Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Mar 14, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #601 of 633
Arya Organic is very nice :ksc75smile:. This amp has a smooth increase in volume across my headphones. I'm going to plug my Gruv DAC but currently using Woo Audio WDS-1.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #602 of 633
I just got my level 1 V8 and the sound character reminds of DarkVoice somewhat without the smoothing of the 6SN7 in the mids? The placements of instruments is impressively good. I guess OTL really excels in transients. And yeah, this really makes my HD650 sings. Already inquiring Jeff for the upgrade. TL;DR... this seems to be the DarkVoice upgrade that I have always wanted. And good news! unlike my darkvoice this one didn't destroy my headphone. At least for now? Hehe, this V8 OTL is just savagely good.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #604 of 633
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #606 of 633
Caldera on 12au7 I would rotate max now at 2 o'clock on the dial it's plenty loud for me. If using 12at7 it's perfect.
Jeff's real busy at a show so let's wait but I would like to know for responsibility reasons of not hurting the amp like if I said let's try 12ax7 and smoke comes out as a resistor blows or worst something more expensive.

I'd like to know if 12ay7 was a typo because I think 12at7 has more gain and if that's the case was printing of 12ay7 telling the customer that's the highest you can go.

None above is set in stone just my limited knowledge .

Tubes are all RCA and drivers you see in pic 12at7

Attachments

• 17108526982077792144958347233017.jpg
    17108526982077792144958347233017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #607 of 633
Out of V8 my favorite planar on it is the Meze Empyrean 2. Favorite dynamics ZMF Atrium Open and Austrian Audio Composer.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #608 of 633
I've tried quite a few of my headphones on the V8 and all were quite good. The standouts for me were the ZMF Bokeh and Atrium (open and closed), and the HD820 surprisingly. The 820 is an oddly tuned headphone, though I do like it. It has a few treble peaks that can be problematic on neutral sounding amps, but the V8 handled it quite well. The treble was smooth and inoffensive, though still elevated a bit more than my liking (which is the case with most amps but the warmest of the bunch). I felt no fatigue and enjoyed how tight and responsive the bass got, and how emotive the mids were, especially male vocals. A standout track that really brought goosebumps was American Pie by Don McLean. Don has a very expressive voice and his angst and pain shine through so well here with the V8/HD820. Another standout male vocal performance on this combo was W.O.L.D. by Harry Chapin. It's a song about regret and a plea for redemption that's rebuffed, capturing the fractured defeat pointedly in Harry's voice. Again the V8/HD820 combo was up to the task, stirring the listeners emotions.

This weekend I want to spend some time with my HD600 and HD650 and the V8. So far all my 300ohm headphone have paired wonderfully with the V8 so I expect no less from the venerable 6 series. I'm also going to give my LCD2C and Elegia a run on the V8. Neither are traditionally synergistic with OTL amps so we'll see how the V8 handles them. I'm also going to try some tube rolling as well when my late night ebay purchases arrive. :) I purchased a pair of RCA 6AS7 power tubes and RCA clear top 12AU7 input tubes. I've always enjoyed RCA tubes so I figured why not.

A note on break in. I'm noticing a lot here, which is not a bad thing. I found the V8 to sound excellent on first listen, and it still sounds so now. The tubes are not new production so I don't think they'd need any break in anyway. A few general thoughts so far after a few days listening. Again, this is not a slow, thick/warm sounding amp. It's fast, nimble, nuanced, and fairly neutral. It renders a nice soundstage that while not huge, is more than large enough, and very well layered and separated. I have zero regrets so far with this purchase, and find it an excellent pairing with all my high ohm headphones. I've not tested low ohm sets yet, the lowest being the 80ohm ZMF Bokeh, which was an excellent pairing.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #609 of 633
Got the RCA 6AS7 in at lunch and have been listening to them for a few hours. I really like these RCA tubes. Compared to the stock tube I'm hearing more air and sparkle up top. At first I thought that was going to be bad, as I'm treble sensitive. But not the case at all! Despite the added sparkle things stay smooth and easy to enjoy for long stints. And the RCA tubes have a bit slower and thicker mids, which I personally like. Green Grass and High Tides by The Outlaws really shows off the differences. Those Freebird like guitars have a nice crunch and twang to them on the RCA tubes that's a touch subdued on the stock set. And the bass string plucks have more reverb and weight to them. Kick drums hit a bit harder as well. Makes this track really fun and engaging. The stock tubes are still very good with this track, but the RCAs just elevate it. Thank you random ebay seller! :) I am REALLY enjoying things right now, whew! My boss left for the day and I stopped working, I just can't stop replaying Green Grass...

