Well recorded metal?
Jul 20, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #35 of 77

Quote:
i think you meant aenima and lateralus, 10,000 days sounds freakin horrible, i almost never listen to it because of that

I don't know if you mean if 10,000 Days has bad recording or the music is bad but I don't agree on either.

If you mean the music is bad well I recommend giving it a few more listens, try to understand what the music is about/what Tool's goal with 10,000 Days... basically understand/listen to 10,000 days on a deeper level. It's a very deep complex album just like the rest if their albums... 

10,000 Days is more focused on rock/metal it seems. It's not as progressive or complex as Lateralus or as alternative/personal as AEnima.

For what it is, more of a metal album (with the Tool touch of course = progressive+alternative) it's fantastic.

I think a lot of people listen to it for the first time and become underwhelmed because they set Lateralus or AEnima as the benchmark.

Listen to Tool as more of a metal/hard rocking album. I think you'll appreciate it a little more.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 77

Quote:
I don't know if you mean if 10,000 Days has bad recording or the music is bad but I don't agree on either.

If you mean the music is bad well I recommend giving it a few more listens, try to understand what the music is about/what Tool's goal with 10,000 Days... basically understand/listen to 10,000 days on a deeper level. It's a very deep complex album just like the rest if their albums... 

10,000 Days is more focused on rock/metal it seems. It's not as progressive or complex as Lateralus or as alternative/personal as AEnima.

For what it is, more of a metal album (with the Tool touch of course = progressive+alternative) it's fantastic.

I think a lot of people listen to it for the first time and become underwhelmed because they set Lateralus or AEnima as the benchmark.

Listen to Tool as more of a metal/hard rocking album. I think you'll appreciate it a little more.

i meant the recording sounds freakin awful, i love the music.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, sduibek, because 10,000 days is far more compressed than aenima, not to mention the copious amounts of clipping present on 10,000 days

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #37 of 77
I listened to Mastodon's Blood Mountain last night, and while it's certainly a great album and well-recorded, there are a few sections where I can hear some pretty nasty distortion and clipping (for example, the guitar solo near the end of "The Wolf is Loose"). Maybe it's just my setup and I need to tweak a few things, but have any of you noticed the same?

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #38 of 77
You're not alone. That album has some brutal clipping going on...

Quote:
I listened to Mastodon's Blood Mountain last night, and while it's certainly a great album and well-recorded, there are a few sections where I can hear some pretty nasty distortion and clipping (for example, the guitar solo near the end of "The Wolf is Loose"). Maybe it's just my setup and I need to tweak a few things, but have any of you noticed the same?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 77
I agree, i've it on vinyl, which is arguably the CD mastering put into some grooves, and it sounds very compressed and full of clipping indeed;

Crack The Skye is not much better unfortunately...

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #40 of 77
Huh, I recall my copy of Blood Mountain on vinyl sounds pretty good. I'll give it a listen over the weekend and see if that's actually the case.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #41 of 77
does anyone know who mixed wintersun's debut album. i find it really well recorded.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #43 of 77
Metallica- Death Magnetic.......

O.O

What?.... Why are you guys looking at me like that?

Because it sounds like s**t, dude.

Naww...

Yeah....

----

It's so bad.....I bought it on launch and wow. The war for loudness. We've lost it.  It all comes down to the mediocrity of our music reproduction these days....

Even with amped Sennheisers, no way you can make up for that distorting piece of crap.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #44 of 77

Quote:
Metallica- Death Magnetic.......

O.O

What?.... Why are you guys looking at me like that?

Because it sounds like s**t, dude.

Naww...

Yeah....

----

It's so bad.....I bought it on launch and wow. The war for loudness. We've lost it.  It all comes down to the mediocrity of our music reproduction these days....

Even with amped Sennheisers, no way you can make up for that distorting piece of crap.

it doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #45 of 77

Quote:
it doesn't stop me enjoying it.

me either, the fact that its bad stops me from enjoying it 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back