Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #46 of 441
I found UM3X and TFP10 similar in that they are both pretty neutral, non fatiguing, detailed but on the warm side. I don't know many other IEM's that share those traits. The main difference is the way they do soundstage.

Imackler, I listen on the louder side so, yes, Etys would get fatiguing on me. Without sounding too fannish...W2 hit the perfect sweet spot (for me) where it is somewhat bright, fast and articulate but not so much that they fatigue. They are fun and pleasent to listen to. Again, think of the HF5 with some real weight, body and soundstage to it which would naturally tone down the hyper detail effect.

The TFP10 midrange made everything sound a bit cloudy to me. W2 is quite a bit more sharp/articulate to my ears are much closer to an Ety-type sound.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #47 of 441
Yeah, I notice the Triplefi midrange is a little cloudy, too. Distressingly so at times. That is the only way the move has been questionable from IE7, that and comfort. But in every other way superior..
I've been thinking about the UM3x while secretly lusting after a comfortable ER4p: Westone 2 may be a good fit.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #50 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found UM3X and TFP10 similar in that they are both pretty neutral, non fatiguing, detailed but on the warm side. I don't know many other IEM's that share those traits. The main difference is the way they do soundstage.

Imackler, I listen on the louder side so, yes, Etys would get fatiguing on me. Without sounding too fannish...W2 hit the perfect sweet spot (for me) where it is somewhat bright, fast and articulate but not so much that they fatigue. They are fun and pleasent to listen to. Again, think of the HF5 with some real weight, body and soundstage to it which would naturally tone down the hyper detail effect.

The TFP10 midrange made everything sound a bit cloudy to me. W2 is quite a bit more sharp/articulate to my ears are much closer to an Ety-type sound.

Spyro,

Thanks for answering my earlier question.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you exactly differentiate TF10 Pro's soundstage with that of the W2's? Actually...I really am enjoying how the TF1o Pros image the sound and at the same time offer an unusually large soundstage, especially when plugged into my laptop (my iPod doesn't seem to give it that extra ooooomph). Compared to the previous IEMs I've used, TF10 Pros have this "feeling" or "sensation" that when I listen to excellently recorded live albums, the soundstage is really expansive (the music really extends beyond your ears), thus evoking a sense of being right there in the crowd or sometimes just beside the performing act.

Do you think I'll be sacrificing a lot of that excellent soundstaging when I move to the UM3x? On the other hand, what tradeoffs will I have to swallow when I go the W2 route?

Given my preferences above, you think it really makes sense for me to go for the UM3X despite a noticeable shrinkage in the soundstage compared to what the TF10 Pros offer?

Thanks a lot!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #51 of 441
W2 housing is a good 30-35% smaller than W3 housing.

jaibautista...tough call. The thing with UM3X is it's all about the instrument separation within a small defined area...a small soundstage...like sitting in the studio. It's not only left...but it's far left or lower right and upper left areas where you are hearing instruments but still very close in your head. Some people have a hard time with this closed in up front feeling that it is congested. This is how stage monitors are suppose to be though. It doesn't bother me . TFP10 still has good instrument separation but it is more about the distance of the presentation than the instrument separation. A little more like a headphone. W2 probably leans a bit more this way but I haven't had the TFP10 for about 6 months so beyond saying they are similar in size, I think W2 sounds cleaner but slightly less "full".

Outside of some people wanting perhaps even more bass out of W2 (like W3) there is really no faults with this IEM. It represents all frequecies extremely well and has a nice soundstage and nice imaging. What more do you need, right?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #52 of 441
Quote:

W2 housing is a good 30-35% smaller than W3 housing.

jaibautista...tough call. The thing with UM3X is it's all about the instrument separation within a small defined area...a small soundstage...like sitting in the studio. It's not only left...but it's far left or lower right and upper left areas where you are hearing instruments but still very close in your head. Some people have a hard time with this closed in up front feeling that it is congested. This is how stage monitors are suppose to be though. It doesn't bother me . TFP10 still has good instrument separation but it is more about the distance of the presentation than the instrument separation. A little more like a headphone. W2 probably leans a bit more this way but I haven't had the TFP10 for about 6 months so beyond saying they are similar in size, I think W2 sounds cleaner but slightly less "full".

Outside of some people wanting perhaps even more bass out of W2 (like W3) there is really no faults with this IEM. It represents all frequecies extremely well and has a nice soundstage and nice imaging. What more do you need, right?

Haha. I liked the last remark!

Actually, I and tstarn had a good time PM'ing each other about the merits (and demerits) between TF10s and UM3Xs (oops...sort of OT, but in the spirit of comparing TF10s with the W2s and the UM3Xs...haha. Nevermind.
biggrin.gif
). What tstarn basically told me was that since I have already pretty much fallen in love with the UE sound signature, getting the UM3Xs might not be the best "upgrade"/"sidegrade" path for me. While I'm starting to discern why many people have been complaining about the recessed mids in UETF10s (I've noticed, after listening to Norah Jones and John Mayer live tracks for several times already, that the vocals are somewhat "distant" relative to, say, the bass and the rhythm guitars), I think it's more or less my kind of thing. Maybe...I prefer that way, that the singer is fully enveloped and embraced by the tones and instruments.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's how the UM3Xs are designed and engineered in the first place. I saw one of powderhound23's posts in one of the Westone UM3X threads with him saying that the UM3Xs are oriented towards the professional musicians who really need a capable studio and live performance monitors. Perhaps that's what's making the sound sig more up close and personal, with the soundstage, although still present, severely constrained relative to other IEMs. Compare that to how the Westone Wx line is marketed, where personal listening is a priority over music monitoring.

