Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #271 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Live Search - 25% for american customers only ? If not, what can i do to obtain this reduction ? Thanks !
biggrin.gif

Yes, US residents only!

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #272 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So W3 sounds much closer to a SE530 than a TF10.

Now wondering if and how much better W3 is to SE530?

Does W3 really sound closer to SE530 than the Triple.Fis? The Shure has terrible highs and emphasis on the bass, to me, they sounded imbalanced especially when listening to classical pieces and female pop vocals. Base on esmallits01's review, it doesn't appear to have the same problem. I guess that's a good news!

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #273 of 2,224
SE530 terrible highs ???? Perhaps ONLY compared to an ER4.

Obviously I have not heard W3 yet but from what it sounds like in comparing SE530 to W3:

- Midrange basically same (whereas TFPro very recessed)
- Bass tight and detailed on both but W3 going a little deeper.
- Treble slightly more detailed than SE530.

Keep in mind it is being described as a warm IEM (like SE530). And keep in mind SE530 is no slouch in any regard as far as I am concerned.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #274 of 2,224
I only listened to the prototype so please take my words with grain of salt.

When I tried Westone 3 prototype and SE530 back to back, their sound signature was very different.

SE530 had slightly larger amount of bass but felt a bit bloated compared to Westone 3. Westone 3's bass felt deeper and firm. I felt that Westone 3's bass was very similar to UM2.

SE530 had more details in the mid region, but felt less integrated with the music when compared to Westone 3. Westone 3 put out a decent amount of details with very rich sound in general. The music was more enjoyable with Westone 3. UM2, when compared to Westone 3, sounded dull due to lack of clarity in the mid/highs.

I auditioned the prototype with my friend (newbie to headphones) and we both instantly agreed that Westone 3, among all IEMs (TF10, SE530, UM2) sounded closest to a full-size headphone (HD650 in particular). I've been drooling to get one ever since.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #275 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormable /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I tried Westone 3 prototype and SE530 back to back, their sound signature was very different.

SE530 had slightly larger amount of bass but felt a bit bloated compared to Westone 3. Westone 3's bass felt deeper and firm. I felt that Westone 3's bass was very similar to UM2.

SE530 had more details in the mid region, but felt less integrated with the music when compared to Westone 3. Westone 3 put out a decent amount of details with very rich sound in general. The music was more enjoyable with Westone 3. UM2, when compared to Westone 3, sounded dull due to lack of clarity in the mid/highs.

Great stuff!! Thanks. Reading the limited reviews out there, really make me drool all over them. As long as they don't have the same rolled off treble problem, I'll get them in a heart beat.

No offense, Spyro, I had the SE530 (or E500) for 2 years and to me, they were un-listenable without an amp to balance the sound a little. Just not my cup of tea. Now that I've lost them (....shame), I would not get the same thing again or anything that resembles them (and no, I don't like the look of the TF10).

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #276 of 2,224
How was the comfort level of the Westone 3 compared to the Shure 530?

Can anyone speak to the comfort level compared to the Klipsch Imagines?

Thanks,

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #277 of 2,224
I only ever owned the UM1s from Westone, and it's like you are hardly wearing any phones at all. I didn't like the sound sig, mind you, but comfort-wise, they were great. Sent them back in a week. Assume the Custom 3s will be the same. As for comparing them to the Images, they are different styles, but probably the comfort champs in their respective weight classes, bar none. The images are barely there, if you find the right tip. I prefer the bi-flanges, others like Complys. Etc.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #278 of 2,224
I've become a Comply convert for both the image X10 and my Ety 4ps. So comfortable I don't even know they're in my ears. And tried Klipsch's eartips as well as Etys. Then discovered the Complys. and O boy, what a difference

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #279 of 2,224
You know, for some strange reason, I have a bag of those Comply T100 shorts. Now you are gonna make me try them. I resisted. I am just worried those little buggers will come off in my ears. How well do they adhere to the X10 sound tube?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #280 of 2,224
Hey powerhound, do you happen to know a catalogue number for the fit kit? My local Westone dealer couldn't find anything on the Westone 3's.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #281 of 2,224
Comfort! YES! It slipped right in without effort. Glided in and remains snuggly fitted. I have no problems with the Triple-fi fit. But when I tried the W3, now I finally understand how comfy iems can get.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #282 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How was the comfort level of the Westone 3 compared to the Shure 530?

Can anyone speak to the comfort level compared to the Klipsch Imagines?

Thanks,

For as long as a pair IEMs uses a pair of Comply Tips, nothing can beat it in terms of comfort. In other words, Comply Tips are the most comfortable tips available out there. I doubt anything can beat it.

EDIT: And any news on Australian distributors for Westone, powderhound? I wanna calculate whether it's cheaper to buy from them or buy from other sources
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #283 of 2,224
I want to know how they look sticking out of the ear. Obviously they are not as ridiculous as TF10s, but will I look like a total frankenstein wearing these?

I saw the image on earphonesolutions, but it's difficult to tell what it looks like from head-on view

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #284 of 2,224
Nov 25, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #285 of 2,224
Quote:

In the photo in the second link posted above, it looks like the "3" had been yanked around a bit and was tilted outward slightly. That's no surprise...the test subject had been riding for a couple of hours when that photo was taken.

Just to give you an idea of the ergonomics and profile, here's a different photo perspective. This particular "3" was fitted with small Comply foam tips.

424053599_LhcdX-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back