Well it's true, Grados really are special
Jan 7, 2007 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
And it took me trading my HF-1s to find out. I listened to the K701s carefully at the store, I thought. But now, at 4:30 in the morning, after about 4 hours of listening, I am unable to convince myself that they have the same ability to bring the guitar alive like my HF-1s did.

Something about the grados just lets the guitar reach through and slap you on the face, like the guitarist is right there....the K701s don't. It sounds so mushy in comparison. They sound bad actually. Actually bad. I think they are better at everything else than the HF-1s....classical, trance, vocals...and they are way more comfortable...and look better....AHH but Chuck Reagen's guitar sounded so raw....I should have followed the Head-fi way and gotten both.

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 11
absolutely, nothing does electric / acoustic guitar and drum tones like a wood Grado. Most of the hifi community has been brainwashed with high end 2.1 stereo, that "THIS is what the instrument sounds like". Which typically sounds nothing like the live instrument played in person.

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 11
I just realized that I'm not actually comparing apples to apples. I used my grados out of my (currently loaned) Total Bithead, and I'm listening to these K701s out of my MicroDac->Pioneer A35R reciever headphone out. That could be a difference right there.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 11
I fully agree, though I'm on the Alessandro side of the fence.

But don't dismiss the 701 yet. I tried one that was burned in for 700hrs. It shined with progressive rock, ala, Dream Theater.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Don't dump on the K-701 too much. I'm just getting into a pair of them and they are special in their own way. Right now, the K-701 is suffering from post-FOTM depression. It happens to a lot of good 'phones. It'll go away as soon as the next FOTM arrives.

But yeah, Grados do guitar exceptionally well. You should really look into another HF-1, or maybe the RS-1. The RS-1 does everything the HF-1 does, but better. And they love vacuum tubes, especially when run single ended. The euphony is something else. Not accurate, but you won't care. You'll just want to listen some more.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 11
GAH! You should have known that a life without Grados after living with Grados is a life not worth living!

Definitely give the K701s a fair chance - don't let your aching heart detract from all the goodness the AKG provides. Do, however, fill the Grado gap as soon as humanly possible.

[EDIT] You have inspired a new sig.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 11
They really are special. However, now that i have my DT880, my SR225 is gathering dust. Its simply so superior headphone overall, that the Grado magic cannot keep up alone.

That means I need to move up in Grado chain to bring it in same quality level as my Beyers! Alessandro, here i come!
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That means I need to move up in Grado chain to bring it in same quality level as my Beyers! Alessandro, here i come!
icon10.gif

That is correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back