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #610 of 633
It is no
Caldera on 12au7 I would rotate max now at 2 o'clock on the dial it's plenty loud for me. If using 12at7 it's perfect.
Jeff's real busy at a show so let's wait but I would like to know for responsibility reasons of not hurting the amp like if I said let's try 12ax7 and smoke comes out as a resistor blows or worst something more expensive.

I'd like to know if 12ay7 was a typo because I think 12at7 has more gain and if that's the case was printing of 12ay7 telling the customer that's the highest you can go.

None above is set in stone just my limited knowledge .

Tubes are all RCA and drivers you see in pic 12at7
The V8 is not designed for 12AT7s. Use at your own peril.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #611 of 633
Got the RCA clear top 12AU7 in yesterday and have logged about 8ish hours with them. They're for me a meaningful improvement over the stock tubes, as were the RCA 6AS7 tubes I rolled. The clear tops bring a wetter, warmer tuning vs the stock tubes, and give the V8 a sweetness that was slightly lacking with the stock set. The stock tubes are not bad, but I would strongly suggest tube rolling if you get a V8, it is very responsive to it. That's my next point, how pleased I am at the responsiveness of the V8 to tube rolling. I snagged some Sylvania branded 6AS7 tubes (no clue if they're made by Sylvania or rebrands, the ebay seller was vague), and again the V8 responded to those tubes noticeably differently than the RCA or stock tubes. The Sylvania's were very bright, too bright for me, so the seller thankfully let me exchange them for another set of RCA for backup, as I love how those sound. But point is the V8 can be tuned nicely via tube rolling. I've had other tube amps that barely change flavors with tube rolls, but not so here.

With the RCA tubes all around the V8 has a nice lushness and wetness that's a stark alternative to the stock tube's more dry and neutral signature. The RCA's have pushed the V8 more towards my beloved Stratus tonally, which is a good thing for me as I love a warmer tonal balance. The V8 is an impressive sounding amp stock, but even more so with better tubes (for me).

After a few days living with the V8 it continues to impress. With all the tube rolling I'm not sure I'd be confident commenting on break in, so I'll refrain. I will give it a week with the RCAs in and see if anything changes sonically. I'll also try the stock tubes again in a week to see if I still find them as neutral as I did before. Oh! The RCA 12AU7 must have less gain than the stock TAD tubes, as I'm able to use more of the volume knob before things get loud. Better sonics and better volume control, win win! :)

I did bring my Kenzie to work today to give it a run against the V8 for fun. The V8 is bigger sounding, in a way I'm struggling to explain. Notes just sound bigger, like they're closer, but they're not. If I were to put it into visual terms, the V8 is like a 70" tv and the Kenzie a 55". I'm sitting at the same distance, so everything is just smaller on the Kenzie. That's the best way I can describe it. But when I mentally visualize the instruments I'm hearing, they are just bigger, as they sound bigger, without being closer. I have a similar response with the Stratus/Kenzie comparison, the Stratus is the bigger sounding amp. Sorry, I lack the ability to describe what I'm hearing, but I hear it clearly and it's significant. The V8 is more neutral still, but wetter sounding. Transients have a more rounded smacking quality to them vs the dryer sounding Kenzie. But detail levels are similar between them, so this is not a rounding/softening/loss of detail on the V8. The V8 is faster overall, but the bass on the Kenzie is tighter and more nuanced. The V8's bass is still tight, but just slightly more resonant and decays slower. They're both incredible listens, but I lean towards the V8's sonics a bit more. Also, the Kenzie is very sensitive to RFI noise. When I grab my cell phone (which must be about 6 feet away from the Kenzie) the Kenzie starts making static and crackling noises. If I bring it real close it also whines. But once I move it back out, the noise goes back to zero. But the V8 is pretty quiet no matter where the phone is. The stock tubes have a blacker background, but I don't mind the slightly more grey sounding background of the RCA tubes because once music starts, they're just sonically more pleasing to me. If I had to pick an amp to keep and sell, the V8 stays and Kenzie goes. Actually the Kenzie will be going once I get some free time to list it. It's redundant in my lineup now, so I can use those funds for more tubes for the amps that are staying :)

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #612 of 633
Enjoying the RCA 6as7g and some RCA 12au7 and it's awesome with ZMF Caldera.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #614 of 633
@The Piper Did you ever get a chance to check the output impedance of the V8 OTL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back