Wells Audio - Headtrip amp
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #61 of 194
Jeff gave me a call tonight and told me it’s ok. The thing sounds amazing. Like that has 3D sound it’s like listening to WA33 but faster. Before the HeadTrip I had Milo Reference and Jeff told me if I wanted to upgrade he give me 100% back so I did. Kinda want to sell the WA33 and put it towards Milo Reference for my other phones.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #62 of 194
Jeff gave me a call tonight and told me it’s ok. The thing sounds amazing. Like that has 3D sound it’s like listening to WA33 but faster. Before the HeadTrip I had Milo Reference and Jeff told me if I wanted to upgrade he give me 100% back so I did. Kinda want to sell the WA33 and put it towards Milo Reference for my other phones.
How is it compared to the Milo?
Is the milo warmer in sound signature?

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #63 of 194
The Milo is warmer. The Milo didn’t have the effect of 3D like the HeadTrip. It like the WA33 with really good tubes. The 1266 needs an amp that lets it perform in it’s ability to create that wide stage and feeling you are in a big room. I’d sell WA33 to get Milo Reference it has a black background with my easy to drive cans. The Milo has punchy bass it rocks the hell out my Empyrean, VC and RAD-0. Last controls the HE-6 very well.
If you have 1266 or Susvara get a Headtrip 2 if you don’t get the Milo. The Milo has enough power but isn’t a HeadTrip 2. Milo is better then my gsx-mini I use to own.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #64 of 194
Those Headtrip amps must be pretty darn good if they are better than GSX mini. My mini is tight and clean.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #65 of 194
The Cipher DAC is just amazing. Really analogue sounding. It adds even more tube sound to the HeadTrip. 1266 TC just smooth with stuff coming out of the recording with great transparency. I’m still waiting to break the amp in.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #66 of 194
The Cipher DAC is just amazing. Really analogue sounding. It adds even more tube sound to the HeadTrip. 1266 TC just smooth with stuff coming out of the recording with great transparency. I’m still waiting to break the amp in.
Bonddam - I’ve been speaking with Jeff about the Cipher. He mentioned you got it, so I told him I would await your thoughts. I know If I get the Cipher, the Level 2 will be in the cards at some point, so I don’t make the decision lightly. Keep us posted on how burnin goes. I have had multiple Wells amps, and they certainly take some time to sound their best. Enjoy!

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #67 of 194
Bonddam - I’ve been speaking with Jeff about the Cipher. He mentioned you got it, so I told him I would await your thoughts. I know If I get the Cipher, the Level 2 will be in the cards at some point, so I don’t make the decision lightly. Keep us posted on how burnin goes. I have had multiple Wells amps, and they certainly take some time to sound their best. Enjoy!
Jeff called me today to see how it’s going and mentioned you are interested in it.
The Cipher DAC came fully cooked. Jeff told me that sending out a raw DAC will give people bad perception of its true capabilities. I’m comparing it against Chord TT2, Holo Audio Spring lvl2 KTE and when it come Mytek Manhattan 2. So far it doesn’t sound like a DAC. That digital component is gone. Feel like I’m just listening to the headphone. There’s no glare or digitized gain.

Things I wished I put in would be another set of RCA outputs. My Milo Reference is arriving next week so now I’ll have unplug every time I switch headphones. Also a digital readout of sample rate would be nice.

Every other DAC I used with Tidal and Qobuz exclusive mode was effected by some eq that lowered bass frequencies and upped the midrange and lower treble which led to sibilant shouts sometimes.
Apple Music that isn’t recorded like crap sounds amazing.
Qobuz sounds the best on this DAC.
Currently listening to The Dark Knight at low to moderate level on my 1266 TC and it’s very powerful sounding.
I did have to adjust and start picking apart everything in the recording as I was use to FPGA and R2R.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #68 of 194
Those Headtrip amps must be pretty darn good if they are better than GSX mini. My mini is tight and clean.
I would hope so, as the headtrip 2 is more than 2x the cost of a gs-x mk2.
I'd be super interested in reading impressions from anybody fortunate enough to listen to both the headtrip 2 and the gs-x mk2.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #69 of 194
I would hope so, as the headtrip 2 is more than 2x the cost of a gs-x mk2.
I'd be super interested in reading impressions from anybody fortunate enough to listen to both the headtrip 2 and the gs-x mk2.
No HeadTrip is for hard to drive headphones you get hum like on mine if you use a high sensitivity can on it. Also wouldn’t recommend shoving 25 watts into an Empyrean. It’s a neutral sound with a tube sound. I got it as my main headphones are Abyss and HE-6.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #70 of 194
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #71 of 194
Jeff called me today to see how it’s going and mentioned you are interested in it.
The Cipher DAC came fully cooked. Jeff told me that sending out a raw DAC will give people bad perception of its true capabilities. I’m comparing it against Chord TT2, Holo Audio Spring lvl2 KTE and when it come Mytek Manhattan 2. So far it doesn’t sound like a DAC. That digital component is gone. Feel like I’m just listening to the headphone. There’s no glare or digitized gain.

Things I wished I put in would be another set of RCA outputs. My Milo Reference is arriving next week so now I’ll have unplug every time I switch headphones. Also a digital readout of sample rate would be nice.

