Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #586 of 633
We would replace it with a Goldpoint. Probably the best stepped volume device on the planet. We could evaluate your unit at the same time for any further upgrades. The Goldpoint replacement would run $500.00.
Awesome! My unit predates the reference edition and was closer to $2000 if I recall, but I did have a slight upgrade to it at the time.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #587 of 633
Awesome! My unit predates the reference edition and was closer to $2000 if I recall, but I did have a slight upgrade to it at the time.
The king of all upgrades for the Milo is an outboard LPS with Bybee AC purifiers and a Goldpoint attenuator. If you plan on the Goldpoint anyway it would only be an additional $1000.00,

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #588 of 633
The king of all upgrades for the Milo is an outboard LPS with Bybee AC purifiers and a Goldpoint attenuator. If you plan on the Goldpoint anyway it would only be an additional $1000.00,
Sounds like a plan. How close would it be to reference at that point?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #591 of 633
V8 is spanking good! Kills the Dragon for my ears. Got it yesterday and it’s playing my Yamaha 5000 planar amazingly. My Austrian Audio Composer best yet and kings the WA5 LE on it.

Headphones currently listen to on the V8

Diana MR
Composer
Atrium open
Empyrean 2

Amp never lost spunk at low impedance’s one being 22ohms. The Feliks Euphria dies at 32 ohms.
image.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #592 of 633
V8 is spanking good! Kills the Dragon for my ears. Got it yesterday and it’s playing my Yamaha 5000 planar amazingly. My Austrian Audio Composer best yet and kings the WA5 LE on it.

Diana MR
Composer
Atrium open
Empyrean 2

Amp never lost spunk at low impedance’s one being 22ohms. The Feliks Euphria dies at 32 ohms. image.jpg
Did you get the Level 1 or Level 2 V8? How’s it sound with the Atrium?

Do we know the output impedance of the amp yet?

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #593 of 633

Diana MR
Composer
Atrium open
Empyrean 2

Amp never lost spunk at low impedance’s one being 22ohms. The Feliks Euphria dies at 32 ohms. image.jpg
Is that a Lampizator Golden Atlantic?

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #594 of 633

Diana MR
Composer
Atrium open
Empyrean 2

Ah, I've been thinking of getting into tubes again and the V8 caught my attention, but originally I've been looking to get the Woo Audio WA5-LE. Did you get a chance to compare the V8 with your WA5-LE yet ? Any impressions would be most helpful.

I'm leaning towards the V8 as it's also a smaller amp compared to the WA5-LE, plus the tubes are relatively cheaper. TYIA :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #595 of 633

Diana MR
Composer
Atrium open
Empyrean 2

What's pricing look like on the V8? I don;t see it on their site?

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #596 of 633
Did you get the Level 1 or Level 2 V8? How’s it sound with the Atrium?

Do we know the output impedance of the amp yet?
I have not seen the official impedance figure, but i'm thinking it's on the lower side. Tonally this is a slightly more neutral tube amp, at least with the stock tubes. It's not solid state neutral, it's warmer, but not as warm as something like my Kenzie or Stratus. Tonally it reminds me a lot of my LTA MZ2, but a bit more dynamic and detailed.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #599 of 633
Cross posting from Bokeh thread:

I've spent the day listening to the Bokeh on a base Wells Audio V8 and that is one hell of a pairing! My only other OTL is a Woo WA3 which has a poor dampening factor with the Bokeh. Not so with the V8! Clean, fast, powerful, and engaging. I'm really enjoying this pairing, even more than the Tuba I normally run the Bokeh on. The V8 is more spacious and dynamic, with a touch more warmth. Very fun pairing!

I'll also add so far with about 8 hours listening time a few things are starting to come into focus. First, as I mentioned before, this isn't a traditional sounding tube amp. It's no slow and warm. It's very solid state like with tube sweetness over the top. We'll see how tube rolling changes things, I bought some RCA power tubes and some clear top input tubes.

Second, this is a very detailed amp. Some of my tube amps like the Woo WA3 blur microdetail, but not the V8. Again very solid state like in it's resolution so far. Microdetail that I've been missing on my lesser work amps really stand out on the V8. A counterpoint to that is if you are like me and kinda like that smoothing effect, this could be a con. Very subjective issue here. For me I like blurring/softening when I'm listening to my crappy metal recordings that sound like they were recorded in a steel building and sometimes cause my ears to bleed and brains to liquify. But if it's anything approaching audiophile grade recordings, then I prefer a more resolute presentation like the V8 offers.

Third, adjusting the volume on this thing is as frustrating as my Stratus and Kenzie. Small knob movements make HUGE volume level changes. I've zinged myself a few times already in my short journey with the V8. Especially when I had my volume set for my 300ohm Atrium Closed then plugged in my 80ohm Bokeh. That'll wake you up in the morning boys! Again, it's not unique to the V8 but still annoying. I've learned to live with it with my other amps and will do so here, but man I wish they all weren't so aggressive in the volume adjustments.

This OTL keeps impressing. I'm really wow'd by the Bokeh combo, they seem made for each other. PS female vocals are intoxicating on it with all my headphones. They really stand out.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #600 of 633
What's pricing look like on the V8? I don;t see it on their site?
mine was higher in the 2's but the starting is $1499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back