Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #2,151 of 2,224
Based on what I'm reading on the forums, the newer ones seem to be without the mid bass hump. If I'm not mistaken it was also a similar situation with the Senn IE8 and which its successor the IE80 addressed. Now I just need to get hold of a TF10 to complete my old skool collection :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,152 of 2,224
  Based on what I'm reading on the forums, the newer ones seem to be without the mid bass hump. If I'm not mistaken it was also a similar situation with the Senn IE8 and which its successor the IE80 addressed. Now I just need to get hold of a TF10 to complete my old skool collection :)

W30 is an amazing improvement over W3.  There is actually a really nice midrange....vocals are great!  Yes, bass is much more linear, treble still intact like with W3.  My #1 choice IEM in the $300-400 range.

Unfortunately UE900 was not the improvement over TF10  (IMHO).  Better midrange but worse bass and treble.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,153 of 2,224

W30 is an amazing improvement over W3.  There is actually a really nice midrange....vocals are great!  Yes, bass is much more linear, treble still intact like with W3.  My #1 choice IEM in the $300-400 range.

Unfortunately UE900 was not the improvement over TF10  (IMHO).  Better midrange but worse bass and treble.

Looks like an improvement then. I only hope they haven't lost the Westone 'magic' that made them so musical and pleasant to listen to:)

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,154 of 2,224
I just received my W3 this morning and it sounds amazing!! So worth the $100!  

P.S. I was playing tennis on the weekend and my hand caught the cable of my um3x whilst preparing to hit a backhand. They got ripped out of ears and onto the concrete floor. Ended up with two small hair line scratches on the inner black shell. Seeing these beautifully hand crafted iem suffering any sort of damage just breaks my heart
frown.gif
. I swear never to exercise with my um3x every again. That what the w3s are for.   

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #2,155 of 2,224
I've never heard of an iem as musical as the W3's. The sound stage is huge and can hear so much detail. Sibilance was initially quite noticeable but has somehow completely disappeared over time. The mid bass hump is only noticeable on particular tracks and even then I don't mind it. Yes the mid range is quite recessed but only when compared to the um3x right after listening to the w3's.    

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #2,156 of 2,224
  I just received my W3 this morning and it sounds amazing!! So worth the $100!  

P.S. I was playing tennis on the weekend and my hand caught the cable of my um3x whilst preparing to hit a backhand. They got ripped out of ears and onto the concrete floor. Ended up with two small hair line scratches on the inner black shell. Seeing these beautifully hand crafted iem suffering any sort of damage just breaks my heart
frown.gif
. I swear never to exercise with my um3x every again. That what the w3s are for.   

Just an excuse to get them reshelled into customs :p

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #2,157 of 2,224
After spending more time with the w3's today, I can conclude there's a little to much mid bass and very little sub bass. The um3x definitely has the better bass of the two hands down. Having said that, the w3's bass gives the impression that it's coming from a distance hence sounds less fatiguing and more fun.  

I also wish the W3 had a detachable cable.

Can somebody confirm if it's normal for the um3x to sound louder at the same volume than the W3's. I always thought it was the other way round. 

Edit: The um3x is easily superior than the w3's hands down. Has much better clarity and transparency over all. Crescendo and decrescendo during loud and quiet passages is suddenly noticeable when immediately switching from the w3's to the um3x. Instrument separation is so much more superior to the w3's that it's not even in the same leaque (honestly night and day). Bass quantity of the um3x is equal to the w3's, has equal impact when the track called for it. Much more sub bass with no bass hump. On some tracks, there's so much sibilance on the w3's that's it almost unlistenable. Listening to the same tracks with the um3x, sibilance is smoothed out and gone.
The um3x are truly special. Having the w3's makes more appreciate my um3x even more.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back