'upgrade'.

When I had the UM2's for just a day (???), many moons ago, I didn't like the midrange at all, it was toooooooooooo forward for my ears, and too close to my only functioning brain cell. I felt the soundstage was very narrow.

So I just want to know if the 'jump' in quality between the UM2/W3 is the same as between the SF5/TF10.

HeadphoneAddict
, I seem to remember you had the SF5/TF10?

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #334 of 2,224
I'm wondering whether it's worth trading in my 530's for them.
Shame there nowhere near me in the UK that I can test this sort of kit. I have to buy it and hope for the best
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #335 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering whether it's worth trading in my 530's for them.
Shame there nowhere near me in the UK that I can test this sort of kit. I have to buy it and hope for the best
confused_face_2.gif

Unfortunately the case. I'm actually pretty surprised at the shortage of dealers of Westone products in the UK!

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #336 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any UM2/W3 owners who have also owned the SF5 Pro and TF10, that can tell us if there's the same increase in improvement from one to the other? I had the SF5 as my first upgrade from stock buds almost 2 years ago, and sold them after a few months. When I got the TF10, they fixed everything I didn't care for in the SF5, and I thought they were a really good 'upgrade'.

When I had the UM2's for just a day (???), many moons ago, I didn't like the midrange at all, it was toooooooooooo forward for my ears, and too close to my only functioning brain cell. I felt the soundstage was very narrow.

So I just want to know if the 'jump' in quality between the UM2/W3 is the same as between the SF5/TF10.

HeadphoneAddict
, I seem to remember you had the SF5/TF10?

Haven't had the UM2, but the Westone 3 are as big a move above SE530 and the Triple.fi 10pro are above the Super.fi 5 pro, and I prefer the Westone above the Triple.fi too.

I'm working on my review but I don't have those particular earphones for comparison anymore. I'll have Image X10, depodded IM716, Denon C700, SE530 re-tuned in a custom shell, Livewires customs and Freq Show customs (and Marshmallows).

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #337 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't had the UM2, but the Westone 3 are as big a move above SE530 and the Triple.fi 10pro are above the Super.fi 5 pro, and I prefer the Westone above the Triple.fi too.

Wow, that's a pretty big comment. I was looking for a replacement for the SE530 and now that's a big tease. I'll be waiting for your review for sure!

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #338 of 2,224
Yea, me too. Let's not forget when SE530 came out they were the greatest invention in audio in decades and now (that they've been out a while) they are seen by hundreds as very average IEM's. Really, go back a couple years and read the reviews and now look at the comments it's almost comical how crappy they have become. Go figure.....

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #339 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, good. That will do for me. I know you like the E500/SE530 a lot, so I'm very interested in hearing your comparisons between those and the W3. Please tell me the frequencies are a little more connected
smile_phones.gif
- I found the separation on the Shures distracted me to the point where I just couldn't get involved with the music. So I really want to know about that!

I already know the TF10 sound, and I like it. So provided the W3 can provide the same kind of soundstage, and the same richness of tone, I'll be quite happy.

Have fun listening to all of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #340 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, me too. Let's not forget when SE530 came out they were the greatest invention in audio in decades and now (that they've been out a while) they are seen by hundreds as very average IEM's. Go figure.....

Spyro, you're like the phrophet of doom
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #342 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lemme know if you want to borrow my TF10's or E530's.

I think he meant the UM2's powderhound but I'm sure, being a rep for Westone, you can dig em up a pair of those!
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #343 of 2,224
Hi everyone,
this really is my very first post here - after years of lurking in the dark learning from all of you...
Anyway, I felt the event of the W3 finally making it into the real world was reason enough to get real myself on head-fi.
I had waited for it a looong while till I finally gave up and moved to SE530s. Was a huge improvement over the E4Cs that I had before, but anyway my order for the W3s is with earphonesolutions already
tongue.gif

cheers
Janni

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #345 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,
this really is my very first post here - after years of lurking in the dark learning from all of you...
Janni

Hello Janni, and welcome to Head-Fi
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back