Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,906 of 2,224
  Does that mean workout with your IEM can damage it? That means I should buy earbuds to gym and IEM to use in general? 

All I can tell you, the w3s are very delicate gear, and they get damaged very easily. When I got my first pair, less than a week later the right earpiece started fading out, than died. I believe this was the result of water damage, I was heading home from swimming while listening music. Even though I applied q-tips to remove any water from my ears before I would use the monitors, apparently it wasn't enough. Likely sweat could cause the same results, unless one is working out very lite where they don't sweat profusely. Also, the cables tag very easily, I had several episodes, where the plugs gut ripped out of my ears, because the cable got stuck. Others reported cracking shells on these, due to such incidents. But, at today's prices, I don't think this will be an issue for many, three years ago the w3s set you back north of $300+!

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,908 of 2,224

I'd go 45 minutes on a stairmaster or treadmill sweating bullets 4 x a week and NEVER had an issue with W3's and sweat.  Never....

It's common sense.  Your ear canals DONT sweat so the only way sweat could enter your ear canals is if you are taking them in and out while sweating....so yes, avoid doing that by all means with any IEM's.

Earbuds would be way worse because they don't "seal" which will allow sweat to seep in to your ear canal.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,909 of 2,224
Hey , 

unfortunately , I cannot purchase the W3s. Because I'll have to pay 50 dollar shipping to receive in France.. The International  shipping cost is expensive and unlucky it is too much for me. 
But instead, should i go for Westone UM1 - Westone UM1 Team Edition Corsa or Westone Single-Driver ? Thanks.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,910 of 2,224
  Hey , 

unfortunately , I cannot purchase the W3s. Because I'll have to pay 50 dollar shipping to receive in France.. The International  shipping cost is expensive and unlucky it is too much for me. 
But instead, should i go for Westone UM1 - Westone UM1 Team Edition Corsa or Westone Single-Driver ? Thanks.

No, no, no....  I am a Westone fan but in that $100 120 range there are better options.  Can someone help this guy out?  I'm not familiar with that cost range of IEM's.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,914 of 2,224
  I'd go 45 minutes on a stairmaster or treadmill sweating bullets 4 x a week and NEVER had an issue with W3's and sweat.  Never....

It's common sense.  Your ear canals DONT sweat so the only way sweat could enter your ear canals is if you are taking them in and out while sweating....so yes, avoid doing that by all means with any IEM's.

Earbuds would be way worse because they don't "seal" which will allow sweat to seep in to your ear canal.

Usually I go for an hour on the treadmill at an average pace of 7.2 mph, and after the workout I extract more water out of my t-shirt, than from my swimming trunk after getting out the swimming pool...You may be right, one could keep the ear pieces in place during an intense workout, but for me defeats any purpose to wear portable gear while working out. During intense running the music would be a nuisance, I would only hear annoying thumping, my pace would disrupt the rhythm besides, I couldn't keep any portable player secured on me without a great deal of inconvenience. Than, getting a lot of sweat on the shells and cable, wouldn't eventually make them hard and brittle? (I'm wandering).

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,915 of 2,224
i got these from buydig recently at their special sale price. 
i can comfortably state that these are the best in ears i ever heard/owned in my life. the soundstage in these are just amazing, and instrument separation is beyond words. i now wish i never bought the other in ears and just bought these long time ago and get over with it.

ones i own(ed): monster mdt, monster gratitude, triple fi 10, x10, shure se215, bose ie2, ath ck500 (and other various models), mh1c, and various other cheaper headphones.

westone 3's produce better sound than all. they do everything better except the sub bass compared to mdts. it is just unbelievable that westones can have this detailed soundstage, can produce such an amazing sound, and be extremely comfortable at the same time.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,916 of 2,224
i can comfortably state that these are the best in ears i ever heard/owned in my life. the soundstage in these are just amazing, and instrument separation is beyond words. i now wish i never bought the other in ears and just bought these long time ago and get over with it.

ones i own(ed): monster mdt, monster gratitude, triple fi 10, x10, shure se215, bose ie2, ath ck500 (and other various models), mh1c, and various other cheaper headphones.

westone 3's produce better sound than all. they do everything better except the sub bass compared to mdts. it is just unbelievable that westones can have this detailed soundstage, can produce such an amazing sound, and be extremely comfortable at the same time.

Fantastic to hear. 

I hope I have the same impressions on Christmas day!

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,917 of 2,224
still getting used to mine but i'm extremely happy with the purchase. i can lay down comfortably with them on which is huge because i love listening to music in bed. the soundstage on them is phenomenal for an IEM. instrument separation is great and they seem to be very accurate. I'm really happy with these.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,918 of 2,224

I had the same impression when I heard mine for the first time. Enjoy!

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,919 of 2,224
I'm looking at the Westone 3 because of the sale price as a replacement for my Sennheiser Amperiors. Has anyone had the chance to compare the two? I've also owned the UM2X and the RE-600 and didn't like either (I haven't had much luck with IEMs sound-wise so far).

How is the detail? How strong is the bass? Is it fast and punchy or somewhat muddy? How detailed are they? Is the treble significantly recessed like the RE-600? Do they require a portable DAC and amp to sound good, or will they work fine with my Galaxy S3 (US)?

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,920 of 2,224
I'm looking at the Westone 3 because of the sale price as a replacement for my Sennheiser Amperiors. Has anyone had the chance to compare the two? I've also owned the UM2X and the RE-600 and didn't like either (I haven't had much luck with IEMs sound-wise so far).

How is the detail? How strong is the bass? Is it fast and punchy or somewhat muddy? How detailed are they? Is the treble significantly recessed like the RE-600? Do they require a portable DAC and amp to sound good, or will they work fine with my Galaxy S3 (US)?

Without EQ the bass is very muddy and the midbass is boosted too much. I'm surprised W3s are so well received here on Head-fi because they had a very "consumer" frequency response to me, reminding me of my Klipsch Image One on-ears. 

However, they do have lots and lots of detail and great extension, after you EQ them. The treble sounds bright, clear and is sibilance-free, and the sub-bass really stands out and shines. On iTunes I'm doing -1.5dB at 500hz, -4.5dB at 250hz, -6dB at 125hz, and -3dB at 64hz (each line on the EQ is 3dB). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back