Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,071 of 2,224
As far a I am concerned the W40 has made the W3 and Pro30/UM3X obsolete. Its that same upper mid tier level IEM but fixes faults of both.
I have not heard the W30 but I would advise people if you can afford the extra $100 DO NOT but the Pro30. The W40 fixes it faults. Its a great product!

Thanks, I can afford the W40 so I am better off with that than the Pro30?

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,072 of 2,224
Absolutely!  W40 soundstage was brought "closer in" than W4R so it is similar to Pro30 in that regard but you are getting much better treble and transparency with W40 and the bass is increased and very close to what you get with Pro30 as well. In listening tests I am certain not 6 of of 10 or 8 out of 10.....but 10 out of 10 people would agree that W40 beats Pro30.  W40 sound is definitely "thickened" up over W4R.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2,073 of 2,224
  Absolutely!  W40 soundstage was brought "closer in" than W4R so it is similar to Pro30 in that regard but you are getting much better treble and transparency with W40 and the bass is increased and very close to what you get with Pro30 as well. In listening tests I am certain not 6 of of 10 or 8 out of 10.....but 10 out of 10 people would agree that W40 beats Pro30.  W40 sound is definitely "thickened" up over W4R.

Thanks. I am pretty much set on the W40.

Only question is where should I buy it from?

Is this the best bang for the buck?

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-w40.html?gclid=CLrOusaRkr0CFS9p7Aod2xgAZQ  You get a pair of free IEMS.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #2,076 of 2,224
Depends how long you have had them and where you got them from.  If the answer is "no", you could always reshell them into customs so all is not lost.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2,078 of 2,224
One of the nozzles on my W3 broke while removing the comply tip!! I'm so heart broken. I always twist the tips without too much pressure or force!
Does Westone cover this under warranty.

Ouch..

I've snagged the wire a few times also, hopefully nothing bad will happen..

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,079 of 2,224
One of the nozzles on my W3 broke while removing the comply tip!! I'm so heart broken. I always twist the tips without too much pressure or force!
Does Westone cover this under warranty.

I have had many great customer service experiences with Westone, and from my experiences, the W-series are a "sealed" component, thereby they are not able to repair the earpiece, whereas I found they will just offer you a replacement pair of headphones for a price.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,080 of 2,224
I purchased the w3 for my father for Xmas and just found out that he cannot get a good seal so there is no bass. I tried the supplied options as well and couldn't get a good seal either. Is there a trick to making these work?

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,081 of 2,224
I have had many great customer service experiences with Westone, and from my experiences, the W-series are a "sealed" component, thereby they are not able to repair the earpiece, whereas I found they will just offer you a replacement pair of headphones for a price.

Looks like his best bet is to have them reshelled or sending them on for a discount on their new iem's since the westone 3's are discontinued.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,082 of 2,224
I purchased the w3 for my father for Xmas and just found out that he cannot get a good seal so there is no bass. I tried the supplied options as well and couldn't get a good seal either. Is there a trick to making these work?

Hello.  I squeeze tips and let them sail inside ear conduct.  It works perfect for me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,084 of 2,224

Hello.  I squeeze tips and let them sail inside ear conduct.  It works perfect for me.

Foams!

I've never been a fan of foams with my TF10s as they seemed to veil the sound and negatively effect the bass, but maybe they are the right thing for the W3s. I'll give them a try.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,085 of 2,224
Yeah the TF10 has slightly dark mids and foams exacerbate it...but the W3 is super bright and has pretty neutral mids, personally I could ONLY ever listen to them with the long Complys
I've never been a fan of foams with my TF10s as they seemed to veil the sound and negatively effect the bass, but maybe they are the right thing for the W3s. I'll give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back