Well it is official now no audio jack on iPhone 7
Sep 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #91 of 111
I came here for the jokes, and what did I get? Nothing. But hey, at least you are taking this seriously.

Oh yeah, who sold more phones? Because I'm sure as heck Samsung didn't. See, the thing is, Apple just manages to sell better. It doesn't really matter how good their phones are, this is APPLE we are talking about. Samsung may live up to it's "campaign promise", but Apple simply advertises their products better. Or, let's think about it this way: Beats is notorious for having _eh_ products. But why does it sell so well? Advertisement. They feature famous people in their advertisements, and make their products stand out. Obviously people want to buy this because of what they saw on TV.

So really, Apple is making more money, you are buying their products, other people are buying the products, and, quite simply, they are more succesful.

But Samsung does have better products in terms of tech.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #92 of 111
There's always the iPhone SE and hopefully the SE2, SE2s, SE3, SE3s etc, etc ad infinitum

First iPhone I've ever been interested in. Battery life at last size, specs and the innovative 3.5mm socket

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #93 of 111
Back on topic. The loss of the 3.5mm headphone jack is meaningless to me. I have been using my iPhone and iPod for over a year with a digital line out. It is the only way to pull out high resolution music stored on my iDevices.

If anyone is interested in doing away the the cumbersome Camera connection, I would suggest the following: http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable. It works flawlessly with iDevices and had no problems with iOS 10.0.1

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #94 of 111
Back on topic. The loss of the 3.5mm headphone jack is meaningless to me. I have been using my iPhone and iPod for over a year with a digital line out. It is the only way to pull out high resolution music stored on my iDevices.

If anyone is interested in doing away the the cumbersome Camera connection, I would suggest the following: http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable. It works flawlessly with iDevices and had no problems with iOS 10.0.1

Yes. I would like to apologize for taking so big space of this rather interesting thread with my kind of irrelevant posts, but I felt I needed to answer and react to that user. Sorry again...

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #95 of 111
Not really. A cheap $9 dac won't do as good of a job at converting digital audio to analog audio as a good dedicated dac will.

​What part of my statement was incorrect? Unless Lightning has an analog line-out, that adapter is doing the converting. Whether it does a good job or not is another matter.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #96 of 111
​What part of my statement was incorrect? Unless Lightning has an analog line-out, that adapter is doing the converting. Whether it does a good job or not is another matter.

The answer for the dongle matter from the iPhone 7 thread:

"Just tested the dongle on my IP6+ (iOS 10) with the 846.

1st thing I noticed, is that plugging in the dongle did not pop up any notifications that something is connected, and that plugging in the dongle does not affect using the 3.5mm. Also, switching from 3.5mm to the dongle was instantaneous. The headphone volume reset at the middle from whatever you were using before using the dongle.

There was a black background just like using the 3.5mm. Volume wise, the dongle if anything is actually a bit louder, perhaps 10-15%. I used Tidal lossless and tested some songs from The Flashbulb - Winter Map. I noticed that the bass is stronger, perhaps almost a bit boomier. The bass fades in quicker and louder and less subtle. And that the beginning part of the song with a lot of crackles, the crackles were more louder and more apparent. Another track Bridgeport Run ran with same speed as before, and the sound was crisp and nothing was lost in the listen. I felt like the smaller and more subtle elements of the songs were brought out more. Perhaps there was more of a slight emphasis on bass and treble than before. However, differences were definitely subtle... subtle enough that I often don't know which one I'm listening to without looking at my phone and that I would definitely not be able to pick out which is which on a blind test. I tested some vocals songs, Adele, Amy Winehouse did not yield any obvious differences either. Further testing did not reveal any obvious differences in soundstage, treble/bass extension, background noise, speed, if anything I enjoy listening to this dongle as much as I did my 3.5mm.

Whatever this dongle is, I don't think it's worse than the IP6+ 3.5mm. Perhaps there's also less electrostatic noise using the dongle since I didn't get any of the usual noise during the entire testing period, possibly confirming that the DAC is inside the dongle. Also, I don't feel the need to use an external DAC like my Mojo to compensate for the sound quality. The dongle adds VERY little to the headphone bulk (I would just plug the dongle in with my 846 at all times) and has good enough SQ for me.

I also tried plugging and unplugging the dongle to see how fast it can start playing music again, and the effect was absolutely instantaneous. I mean if it were a DAC inside shouldn't it take just a bit to connect to the phone? It starts up as fast as I were to unplug and plug into the 3.5mm."

User: Solarium
Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794101/iphone-7-will-revolutionize-portable-audio-for-the-first-time-in-a-decade/495

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #97 of 111
Factually and technically, Apple are not leading and not inventing. As I posted before, even the NFC pairing is a six year old spec invented by the Bluetooth and NFC bodies. They're behind everyone.

It's your right to think whatever you like of course but this is just rubbish. They have a CPU double the speed of anyone else. The best camera. The best design. Make by far the most money from their products. I could go on.

Also, it's one thing quoting a 6 year old spec but Apple are the only people out there to create their own hardware (W1 chip) and actually get the product onto the market. If that's not leading I don't know what is.

Hopefully this is the just the beginning and we'll see high end Bluetooth audio more and more as it gains momentum.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #98 of 111
The answer for the dongle matter from the iPhone 7 thread:

"Just tested the dongle on my IP6+ (iOS 10) with the 846.

1st thing I noticed, is that plugging in the dongle did not pop up any notifications that something is connected, and that plugging in the dongle does not affect using the 3.5mm. Also, switching from 3.5mm to the dongle was instantaneous. The headphone volume reset at the middle from whatever you were using before using the dongle.

