Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #316 of 633
Sick news, thx for sharing
In addition to the reduction in noise, I really like the feel of the Goldpoint attenuator. There is something which is quite pleasing about moving through the steps. I'm sure that there is a good analogy, but on this Sunday morning, I am at a loss for one...

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #317 of 633
The Headtrip is loving the Cipher (as am I).

20220116_140512.jpg

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #318 of 633
The Headtrip is loving the Cipher (as am I).

20220116_140512.jpg

Wow that's really nice gear! does it come with those feet? never realized the Cipher was that big.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #319 of 633
Wow that's really nice gear! does it come with those feet? never realized the Cipher was that big.
Thanks, Roasty! Yes, the feet came with. I thing it may be unique to the Level II gear, but not sure. And yes, it's massive. Barely made it on my shelf (about 1/2 inch of depth to spare).

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #320 of 633
Guys, after many years of planning, waiting and preparing, we will be closing on a house! For years during apartment living, I have built a great headphone based system. Over the last year I have started preparing for the new home and invested heavily in a 2 channel system. I have decided that I am going to leave the headphone hobby and concentrate on my 2 channel and turntable system which I am having a dedicated room built in the basement for.

I will be selling off all of my headphones and my Dragon level 2 in the next coming weeks.. I will let people know here when I have listed them. I will give priority to anyone here for the Dragon.

Thanks for the great advise and friendships.

Matt

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #321 of 633
Guys, after many years of planning, waiting and preparing, we will be closing on a house! For years during apartment living, I have built a great headphone based system. Over the last year I have started preparing for the new home and invested heavily in a 2 channel system. I have decided that I am going to leave the headphone hobby and concentrate on my 2 channel and turntable system which I am having a dedicated room built in the basement for.

I will be selling off all of my headphones and my Dragon level 2 in the next coming weeks.. I will let people know here when I have listed them. I will give priority to anyone here for the Dragon.

Thanks for the great advise and friendships.

Matt
Enjoy your speakers man, happy trails.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #323 of 633
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #324 of 633
IMG_2033.JPG

Proud new owner of the Dragon L2-and boy am I happy with the purchase. Firstly, yes...I need a new desk, I know lol.

Sonically, the Dragon saved the LCD5 for me. Although the iDSD Pro Signature drove it well and was a technical marvel, it felt too clinical (even off tube). I started exploring what powerplant I needed for Susvara to get the more magical mids. But after a quick 5 minutes, it was obvious that the Dragon smoothens out the LCD5's transients and decay ever so slightly to add a more harmonic and organic tonality. Vocals are lush, yet airy and detailed. Treble is somehow a combination of crisp but smooth, excellently complimenting the addicting synergy. I feel like bass could be better and I am hoping it increases with burn-in as I believe the previous user didn't have too many hours on it. But either way, it hits hard and has a nice warmth to it.

I'll post more pictures and thoughts as I spend more time with the various tubes and switch options-but no longer am I yearning for a Susvara (for now) as the LCD5 is a musical beast with this AMP. Now time to find a R2R DAC...and a bigger desk. :)

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #325 of 633
I saw the review comparing the Headtrip II Level II versus the Dragon Level II and perhaps this comparison is the best answer to my dilemma. I have a Quicksilver headphone amp with upgraded caps and NOS tubes driving my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2 phones, 33 ohms, 116 dB/mW, so they are a really easy load. Heck, they can easily be driven by the soundcard in my laptop and by my iPhone6. I stream Qobuz into an Auralic Vega DAC.

I know from previous experience that there can be a striking difference in sound with different speaker amp designs I have owned: Solid-state muscle amps, small SS amps, big push-pull tube amps, small p-p tube amps, SETs, OTLs. My favorite of all time are some obscure but amazing Essence solid-state muscle amps with 10 MHz bandwidth. Yes, 10 MHz. This microwave technology is not supposed to work for audio but somehow it does.

