Well shielded IC's for Scout??
Feb 1, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm using a pair of Empress phono cable on my Scout and it is fabulous. PM Grover or drop an email to Michael Wolff--maybe they can work something out or give you a trial--they're really great/accomodating guys.

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the recommendations. please include approximate prices along with contact info if possible. Those Empress cables seem quite nice, but at $400 they are quite a bit more than I'm looking to spend right now. Thanks.

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
very well shielded

PS Audio Statements are triple shielded. I don't know how they compare to grover cables regarding shielding as the grover site has no information whatsoever about their products make up. It's all secret and ultra-hush-hush.
600smile.gif

Both cables are of the smooth school with the PS a little cheaper.

From the web site
"The first shield is a unique material known as conductive PVC. A small amount of controlled conductive material (carbon) is added in an exotic blend to a simple plastic insulating material known as PVC.

This shield has the unique characteristic of distributing outside interference along the length of it and converting the energy into heat – thereby dissipating the unwanted energy.

The second shield is a double sided aluminum foil that is particularly effective in reducing higher frequency interference like cell phones and television signals.

The conductive PVC shield and the aluminum foil shield are tied together at the source end of the cable and un-terminated at the output of the cable. This classic shielding technique is quite effective in routing unwanted noise and energy to ground without passing it to the next piece of equipment.

Low absorption dielectric
Between the 65 strands of silver plated OFC copper and the 144 strands of OFC outer conductor/shield is the insulating dielectric material. To keep the hot and neutral electrical isolated, we turned to one of the best dielectric insulators in the cable business, PE foam. An exotic method of foaming Polyethylene into a material that is suitable for this purpose, the dielectric constant of the cable’s construction is near perfect."

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 11
I bought a pair of PS audio statements for use with Basis 1400/Incognito arm/Grado Sonata after I got some hum from my unshielded cable (BMC gold pinnacle). The combo sounds very good to my ears.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 11
Oh yea, forgot to mention that as the Fisher 400 I'm using for amp is typical of vintage gear, the terminations can't be too wide. Those plugs are pretty close together back there.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Kent,

Aren't you using a pretty high output grado cart with that scout? Maybe just a regular sheilded cable would work? I used Bogdan BSSRs (unshielded) sucessfully with my Scout and Grado Platinum (5mV). It wasn't until I went with a low output moving coil that sheilding became a big issue.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Yes I do have a 5.0mV Grado cartridge. Right now I'm using a pair of Monster Cables and they are O.K. I still get some buzzing if the cables are not positioned just right. I'd really like to be rid of the buzz altogether, and knock out the last bit of hum I still have as well. I've got to do a bit of research on how to better ground this table.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 11
BTW, I'll gladly send you my pair of statements to try out if ya like. Wouldn't be any trouble at all. I believe they're a meter long. Just drop me a PM.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Yes I do have a 5.0mV Grado cartridge. Right now I'm using a pair of Monster Cables and they are O.K. I still get some buzzing if the cables are not positioned just right. I'd really like to be rid of the buzz altogether, and knock out the last bit of hum I still have as well. I've got to do a bit of research on how to better ground this table.

Just a question. Are the connectors of the left and right cables very close together on the Fisher? If so, try to slip something non-conductive between them (a useless business card or two is good
biggrin.gif
) and see if that helps. Also make sure to play around with the grounding wire to see if that helps. I had a humming problem with an older Dual turntable that I solved by going to a slightly larger gauge grounding wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back