There was a black background just like using the 3.5mm. Volume wise, the dongle if anything is actually a bit louder, perhaps 10-15%. I used Tidal lossless and tested some songs from The Flashbulb - Winter Map. I noticed that the bass is stronger, perhaps almost a bit boomier. The bass fades in quicker and louder and less subtle. And that the beginning part of the song with a lot of crackles, the crackles were more louder and more apparent. Another track Bridgeport Run ran with same speed as before, and the sound was crisp and nothing was lost in the listen. I felt like the smaller and more subtle elements of the songs were brought out more. Perhaps there was more of a slight emphasis on bass and treble than before. However, differences were definitely subtle... subtle enough that I often don't know which one I'm listening to without looking at my phone and that I would definitely not be able to pick out which is which on a blind test. I tested some vocals songs, Adele, Amy Winehouse did not yield any obvious differences either. Further testing did not reveal any obvious differences in soundstage, treble/bass extension, background noise, speed, if anything I enjoy listening to this dongle as much as I did my 3.5mm.

Whatever this dongle is, I don't think it's worse than the IP6+ 3.5mm. Perhaps there's also less electrostatic noise using the dongle since I didn't get any of the usual noise during the entire testing period, possibly confirming that the DAC is inside the dongle. Also, I don't feel the need to use an external DAC like my Mojo to compensate for the sound quality. The dongle adds VERY little to the headphone bulk (I would just plug the dongle in with my 846 at all times) and has good enough SQ for me.

I also tried plugging and unplugging the dongle to see how fast it can start playing music again, and the effect was absolutely instantaneous. I mean if it were a DAC inside shouldn't it take just a bit to connect to the phone? It starts up as fast as I were to unplug and plug into the 3.5mm."

User: Solarium
Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794101/iphone-7-will-revolutionize-portable-audio-for-the-first-time-in-a-decade/495

​That's not my point: people are saying it's better because digital audio > analog audio. Which is obviously not the case. The dongle may or may not sound better (don't really care TBH) but the point is that you need an adapter​. It isn't bulky, thankfully, but it's still an unnecessary complication.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #99 of 111
​That's not my point: people are saying it's better because digital audio > analog audio. Which is obviously not the case. The dongle may or may not sound better (don't really care TBH) but the point is that you need an adapter​. It isn't bulky, thankfully, but it's still an unnecessary complication.

I guess if it outputs even little better audio, plays louder and cleaner, as well as addressing some known hiss issue produced mainly by the internal components of 6s, it's not that "unnecessary"...

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #100 of 111

Apple will make money by locking people in to their system and denying them choice. 

The iWatch and Apple TV were failures.

This is a hype train designed to lock people in to putting money in to Apple's pockets. Pure and simple.

Line 1: This same supposed logic applies to any product introduced by any company, including Google forcing apps out of the Play store because they compete with Google services.

Line 2: Define 'failure' - also, define sources. I'd love to have a credible source for the statement both of these products are failures.

Line 3: ...would you define the iPad as a hype train? The laser printer? Computer typography and desktop publishing? All market segments blown open by Apple when the pundits laughed up their sleeves. But for the sake of academia, I'm curious as to what company you would define as not building a hype train and trying to make money.

Not trolling; just pointing out the rather one-sided nature of your opinions that are being passed off as fact.

Quote:
Well, everyone pretty much knows that Apple made a mistake, the sales will most likely prove it, so the new question is:
Will Apple be too bullheaded to admit they made a mistake, or will the next iPhone include the 3.5mm jack?

...you're assuming Apple made a mistake. The entire industry - including people heading other multibillion dollar companies who had decades of experience - thought Apple made a mistake without a physical keyboard. Ditto with the iPad.

Assumptions, unfortunately, aren't the factual basis for argument, or sales, or market growth, or whatnot.

:)

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #101 of 111
...you're assuming Apple made a mistake. The entire industry - including people heading other multibillion dollar companies who had decades of experience - thought Apple made a mistake without a physical keyboard. Ditto with the iPad.

Assumptions, unfortunately, aren't the factual basis for argument, or sales, or market growth, or whatnot.

:)

I would say that removing the 3.5mm port was genius, but I don't really see the benefit of the Lightning port over it. To me the tried and true 3:5mm will stand the test of time until we go completely wireless, but I don't think wireless technology is ready quite yet. Of course, ditching the 3.5mm may be just the push needed to get the ball rolling, but the main problem with wireless headphones/IEMs is that they are much more expensive and battery technology requires frequent charging right now. I know several people who might even just stop listening to music if everything went wireless as to avoid the price of wireless headphones.
But the future has me excited. The new solo 3 has a supposed battery life of 40hours! That is most definitely a step in the right direction.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #103 of 111
LOL wow this thread has gotten way off topic.
Everyone just go buy a Samsung note 7. I hear they are really hot right now :) :)
No seriously if you have one they are being recalled they will blow up.

I believe the Note 7 is perfectly safe to use underwater due to its waterproofing and the cooling properties of said water although the user's headphones are not guaranteed to function properly

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #105 of 111
I guess if it outputs even little better audio, plays louder and cleaner, as well as addressing some known hiss issue produced mainly by the internal components of 6s, it's not that "unnecessary"...

​You say as if it's utterly impossible for such a thing to be achieved inside the phone. It is ​unnecessary: it's just that 7 users have to put up with now whether they like it or not. The 6s (or was it 6?) had atrocious issues with sensitive IEM's where you can hear the electronic buzz and noise: I don't see the 5s or earlier phones having such issues. It's possible to fix, but they clearly don't care enough about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back