Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #331 of 633
Wells Audio Dragon Level 3 paired up with the new ZMF Atrium

20220318_000449 (1).jpg

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #332 of 633
Mar 29, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #333 of 633
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #334 of 633
Cross posting from the LCD5 thread due to my love for Dragon's synergy with LCD5:

IMG_3205.JPGIMG_3174.JPG

So I have the Enleum 23R at home to test with my Susvara and LCD5 and I can see why many prefer the Sus over LCD from that pairing-Sus stock tuning is much more balanced, with an effortlessness in the musical it portrays versus the more bland, revealing LCD5 (even with EQ). Sus' staging is more open, airy and engaging.

However, from the Wells Audio Dragon L2, I still prefer the LCD5 with Chrono's EQ. The Dragon smoothens the transients slightly to allow a longer decay, that "liquidy" sound that comes across as more musical across instruments and vocals. There is more upper-mid energy which helps with engagement and forwardness, which comes across as smooth thanks to the tubes. You lose a little bit of technicalities-mainly in soundstage intimacy and precision versus a pure solid state like 23R or even iDSD Pro Signature, but the tradeoff is more than welcome for my preferences. The best analogy I can think of is the Dragon injects the equivalent of a (prescribed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) percocet's warm hug into the LCDragon's signature, leading to euphoria. On the other hand, I felt Dragon L2 didn't drive the Susvara too well due to lack of dynamics and the peaks across the frequency so I won't explore that synergy much.

I do want to note that I do have the iDSD Pro Signature as my DAC and it's quite possible my incoming Holo Audio Spring 3 R2R could change the landscape for the Susvara. But so far, despite being more airy with a slightly larger staging, Susvara23R comes across as more boring, laid-back and unengaging versus the LCDragon's liquidy, addicting, punchy and euphoric synergy. I genuinely think LCD needs a tube, or else it will likely stay in that clinical route, even from a "tube-like" solid state like 23R.

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out once Spring 3 comes along + 23R burn-in :sunglasses:

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #336 of 633
Why did you decide to sell OTL amp? As I understood now you ve paired Lampizator with Dragon amp and it is you main desktop rig??
The Dragon 3 is just a loan unit, kindly sent to me by Wells Audio for review purposes. I wish I owned it!

I'm having a new custom OTL built for me by @L0rdGwyn . I reviewed his Airmid OTL design a few months back and was blown away by its transparency and staging, so I'm having one of my own built with a couple tweaks that should not impact its sonic character or performance.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #337 of 633
Sorry to be a negative Nancy, and I know it is not the purpose of this thread, but I feel obligated to put out a disclaimer whenever my amp is mentioned now that I am not taking any more orders. Trying to avoid disappointment when Head-Fiers ask as I've had a few people get a little nasty when I've politely told them no.

Okay, back to the your regularly scheduled programming.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #338 of 633
Sorry to be a negative Nancy, and I know it is not the purpose of this thread, but I feel obligated to put out a disclaimer whenever my amp is mentioned now that I am not taking any more orders. Trying to avoid disappointment when Head-Fiers ask as I've had a few people get a little nasty when I've politely told them no.

Okay, back to the your regularly scheduled programming.
"negative Nancy" (never heard that ... it's droll!)

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #340 of 633
Hi @Bonddam,
A friend of mine listened to my Wells Cipher DAC and would like to buy a used one. If I remember correctly, you used to have one for sale. Is it still available?

Thank you!
No its in a new home.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #342 of 633
My friend Ran used to own this amp and always loved it. Wonder where Ran is, is he still on the head fi forums?

Ran if you are here, show yourself!

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #344 of 633
So I have the Enleum 23R at home to test with my Susvara and LCD5 and I can see why many prefer the Sus over LCD from that pairing-Sus stock tuning is much more balanced, with an effortlessness in the musical it portrays versus the more bland, revealing LCD5 (even with EQ). Sus' staging is more open, airy and engaging.
Have you gotten the chance to try the Hypsos/Oor with Susvara? I'm debating whether to upgrade to the Ferrum stack or 23R for the Sus, LCD-5, and HD 800S

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #345 of 633
Have you gotten the chance to try the Hypsos/Oor with Susvara? I'm debating whether to upgrade to the Ferrum stack or 23R for the Sus, LCD-5, and HD 800S
Yep-keep in mind both units weren't fully burned in but the quick summary from my experiences:

-23R is better for Susvara, more power=more dynamics, stronger transients, more energy. Ferrum is good but felt a bit soft for my tastes
-23R is not a great pairing for LCD5, however-and I know several folks who hear it similarly. Feels lifeless. It is superb with Ferrum on the other hand depending on your DAC
-Never heard HD800s but I imagine the darker/warmer 23R would probably be better suited

IMO, building an optimal chain around the Susvara does not bode well for the LCD5 in some cases, such as with the 23R. But the Ferrum should pair well with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back