Well My MPX3 SLAM Just Died - Replacement?
Dec 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

alexcs

New Head-Fier
Apologies if this is a common thread topic considering the history of Singlepower :p

I've had an MPX3 Slam for 4+ years running via a Stello DA100 and its been wonderful but the right channel has just died and between the cost of repair and living in Australia I'm not sure its worth getting it looked at. I use HD600's only on this setup, so with that in mind what would be a similar replacement? Im leaning towards solid state these days, just want something to plug and forget. Up to 1000USD would be the price range. Just plugged my phones into a NAD reciever for the first time in 4 years and am dismayed to say the least! After punchy, clear, full sound like everyone else i guess :p

So out of the loop with headphone amps now, would really appreciate some ideas!

Thanks for your help.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 18
You can definitely find someone in Sydney to repair your amp. Just don't send it back to Singlepower!

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 18
For solid state, look at the Meier Concerto. But if you want an amp that sounds like the mpx3 did (I used to own one), I'd recommend the Woo WA2. Can't really go wrong with either of those, IMO.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 18
Oh thanks for the replies guys. I'm just concerned the cost of repair would outweigh just getting a replacement.

Additionally Ive just noticed that with the headphone plug half in (using different headphones) I get sound out of both channels (albeit tinny), its only when its all the way in that I lose the right channel. Ive tried different interconnects as well to eliminate that as a reason, diff tubes obviously as well. Does that sound like a specific problem?

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 18
I wouldn't mess with it anymore.  It needs to be repaired, or retired.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 18
As you move your jack in, the contacts for both cups cross the feed to one side, which is what you are hearing. The back channel on the plug seems to be the channel that is out. If you are not familiar with the hazards of high voltage and you don't want to venture to a repair shop, DO NOT attempt opening it yourself. I hope others, like Skylab who had experience with the MPX Slam, can give you comparable examples.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
As you move your jack in, the contacts for both cups cross the feed to one side, which is what you are hearing. The back channel on the plug seems to be the channel that is out. If you are not familiar with the hazards of high voltage and you don't want to venture to a repair shop, DO NOT attempt opening it yourself. I hope others, like Skylab who had experience with the MPX Slam, can give you comparable examples.

Well the back channel is the left channel but the OP says he's having problems with the right channel. It could be as simple a matter as the jack is too loose...BUT I wouldn't try to fix this yourself. Even when turned off for a long time those large caps can hold lethal voltage. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 18
haha dont worry guys im not even considering opening it. i guess ill try and find a tube amp guy in sydney to take a look if he doesnt charge too much.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 18
Have your tube yech read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437344/my-singlepower-supra-experience-why-mine-almost-blew-up-like-a-hand-grenade-and-yours-might-too

Just so he checks the right things...

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 18
hmmm thanks for the heads up skylab. at this point im not sure its worth even bothering, id be more comfortable going for a new amp, ive had a good run out of it. if i could ask you a couple of questions skylab, the WA-2 looks very good, ive also always admired the zana deux. now i know the EC is almost double the price, but in your opinion does the EC offer a big improvement on the WA-2? I might stretch my max spend if its worth it, the WA22 also looks really good. meh dont tell me im getting dragged back into the head-fi world again :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
hmmm thanks for the heads up skylab. at this point im not sure its worth even bothering, id be more comfortable going for a new amp, ive had a good run out of it. if i could ask you a couple of questions skylab, the WA-2 looks very good, ive also always admired the zana deux. now i know the EC is almost double the price, but in your opinion does the EC offer a big improvement on the WA-2? I might stretch my max spend if its worth it, the WA22 also looks really good. meh dont tell me im getting dragged back into the head-fi world again :frowning2:

Unfortunately, having only heard the Zana at meets, I really don't think I am qualified to answer this question. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Hmm ok. I think at this point I'm looking at either the WA2 and keeping all of my current gear, or heading towards a balanced setup with the WA-22. The WA2 is cheaper, but once you max it out its not far off the WA-22. I dont know if i can go back to SS, your review of the Concerto was interesting but I'm so used to tubes and the combinations they offer I'm not sure I'll be happy.

Im thinking a DLIII > WA22 > HD600 (with HD800's down the track.) Would a balanced setup like that offer a noticeable difference over the DA100 > WA2 > HD600/800? Considering source is FLAC>ASIO>Juli@, would I even notice a difference? 

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #15 of 18
Not having tried any of them with the HD600, it's hard to say.  I'm not a big believer in balanced as being a big deal in and of itself, though.  All I can really say is the WA2, with the headphones I have used it with, is a really terrific amp, and unless you plan to use it with low impedance dynamic-driver headphones, is pretty hard to beat.  With the Beyer T1's, it's terrific.

It does sound best with better tubes than the stock ones, though, so budget about $200 for upgraded tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back