Wells Audio - Headtrip amp
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #76 of 194
I have also been talking to Jeff about the Cipher DAC. I recently purchased a Headtrip II Level II from him and absolutely love it. It pairs beautifully with my LampizatOr Golden Atlantic TRP 2 and 1266 TC & Susvaras. I need to demo the Cipher before pulling the trigger on purchasing it. I really can't imagine replacing anything in my current chain to make that big of a sonic improvement, but if it does, I'm a buyer.
The Lampizator are great products. I know because I have sold many of them and I have personally owned 5 of them but I think most would consider them, while beautiful sounding, decidedly romantically colored. The Ciphers are beautiful in a most realistic way. Very highly detailed but much more realistically balanced and rather than obscure the electronic artifacts with heavy colorations they have removed them rendering a sound that is the most realistic but most natural sounding on the market today. This may sound like typical marketing hype but for those that know me I think they will attest that I don’t exaggerate claims of performance for my products.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #77 of 194
The Lampizator are great products. I know because I have sold many of them and I have personally owned 5 of them but I think most would consider them, while beautiful sounding, decidedly romantically colored. The Ciphers are beautiful in a most realistic way. Very highly detailed but much more realistically balanced and rather than obscure the electronic artifacts with heavy colorations they have removed them rendering a sound that is the most realistic but most natural sounding on the market today. This may sound like typical marketing hype but for those that know me I think they will attest that I don’t exaggerate claims of performance for my products.

Jeff, I don't doubt for a second that your Cipher DAC can't holds its own with the best of the best, but I think you're unfairly characterizing all Lampi's as romantically colored. Lukasz certainly wouldn't agree with that comment. The sonic characteristics of the GA TRP are heavily based on the types of power tubes and rectifier tube being used. I could see based on certain tube choices, that one could end up with a warmer / romantic sound. My current selection of Tesla EL51s and Shuguang GZ480 rectifier render a very neutral and realistic sound.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 194
Jeff, I don't doubt for a second that your Cipher DAC can't holds its own with the best of the best, but I think you're unfairly characterizing all Lampi's as romantically colored. Lukasz certainly wouldn't agree with that comment. The sonic characteristics of the GA TRP are heavily based on the types of power tubes and rectifier tube being used. I could see based on certain tube choices, that one could end up with a warmer / romantic sound. My current selection of Tesla EL51s and Shuguang GZ480 rectifier render a very neutral and realistic sound.
In my experience you can’t imagine a new reference until you hear it.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #79 of 194
Ya’ll smokin crack my Topping D1 poops all over not once but twice.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #80 of 194
I’ve never heard a setup that scares me. The HeadTrip and Cipher DAC has me hearing things that are not happening. I have this fear of my wife. I’m always freaking out when she calls me. The other night I was listening with Solitaire P and I kept saying I’ll be right there and my daughter asked who I was talking to. No I wasn’t on the sauce. This headphone puts you in space things happen close then far in the distance. It’s pretty creepy. I was so use to sound coming from the headphone till I put on the Solitaire. Now the Wells Audio is making the magic happen. I put this headphone on a good Burson Conductor 3XR but no creepy feeling. The reverb on electronic music trips me out. Feels like I won’t come down anytime soon, but I can’t stop listening. The 1266 there’s more to the high notes no solid state sound. Now I know that TT2 doesn’t sound right. Too be fair I had to adjust for a week. I had a lot of gear now I’m down to two amps and two headphones. End game reached.

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #81 of 194
I’ve never heard a setup that scares me. The HeadTrip and Cipher DAC has me hearing things that are not happening. I have this fear of my wife. I’m always freaking out when she calls me. The other night I was listening with Solitaire P and I kept saying I’ll be right there and my daughter asked who I was talking to. No I wasn’t on the sauce. This headphone puts you in space things happen close then far in the distance. It’s pretty creepy. I was so use to sound coming from the headphone till I put on the Solitaire. Now the Wells Audio is making the magic happen. I put this headphone on a good Burson Conductor 3XR but no creepy feeling. The reverb on electronic music trips me out. Feels like I won’t come down anytime soon, but I can’t stop listening. The 1266 there’s more to the high notes no solid state sound. Now I know that TT2 doesn’t sound right. Too be fair I had to adjust for a week. I had a lot of gear now I’m down to two amps and two headphones. End game reached.
Unfortunately, I know a few guys that have a fear of their wives...

Great to hear the Cipher is impressing you. I'm knee deep in Denafrips - the Terminator Plus along with their top DDC, the Gaia. I don't want to do a sidegrade, but then again I trust Jeff's ears when he says the Cipher is special.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #82 of 194
Unfortunately, I know a few guys that have a fear of their wives...

Great to hear the Cipher is impressing you. I'm knee deep in Denafrips - the Terminator Plus along with their top DDC, the Gaia. I don't want to do a sidegrade, but then again I trust Jeff's ears when he says the Cipher is special.
I have to switch between the TT2 for the 1266 and the Cipher for the Solitaire P. The TT2 makes the 1266 sound full with a ton of bass and Cipher does something to the Solitaire with more define highs and places them in a holographic soundstage. The Cipher goes neutral. My jumping between dacs is for EDM but acoustic vocal music the Cipher sounds better then TT2 on both headphones.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #83 of 194
Good thing this cat doesn't she'd. Hate to see what happens when I'm not home.
PXL_20210214_162951592.jpg

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #84 of 194
I took him off and he went right back. The internal warmth is why. Had to get Dennis the Menace(my six year old) to scare him away.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #85 of 194
I took him off and he went right back. The internal warmth is why. Had to get Dennis the Menace(my six year old) to scare him away.
I'm so glad my cats leave my tube amp alone and rather cuddle with me for warmth

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #86 of 194
Has anyone experimented with different sources on their Headtrip (or Milo)? I've been contemplating upgrading from Qobuz->Roon->MacBook to Qobuz->Roon into an Innuos or Roon Nuc.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #87 of 194
Does Innuos Phoenix really works? Someone was looking to trade there’s for my HeadTrip. I was actually looking at the Phoenix. I guess it would be the only piece to reach completion.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #88 of 194
Does Innuos Phoenix really works? Someone was looking to trade there’s for my HeadTrip. I was actually looking at the Phoenix. I guess it would be the only piece to reach completion.
I have the Phoenix. It definitely works. I had the UpTone Audio ISO Regen before, which I loved, and the Phoenix is even better. I definitely recommend the Phoenix

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #89 of 194
I'm so glad my cats leave my tube amp alone and rather cuddle with me for warmth
I wish my Silver Bengal liked being held. He’s cool to look at. At least he was free. It’s also cool that he is a hybrid made from Asian Leopards. Which explains his muscular build and always on the hunt.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #90 of 194
I have the Phoenix. It definitely works. I had the UpTone Audio ISO Regen before, which I loved, and the Phoenix is even better. I definitely recommend the Phoenix
I’ll have to think about it more then as a future purchase. After the Dragon I’m replacing my surge/conditioner with one Jeff’s surge protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back