Well recorded metal?
Jul 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

powasky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.  I'm looking to find some well recorded power/melodic death/basically whatever metal.  If anyone's on the same quest as me, I find Wintersun's self-titled album to be very well done.  

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 77
i'm on the quest as well...
and i've made the sad realization that only pre-1996 is gonna sound good.  (for the most part)
everything since then has been progressively louder and louder.  not in a good way.

sepultura - chaos a.d.
fates warning - perfect symmetry

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 77
Blackwater Park - Opeth -  Progressive death metal
Ghost Reveries - Opeth -  Progressive death metal
Epitaph - Necrophagist - Technical death metal
Traced In Air - Cynic - Progressive death metal
Planetary Duality - The Faceless - Technical death metal
Lateralus - Tool - Progressive Metal

All good albums too, musically.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 77
Unfortunately I'm not much help because I'm more of a Black Metal guy, but there is a band that could possibly fall under Blackened Death Metal band, Martriden. Martriden actually care about their music and have some very well recorded releases.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 77

Quote:
i'm on the quest as well...
and i've made the sad realization that only pre-1996 is gonna sound good.  (for the most part)
everything since then has been progressively louder and louder.  not in a good way.

sepultura - chaos a.d.
fates warning - perfect symmetry

Love Sepultura, but I think Alive is their best album.  In terms of recording quality though, I'd have to agree.

Going for loud and compressed has sadly hit metal where it counts.  If you listen to Testament's Legacy and then put on Formation, it's absolutely clear.  Same with Slayer and RIB and WPB...such a shame.  (I could really go on and on with this, too.)

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 77
I'm digging Ensiferum so far.  Working on getting/listening to some other stuff.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 77
Check out Finntroll's Nifelvind (their latest).  I think the production qualities are pretty good, especially the first 5 tracks or so, and Blodmarsch=>Solsagan may be one of the best pairings I've ever heard.

(and since everyone's talking folk metal, they are my favorite.  the black metal influences really makes it, and I'm not a big keyboard fan, so it's just a good mix for my ears!)

Edited due to my horrific after-work grammar.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 77
As soon as I get away from In Flames, I will be on the same quest.  Subscribed.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 77

Quote:
Check out Finntroll's- Nifelvind latest.  I think the production qualities are pretty good, especially the first 5 tracks or so, and Blodmarsch=>Solsagan may be one of the best pairings I've ever heard.

(and since everyone's talking folk metal, they are my favorite.  the black metal influences really makes it, and I'm not a big keyboard fan, so it's just a good mix for my ears!)

Thanks, I'll check it out.  

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 77
The Martriden album Encounter the Monolith is pretty good too.  I'm not a fan of the super clicky kick though.  

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 77
don't listen to much power metal or melodic death so here's a couple recommendations in the "basically whatever metal" category

Death Metal
Demilich - Nespithe (and with free legal FLAC download too http://www.anentity.com/demilich/download.php)
Cannibal Corpse - the first 4 albums (original versions... though i haven't heard any of the reissues)
Death - Human (original version)

Black Metal
Marduk - Opus Nocturne (the original osmose productions release not the regain reissue with the bonus tracks)
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Enthroned - Towards The Skullthrone Of Satan

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 77
I find these to have excellent production values:

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Carcass - Heartwork (original 1994 mix)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (original 1992 mix)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Death - Symbolic
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Borknagar - Empiricism
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Agalloch - The Mantle
Watain - Casus Luciferi

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 77
Lateralus and Aenima - Tool 
With Oden on Our Side - Amon Amarth
Nocturnal - The Black Dahlia Murder
The Sound of Perseverance - Death
Wrath - Lamb of God
Slaughter of the Soul - At the Gates
Fortress - protest the hero
and for some reason almost all the Tech Death i listen to sounds pretty good

Antithesis - Origin
Oracles - Fleshgod Apocalypse
Paradogma - Hour of Penance

Edit: completely forgot Opeth, the two i have, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries both sound pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back