Westone 2 vs UE Triple.FI 10 vs Shure 215/315 vs Brainwavz m2 vs Grado GR8
Aug 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Requirements:
Good for rock music, classic rock, alternative rock (beatles, nine inch nails, pearl jam, tom petty..)
Good isolation - I will be using these mostly on airplanes, but do not have to be as good as Ety. If they are 10/10, then I would want a pair 8/10
Comfortable
No Amp (using ipad and ipod)

Looking to spend no more than ~$200. My previous pair of IEMs were Ety 6i and I loved the comfort, isolation and detail they provided however I needed more bass. Feel free to suggest a different pair than the ones I listed. Right now I am leaning towards the TF10s but I am concerned about fit. I spend hours upon hours listening to my Grados, so I do prefer that kind of sound but I am also interested in trying something new

Westone 2 - From what I read, the sound signature sounds great. Do they provide enough isolation?
TF10 - My Etys fit perfectly. Does anyone have any knowledge if that will translate to the TF10s?
Shure 215/315 - Are the 315s worth the price or do I just consider the 215s?
M2 - How is the isolation?
Grado GR8 - B-Box sale puts these in my price range -- How is the isolation? Do they come with multiple tips and a case?

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 9
Bump

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Requirements:
Good for rock music, classic rock, alternative rock (beatles, nine inch nails, pearl jam, tom petty..)
Good isolation - I will be using these mostly on airplanes, but do not have to be as good as Ety. If they are 10/10, then I would want a pair 8/10
Comfortable
No Amp (using ipad and ipod)

Looking to spend no more than ~$200. My previous pair of IEMs were Ety 6i and I loved the comfort, isolation and detail they provided however I needed more bass. Feel free to suggest a different pair than the ones I listed. Right now I am leaning towards the TF10s but I am concerned about fit. I spend hours upon hours listening to my Grados, so I do prefer that kind of sound but I am also interested in trying something new

Westone 2 - From what I read, the sound signature sounds great. Do they provide enough isolation?
TF10 - My Etys fit perfectly. Does anyone have any knowledge if that will translate to the TF10s?
Shure 215/315 - Are the 315s worth the price or do I just consider the 215s?
M2 - How is the isolation?
Grado GR8 - B-Box sale puts these in my price range -- How is the isolation? Do they come with multiple tips and a case?

Hi

I have had the following :- 

Westone 2, TF10 Shure 215.

Bearing in mind that I did have fit problems with all three, but got GOOD ENOUGH seal to be able to decide which to use ( I want to make that clear from the start).  I listen mainly to progressive and hard rock.  Bass was fine on the westone 2's but felt there could be just a little more punch to it, again though it was fine for every day use.  In fact another user was struggling to justify upgrading to the top tier from these fearing that there wouldn't be enough difference to justify the cash. 

Comfort.  This straight away goes to the westone 2.  Smaller size shells compared to the tf 10 which wouldn't seal and the shure 215 which I just plain didn't like.  Isolation.  Again the Westone 2 with the comply p series tips (included) isolation was fine.  Tf10 and shure I always had fit problems with so someone else would be better advised there, go take a look in the respective appreciation threads.

Cheers.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 9
If you have small ears then the safest choice would be the westone 2s or you could find a tf10 at dirt cheap and reshell it. That way you won't have the worry about the fit and isolation :D

The shure 215 and tf10 have pretty fun and exciting sounding signatures IMO, with the 2 being more balanced

Also, I've never tried the grados, but the fact that it's a moving armature tells me that the isolation might not be so good

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
If you have small ears then the safest choice would be the westone 2s or you could find a tf10 at dirt cheap and reshell it. That way you won't have the worry about the fit and isolation
biggrin.gif

The shure 215 and tf10 have pretty fun and exciting sounding signatures IMO, with the 2 being more balanced

Also, I've never tried the grados, but the fact that it's a moving armature tells me that the isolation might not be so good

The Grados are available for $215.. my only concern is the isolation..

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Bump. I am now down to choosing between Monster Turbine Copper or Grado GR8. Based on what I have read, both have the sound signature that I am looking for and are roughly the same price.

Can anyone confirm that the Monster has better isolation? If that is the case, that sounds like the better deal since it comes with a case and more tips..

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 9
Like I said, I think the grados is most likely vented and isolation may not be as good as the non-vented BA driven IEMS. same goes with the copper. Further more the coppers have bad quality control, and are prone to spoiling fast (internal components)

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Like I said, I think the grados is most likely vented and isolation may not be as good as the non-vented BA driven IEMS. same goes with the copper. Further more the coppers have bad quality control, and are prone to spoiling fast (internal components)

I just ordered the coppers for a great price, but that sucks to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back