So I wanted to hear sounds on the opposite ends of the sound spectrum as I have the Quicksilver that uses all tubes for the gain and output. For those who have experience with Wells Audio amps, which would be on the opposite end? The QS amp has the usual liquid, immediate, warm sound of tubes although I wouldn't characterize it as classic tube sound, i.e. lush and overly warm with flaccid bass; just on the warm and immediate side of neutral. Does the Dragon tilt toward the fast, transparent, spacious side of things? How would it compare to a SS muscle amp like the Pass Labs HPA-1, Enleum AMP-23R, Violectric V281, or Niimbus US4+? I would imagine the answer to be just to the warm side of neutral but does it do the transparency, speed, and spaciousness of SS muscle amps?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #326 of 633
I saw the review comparing the Headtrip II Level II versus the Dragon Level II and perhaps this comparison is the best answer to my dilemma. I have a Quicksilver headphone amp with upgraded caps and NOS tubes driving my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2 phones, 33 ohms, 116 dB/mW, so they are a really easy load. Heck, they can easily be driven by the soundcard in my laptop and by my iPhone6. I stream Qobuz into an Auralic Vega DAC.

I know from previous experience that there can be a striking difference in sound with different speaker amp designs I have owned: Solid-state muscle amps, small SS amps, big push-pull tube amps, small p-p tube amps, SETs, OTLs. My favorite of all time are some obscure but amazing Essence solid-state muscle amps with 10 MHz bandwidth. Yes, 10 MHz. This microwave technology is not supposed to work for audio but somehow it does.

So I wanted to hear sounds on the opposite ends of the sound spectrum as I have the Quicksilver that uses all tubes for the gain and output. For those who have experience with Wells Audio amps, which would be on the opposite end? The QS amp has the usual liquid, immediate, warm sound of tubes although I wouldn't characterize it as classic tube sound, i.e. lush and overly warm with flaccid bass; just on the warm and immediate side of neutral. Does the Dragon tilt toward the fast, transparent, spacious side of things? How would it compare to a SS muscle amp like the Pass Labs HPA-1, Enleum AMP-23R, Violectric V281, or Niimbus US4+? I would imagine the answer to be just to the warm side of neutral but does it do the transparency, speed, and spaciousness of SS muscle amps?

Thank you in advance.
@rlawry I don't have experience with the other amps that you reference. I would describe the Dragon as quick, neutral and spacious. The hybrid design of the Dragon does capture the best of both the SS and tube worlds. That said, the Headtrip far exceeds it on dynamics. I'm not too far from you, PM me if you'd like to hear the Headtrip.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #327 of 633
IMG_2118.jpg

I am continuing to love the Dragon L2 with my LCD-5. The bass has increased in quantity with an addicting rumble, and the spaciousness while retaining musicality is just superb. After Traillii and Elysian X, it was difficult to find the next level where I can re-listen to any song for the "first time" within the portable world-but this combo has definitely unlocked what I envisioned my near-endgame to be when I first started the journey four years ago. A lot of late nights staying up re-exploring old playlists :).

And thus...its a near-endgame because theres always a curiosity to how much better can it get. How would you guys compare Dragon L2 to L3? Increased technicalities and dynamics based off of previous reports?

IMG_2023.JPGIMG_2137.jpg

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #329 of 633
We have been dragon out this dragon thread for 22 pages now. :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #330 of 633
OK, so here is another question about Wells Audio products for which I cannot seem to find; sorry for the WA newbie questions. On the WA website they list two dreadnaught SS amps, the Headtrip II (and the Headtrip II version II, which I understand is a hot-rodded Headtrip II for more than double the price) and the Enigma II. The specs and overall design for the HT II and Enigma II seem remarkably similar but pricing is almost a factor of 2. The website goes into little detail on what the difference is between the 2 but guessing it has to do with parts quality. If they are close sonically why purchase the HT II for double the price, i.e. is the Enigma a HT II "Lite?" Or is it merely "bragging rights?" Has anyone compared them? Again, thanks for putting up with my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back