Every other DAC I used with Tidal and Qobuz exclusive mode was effected by some eq that lowered bass frequencies and upped the midrange and lower treble which led to sibilant shouts sometimes.
Currently listening to The Dark Knight at low to moderate level on my 1266 TC and it’s very powerful sounding.
I did have to adjust and start picking apart everything in the recording as I was use to FPGA and R2R.
Bonddam, thanks for posting your thoughts on the Cipher DAC. Recently I had a chance to audition both the Milo and the Headtrip II with a Cipher. During the audition Jeff mentioned that you had just purchased the Cipher.

I decided on the Headtrip II. It had a lot more punch with the 1266s. My Headtrip II arrived two weeks ago and I am very much enjoying it. It is currently paired with a Hugo2, while it does sound nice, the Headtrip II / Cipher combination was amazing. I too found the Cipher to be a bit more warm and less digital with plenty of detail, especially in the mid range.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #72 of 194

You know that I can do custom upgrades upon request to anything we build.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #73 of 194
No HeadTrip is for hard to drive headphones you get hum like on mine if you use a high sensitivity can on it. Also wouldn’t recommend shoving 25 watts into an Empyrean. It’s a neutral sound with a tube sound. I got it as my main headphones are Abyss and HE-6.
Absolutely correct. @Bonddam thanks for checking in.
I was thinking the headtrip would be appropriate for my he6, he6se v2, and the k1000 I just picked up :). Plus I usually have other 'earspeakers' in my sights so you never know. Ever since I picked up my 1st k1k and he6, I've been a convert to the concept, of having a concert on my cranium!
The meze does just fine out of my mojo. In fact, I would say the mojo maximizes its potential. It also fits into empy's briefcase perfectly.
Are you saying that the headtrip and the gs-x mk2 aren't comparable? I'm just learning about that.
In fact, I've already found out that the gs-x mk2 isn't quite as powerful as it looks (lol). It's not that surprising, but it is disappointing.
Even more off putting is its reported frequency response. Honestly the only reason I was looking into the gs-x mk2 is because of how well it would fit into my system, from an unmodified connection perspective. And the colors lol, and price. With the variable gain I was hoping for more power. Once again we can't have everything.
The wells otoh, looks better and better the more I learn. From a connection perspective it would need some minor modification, it sounds like they're open to that. From a power perspective, it's pretty much the same as my ragnarok 2. Obviously I should've asked for a comparison between the rag 2 and the headtrip 2. My bad :frowning2:
So what kind of contrast, or perhaps refinement is a better word, can the headtrip 2 offer in comparison to the rag 2? I think the rag 2 is a great-sounding amp, but it's doing just fine in my bedroom running some small bookshelf speakers as well as the aforementioned headphones, once it got bounced from living room duty.
More importantly, I'm not looking to drive speakers from this one. It's to be used as the (xlr) link between my main headphone system, and 2-channel (speaker) system.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #74 of 194
I have also been talking to Jeff about the Cipher DAC. I recently purchased a Headtrip II Level II from him and absolutely love it. It pairs beautifully with my LampizatOr Golden Atlantic TRP 2 and 1266 TC & Susvaras. I need to demo the Cipher before pulling the trigger on purchasing it. I really can't imagine replacing anything in my current chain to make that big of a sonic improvement, but if it does, I'm a buyer.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #75 of 194
Absolutely correct. @Bonddam thanks for checking in.
I was thinking the headtrip would be appropriate for my he6, he6se v2, and the k1000 I just picked up :). Plus I usually have other 'earspeakers' in my sights so you never know. Ever since I picked up my 1st k1k and he6, I've been a convert to the concept, of having a concert on my cranium!
The meze does just fine out of my mojo. In fact, I would say the mojo maximizes its potential. It also fits into empy's briefcase perfectly.
Are you saying that the headtrip and the gs-x mk2 aren't comparable? I'm just learning about that.
In fact, I've already found out that the gs-x mk2 isn't quite as powerful as it looks (lol). It's not that surprising, but it is disappointing.
Even more off putting is its reported frequency response. Honestly the only reason I was looking into the gs-x mk2 is because of how well it would fit into my system, from an unmodified connection perspective. And the colors lol, and price. With the variable gain I was hoping for more power. Once again we can't have everything.
The wells otoh, looks better and better the more I learn. From a connection perspective it would need some minor modification, it sounds like they're open to that. From a power perspective, it's pretty much the same as my ragnarok 2. Obviously I should've asked for a comparison between the rag 2 and the headtrip 2. My bad :frowning2:
So what kind of contrast, or perhaps refinement is a better word, can the headtrip 2 offer in comparison to the rag 2? I think the rag 2 is a great-sounding amp, but it's doing just fine in my bedroom running some small bookshelf speakers as well as the aforementioned headphones, once it got bounced from living room duty.
More importantly, I'm not looking to drive speakers from this one. It's to be used as the (xlr) link between my main headphone system, and 2-channel (speaker) system.
Wells Audio products are hand built and essentially custom built per order. If you have special requests we can accommodate almost anything. BTW, the Headtrip are on another level performance wise from any GSX or Schitt product. That’s not boasting but it has been unanimously affirmed many times by users with experience with both products. Also, you have not heard what a headphone like the Abyss, Susvaras, He6, etc. can do until you have powered them correctly. The Headtrip do it better than anything on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back