Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,101 of 2,224
  Have you tried diy'ing it?  Take the core of the foamie that you can't/won't use with the set that came with the westone's and strip it so the core remains.  Then take the core and put the tip you posted above on it.  Make sure that it stays on the core itself and then put back on the nozzle itself.  Be careful doing this as it may come off in your ear!  Other option is to try shure olive tips.

I've been trying the trufit tips that I got on saturday at work today.  First off I tried the red long ones, but found whilst they offered excellent isolation they were slightly TOO long for my ear and the monitor itself became a bit uncomfortable.  That and the fact the tip seemed to boost the bass a bit too much for my taste.  So next at break, I swopped over to the clear black ones and this was more like it except I lost a bit of isolation but not too bad.  Not sure whether to stick with this or try the blue ones that came with them.  So far so good and well worth the £20 or so it cost.  I have read about tips altering the sound before but never actually experienced it like this before!

That's actually a great suggestion. I was just talking about doing that yesterday in fact. We were talking about either gluing or just stretching the silicone over. Have you actually done the DIY before with success? If so, did you glue or just stretch? The reason I ask is that I have melted silicone with glue before, but really don't want the tips coming off in my ears any more.

May 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,102 of 2,224
Can someone who has reshelled the W3 give me an idea what it is like? I am thinking about getting them reshelled by InEarz as it is only $95 + cable, very cheap and avoids me from buying complys. Would it be better to get W3 reshelled as it has 3 BA drivers or sell them for around $150 and spend $300 and get something like the JH5 Pro or 1964ears V3?

But please take into consideration and the best bang for buck :)

May 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #2,103 of 2,224
Can someone who has reshelled the W3 give me an idea what it is like? I am thinking about getting them reshelled by InEarz as it is only $95 + cable, very cheap and avoids me from buying complys. Would it be better to get W3 reshelled as it has 3 BA drivers or sell them for around $150 and spend $300 and get something like the JH5 Pro or 1964ears V3?

But please take into consideration and the best bang for buck :)

I have a pair of reshelled w3's and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. All that struggling with tips gone and the sounds is phenomenal.

May 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,104 of 2,224
I have a pair of reshelled w3's and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. All that struggling with tips gone and the sounds is phenomenal.

I will be making my own impressions and sending them in to InEarz for only $95 + cable.

http://www.earplugstore.com/doearcaimkit.html

is what I am using for my impressions, 5 tries. I would go to an audiologist but my schedule cannot allow that

May 15, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,105 of 2,224
Go to audiologist. They will examine your ears , use safety precautions like dams in right place and take your impression with free flowing impression material. 
Impressions are very important to get good fit.
Note there are different materials for impressions. Check documents from Jh or westone or 1964ears.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,110 of 2,224
  I have a pair of these from the Amazon sale a few months back, but I noticed they're very sensitive to almost all of my sources (hiss is present). What do you guys do to rectify this?

It's usually the amp not the source that causes hiss.

I fix it by using the volume attenuator that came with them, turning the volume on the cable down about 2-4mm in movement - enough to drop the music volume about 3-4 dB, but which lowers the output of the hiss much more than that.  Attenuating any more than that doesn't do much to reduce the hiss but does seem to make the music sound a little more veiled.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,111 of 2,224
Any recent experience remolding the w3? I am considering remolding through Inears.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,113 of 2,224
I got these in 2013 when Amazon had them on sale. $174.39. AMAZING deal! Especially considering how they're now discontinued and selling for $434.95. 

I use them with Comply TSX-100 tips. Moved to the large size recently as I found they give me the best seal. I have noticed that the cable is starting to unwind a little, where it meets the stress relief. But overall, I use my W3 constantly, sleep with them on too, and they've held up pretty well so far. 

I don't know a lot about sound signatures and all that :) but I've found them versatile in terms of sound. I listen to a variety of music, (the Eagles, to Frank Sinatra, to Dash Berlin, to Drake and Usher), and the W3 has performed well across the board to my ears. Vocals sound really good, mids and trebles come out clear. I found the bass to be sufficient, you'll have fun when the beat drops, but not an IEM for bass heads. 

No amp, using with an iPhone 5S. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,114 of 2,224
O.O Not for bassheads?!

There is only one balanced armature IEM I've heard that's truly worthy of a basshead, and its the W3.

I got these in 2013 when Amazon had them on sale. $174.39. AMAZING deal! Especially considering how they're now discontinued and selling for $434.95. 

I use them with Comply TSX-100 tips. Moved to the large size recently as I found they give me the best seal. I have noticed that the cable is starting to unwind a little, where it meets the stress relief. But overall, I use my W3 constantly, sleep with them on too, and they've held up pretty well so far. 

I don't know a lot about sound signatures and all that :) but I've found them versatile in terms of sound. I listen to a variety of music, (the Eagles, to Frank Sinatra, to Dash Berlin, to Drake and Usher), and the W3 has performed well across the board to my ears. Vocals sound really good, mids and trebles come out clear. I found the bass to be sufficient, you'll have fun when the beat drops, but not an IEM for bass heads. 

No amp, using with an iPhone 5S. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back