Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #511 of 1,022
Does anybody happen to know how it compares to a Mapletree (MAD) Ear+ HD? I've been totally content with the Ear+ HD, just wondering how green the grass is over at the Milo camp :wink:

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #514 of 1,022
Hey fellow owners.
How well does this drives the lcd4s? ?

Is it not to warm?

Should be great. The Milo really matches up well with all planars. I know a couple of folks on here use it to drive the LCD-4.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #515 of 1,022
Hey fellow owners.
How well does this drives the lcd4s? ?

Is it not to warm?

It not only drives my LCD-4 beautifully, but I can simultaneously connect my Hifiman He-6 and it's still plenty loud without any sign of
audible distortions.

It's not too warm at all but yet has Tube sound qualities.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #516 of 1,022
Just ordered a Milo with Khozmo and Vishay. Excited and looking forward to get it.

Question, I asked for the aggressive taper Khozmo because I would sometimes use easier to drive headphones, but I'll mainly use it with Abyss Phi. The guy on the phone said it should be ok for the Phi, but not for the older version.. Maybe I should change back to the less aggressive taper? Would it be more versatile, like if I wanted to try other HP's at meets? Which is best if I only use it with the Phi?

I should get a call tomorrow to confirm the order, then 4-5 days build time. Excited!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #517 of 1,022
Just ordered a Milo with Khozmo and Vishay. Excited and looking forward to get it.

Question, I asked for the aggressive taper Khozmo because I would sometimes use easier to drive headphones, but I'll mainly use it with Abyss Phi. The guy on the phone said it should be ok for the Phi, but not for the older version.. Maybe I should change back to the less aggressive taper? Would it be more versatile, like if I wanted to try other HP's at meets? Which is best if I only use it with the Phi?

I should get a call tomorrow to confirm the order, then 4-5 days build time. Excited!

Nice! Great choice. The Khozmo attenuator has a lot more play than the stock Tocos pot. You should be fine either way with the Phi. If it were me, I'd just ask for the pot's taper to be as evenly distributed as they can possibly get it. But that's just me.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #519 of 1,022
Anyone have a chance to compare the Wells Audio Milo Headphone Amplifier with the Vioelectric V281 or Macintosh MHA 100?

I haven't spent enough time with the MHA100 to pass judgement one way or another (maybe 2 minutes at the last head-fi meet), but the guy who brought it was blown away when he plugged his HE-6 into the Milo.

As for the V281, I have listened to it on several occasions and I am not a fan. It feels to me like the dynamics of the music are unnaturally blunted on that amp and the sound is very warmed over. It's like an amp that wants to be tubey, but can't pull it off in a very natural way. I have spoken to a couple other reviewers that agree. Of course, it is all subjective. I have a couple friends on here who quite enjoy the V281. Of course, 2 out of 3 of them have now sold it and one of them now owns a Milo, which he loves... so there's that.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #520 of 1,022
I'm anxiously awaiting the repair and return of my Milo. The right channel went out on it. You never know how much you'll miss something until it's gone.

I picked up a Schiit Eitr to play around with in the meantime. Great little device.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #521 of 1,022
I have a question about DAC options. I'm looking at the Mytek Brooklyn, liking what I'm seeing, but would it work well with the Milo? It's a hot output that can easily overdrive and cause distortion if not setup properly. Anybody try this combo? If it would work, what is the best setup/interconnect option?

Thanks again for any knowledge sharing.

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #522 of 1,022
Unpacked my Abyss Phi yesterday and the Milo today. What an awesome combo, and near perfect delivery timing. I don't think I've heard Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan sound so good! Super snappy drums, full of life and spacious. This is with just my Pono line out.. Gotta decide on a good desktop Dac now.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #523 of 1,022
I have a question about DAC options. I'm looking at the Mytek Brooklyn, liking what I'm seeing, but would it work well with the Milo? It's a hot output that can easily overdrive and cause distortion if not setup properly. Anybody try this combo? If it would work, what is the best setup/interconnect option?

Thanks again for any knowledge sharing.

As far as dacs go, I'm sure the Brooklyn is great as reviews would suggest. I had the Milo and now the Headtrip. I've had the Chord Dave ( borrowed) connected to my Headtrip and after hearing it, I immediately sold my Oppo Sonica Dac. It was embarrassed by the Dave. Then I connected the Cambridge Azur 851N and wow. I loved it. I'll put it up against the Dave all day long ( at least when streaming Tidal HiFi). Extremely pleased. Open,airy with plenty of punch. It was What Hi-Fi! Product of the year in 2016. Anyway, a great pairing with Milo or Headtrip.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #525 of 1,022
I don't have the X but I do have the LCD-Xc 2016 version(along with the LCD-3f and LCD-4) It sounds outstanding with either amp. The Milo/Headtrip bring out the best of every headphone I've thrown at them.
While all headphones are at their best with them, I find Hifimans (he-500,he-6 and he-1k V1 and V2) to scale best when using them with the Milo/Headtrip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back