Westone 2: Did I make a mistake?
Jan 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

passg1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

Couple months lurker and audio newbie here.

I bought a few weeks ago a Cowon J3 and wanted a good IEM to get the best of this player, so I read a lot of forum posts and opinions looking for a good build quality and mostly neutral sounding IEM and finally setled on the Westone 2 for their neutrality and vocal clarity.

I've had one week with them and listened to a variety of music from jazz to rock, but still, I didn't feel excited as I though I'd be listening to my music with this high quality IEM's.  The sound is too flat, although everything is super clear, but music lost some vitality and sometimes I have to raise the volume to get more life out of it.

Then I started playing with the J3 equalizer and found that the BBE Viva and BBE Viva2 settings really improved dramatically the experience for me.  I've read this settings improves the bass and treble giving a more U shaped sound.  But music is exciting again for me and I dont feel I've lost vocal clarity.

So I think I've just discovered that I don't like so much as I though neutral sounding IEM's.  Maybe I should have chosen something with more bass or treble? Am I missing something listening my music with EQ enabled? I've read some people are really against it.

Do you suggest any other IEM that I should try if I return these?

Thanks! 

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Couple months lurker and audio newbie here.

I bought a few weeks ago a Cowon J3 and wanted a good IEM to get the best of this player, so I read a lot of forum posts and opinions looking for a good build quality and mostly neutral sounding IEM and finally setled on the Westone 2 for their neutrality and vocal clarity.

I've had one week with them and listened to a variety of music from jazz to rock, but still, I didn't feel excited as I though I'd be listening to my music with this high quality IEM's.  The sound is too flat, although everything is super clear, but music lost some vitality and sometimes I have to raise the volume to get more life out of it.

Then I started playing with the J3 equalizer and found that the BBE Viva and BBE Viva2 settings really improved dramatically the experience for me.  I've read this settings improves the bass and treble giving a more U shaped sound.  But music is exciting again for me and I dont feel I've lost vocal clarity.

So I think I've just discovered that I don't like so much as I though neutral sounding IEM's.  Maybe I should have chosen something with more bass or treble? Am I missing something listening my music with EQ enabled? I've read some people are really against it.

Do you suggest any other IEM that I should try if I return these?

Thanks! 

Those same people are usually willing to amp their music to all hell and back to get the same sound they could by playing with the EQ.
tongue_smile.gif

That being said, I'd recommend actually playing with the EQ rather than using presets, and seeing if you can't come up with something you like.
If you're still not satisfied then you should consider returning them, and grabbing yourself something a little more colorful.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Alot of people start out thinking they want 1 type of sound then changing once they hear it or as time evolves :) but if you want something that's a good priced all arounder return the w2's and find TF10's on the sale forum or from amazon they have much stronger bass/treble than the w2 and usually are around 100-150 and are great for someone new into the world of hi-fi audio very lively and engaging. Although you'll be going from the smallest sound tube to the largest so if you have small ears beware :)

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 7
   Quote:
Those same people are usually willing to amp their music to all hell and back to get the same sound they could by playing with the EQ.
tongue_smile.gif

That being said, I'd recommend actually playing with the EQ rather than using presets, and seeing if you can't come up with something you like.
If you're still not satisfied then you should consider returning them, and grabbing yourself something a little more colorful.

Thanks Fizz.  I've found this thread that seems very useful to start playing with J3 EQ settings.  At least its encouraging that the W2 seems to respond very well to equalization. I'll give it a serious try! :)

Quote:
Alot of people start out thinking they want 1 type of sound then changing once they hear it or as time evolves :) but if you want something that's a good priced all arounder return the w2's and find TF10's on the sale forum or from amazon they have much stronger bass/treble than the w2 and usually are around 100-150 and are great for someone new into the world of hi-fi audio very lively and engaging. Although you'll be going from the smallest sound tube to the largest so if you have small ears beware :)

Yeah, actually I seriously considered the TF10's but was turned off by their size.  And still I'm also a bit afraid they have too much bass or treble for my taste.  Is there something intermediate in bass and treble quantity with good vocals and as comfortable and discrete for commuting as the W2's?  Maybe I'm asking too much? hehe

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 7

I've been playing a lot with the J3 EQ settings and listening lots of songs and let me tell you......... what a dramatic and amazing change!!

You were completely right.  It doesn't even need too much equalization, just a minor subtle changes here and there, aaaand...... OMG!

I think I can still improve further my settings, but I'm already very happy again with my W2's and the J3.

Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions and the heads up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back