Nevertheless, I really haven't had the opportunity to try the W2s and UM3Xs since they're not available here in Manila as far as retail stores are concerned. Should a planned out-of-the-country excursion push through, that may be the only time I can try them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Spyro for the generous replies. They only made me all the more curious auditioning the W2 and UM3X and ultimately comparing them with my TF10s. And I hope I can choose one of them as a backup IEM.

Cheers and kudos to you, mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #53 of 441
Quote:

CONCLUSION: I love this IEM. With a little EQ (rock setting), it has some real pop to it’s presentation. Amazing clarity, little to no fatigue. Among W3, UM3X and W2 if I had to part with one I would probably ditch the W3. I enjoy W2 that much. If I could emphasize one thing about W2 I would HIGHLY recommend it to Ety fans that don’t want to fuss with amps but want more weight to the sound. I know REO does this too and I wish I could hear it to provide a comparison but I can’t. If he was being truly objective I would love to see an Ety engineer stick these in his ears, see his jaw drop to the floor and think, “this is what our next product should sound like.” Because to me, this is EXACTLY what I would expect to hear with a dual driver Ety product.

It is also pretty remarkable that in just over a year, Westone has come out with 3 new IEM’s (4 counting W1) that are word class leader in both sound and ergonomics. They certainly know what they are doing.

for some odd reason whenever I tell myself I'm done purchasing stuff something always catches my eye..W2 recommended for ety fans sounds quite tempting
smily_headphones1.gif

Also on another note..do you want to hear the RE0? I dont think I'll be using mine much for a while

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #54 of 441
So tempting I just bought a pair from the OP. Will use the UM56 I bought for the UM3X with them, or maybe even a reshell a la Fisher at some point. They sound right up my alley. Are we nuts or what? Of course, at the same time I listed my #3 NIB pair of TF10s o ebay to finance some of the deal. Need to sell a few more IEMs to finance the rest. S4 might have to go. We'll see.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #55 of 441
haha nice
smily_headphones1.gif
the way i see it you are finding some use for your UM56 outside of an im616 which costs less than $30 and is no way to justify a custom sleeve :p

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #56 of 441
Yes, logical conclusion. But even so, the 616s sound fantastic, and they were $149 MSRP in 2005, with Ety drivers. So they are not crap, believe me. But might have to sell them too!!!

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #57 of 441
Unless you really love the W2 I doubt you'll sell the im616. As they have that bright great high. I didn't read this till now tsarn. ICANN now see my opinion on the great highs, while still having great bas. Made the W2 like a ety with the tf10 like bass. And he said something pretty similar

they really are amazing phones. And I'm sad to see them go, but I got my TF10 into customs and they sound great. And I have PK2 for other listening moments and needs. So the W2 had to go. I'm sure you'll love em

Thanks spyro. Your thoughts matching my PMs without knowing sold tsarn on my W2 for sale lol. And hey tsarn. If you sell the im616 let me know ASAP. I still need a pair for a family member

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, logical conclusion. But even so, the 616s sound fantastic, and they were $149 MSRP in 2005, with Ety drivers. So they are not crap, believe me. But might have to sell them too!!!

oh im well aware of how the im616 are not crap
smily_headphones1.gif
almost got its brother not too long ago but no reason to have multiple iems at the same price range with very similar sound. on another note..seeing as the im616 is pretty much an ety sound i would love to hear your impressions on them once you get some time on them of course

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #59 of 441
I currently use the westone um2 and was eyeing the um3x. But now the westone 2 has caught my eye and I am a bit confused.

Spyro,

I bought the westone um2 based on your suggestion, upgrading from a super.fi 5 pro and it was a great suggestion indeed. I am really enjoying the um2 and have been using it for a little more than a year now. I listen to my music quite loud too. And reading your posts, I feel that I share your same taste in terms of what sound I like.

I was turned off by the recessed mid range on the super.fi 5 pro. I like my vocals upfront which as everyone knows the um2 does well. I just wish that at times the bass did not cloud up the rest of the spectrum in some songs.

Since I remember you saying that the westone 3 is like a refined or much improved super.fi 5 pro, I decided that the westone 3 is definitely not my taste.

So my question is this. If I wanted to upgrade or sidegrade, which one should I choose? Westone 2 or UM3x. How is the midrange on the W2? I would love a little more clarity and a slightly bigger soundstage compared to the um2. What do you suggest? Does the W2 have more bass impact than um2 even if the quantity is less?

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #60 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh im well aware of how the im616 are not crap
smily_headphones1.gif
almost got its brother not too long ago but no reason to have multiple iems at the same price range with very similar sound. on another note..seeing as the im616 is pretty much an ety sound i would love to hear your impressions on them once you get some time on them of course

This is my third pair of 616s, I gave one to a friend and sold the other (I had two at the $17 fire sale a few months back). I've had time on them, and with the UM56 sleeves (an odd combo, I know) they are pretty amazing. They have a little more bass than the ER4P as I recall, it's been years.

Why take my word for it? Check out this 2005 review in PC Mag (sorry about the OT).

Altec Lansing inMotion IM616 - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back