Well it is official now no audio jack on iPhone 7
Sep 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 111
I just don't get this move. Are wireless headphones really that big of a marketshare for the general public that Apple thinks audio jacks are obsolete?

I'd think that the average college campus would still prove that there's a demand for convention.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 111
I just don't get this move. Are wireless headphones really that big of a marketshare for the general public that Apple thinks audio jacks are obsolete?

I'd think that the average college campus would still prove that there's a demand for convention.

Based on some of the images I've seen of the wireless headphones, my guess is money...

It's always about money.

Betting the new wireless headphones aren't cheap, don't last long, and will be lost easily... Still, there will be a LOT of folks who will buy new, Apple branded headphones when they lose/break the originals. More money for Apple...

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 111

And now there will be an increased demand for wireless headphones. Guess who owns Beats, one of the most popular headphone brands? There's your answer on why they'd do this. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 111
You could tell by seeing how much time they spent talking about their Air Buds and Beats that this is more of an attempt at a headphone money grab than anything else.  "Courage" indeed.

I do have some questions.  Have to admit I'm not overly technical so these may be dumb questions.  I own the Bose QC15 and the NAD Viso HP50. I really like the iPhone and don't want to jump ship but also have no interest in getting anywhere near that dongle.  So with that said, both of the sets I listed function using detachable cables. Will it be possible to actually hook them up in some way directly to the lightning port through use of a new cable?  I figure Bose would have to release one specifically for the QC15 due to how the cable connects but what about the NAD cans?

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 111
You could tell by seeing how much time they spent talking about their Air Buds and Beats that this is more of an attempt at a headphone money grab than anything else.  "Courage" indeed.

I do have some questions.  Have to admit I'm not overly technical so these may be dumb questions.  I own the Bose QC15 and the NAD Viso HP50. I really like the iPhone and don't want to jump ship but also have no interest in getting anywhere near that dongle.  So with that said, both of the sets I listed function using detachable cables. Will it be possible to actually hook them up in some way directly to the lightning port through use of a new cable?  I figure Bose would have to release one specifically for the QC15 due to how the cable connects but what about the NAD cans?

That will likely depend entirely on Apple releasing the specs to those companies, or allowing third parties to construct lightning cables.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 111
RIP apple. I listen to my phone with the charger plugged in more than I use the phone for anything else. This is such bull. Apparently there is no was to charge and listen at the same time without their crappy airbuds. So RIP my $2k 64 audio A12's too... 

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 111
It's a money grab for sure.

Each headphone manufacturer will need to pay a licence fee to use Apples proprietary connector or else require users to make use of a dongle (high cost replacements are available if you lose it). And surely a standard headphone socket is something that people value over 'freeing up space for other parts' as Tim Cook put it?

It stinks - nobody asked for this and we can use Bluetooth at the moment if we want to.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 111
RIP apple. I listen to my phone with the charger plugged in more than I use the phone for anything else. This is such bull. Apparently there is no was to charge and listen at the same time without their crappy airbuds. So RIP my $2k 64 audio A12's too... 

Have you thought of buying a DAP? Using such high-end IEMs on an iPhone wouldn't get you the most potential out of them.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 111
I'm about to buy a DAP. Smartphones didn't really ever have usable audio output anyway.

This isn't really true across the board any more. More phones now are coming out with high quality DACs and more powerful amps

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 111
It stinks - nobody asked for this and we can use Bluetooth at the moment if we want to.

Ironically, I'm typing this on an Apple MacBook Air... bought refurbished, previous model, lowest spec I could get... and Apple's OS lasted a week before I blew it away and installed Linux Mint instead.

They are good at the shiny, shiny.... but the function of their products has always been impractical. I had to use an iPhone for work (my current phone is a Wileyfox Cyannogen, and prior to that a Jolla running Sailfish... because I hate Google as much as Apple)... and the screen was so white that it blitzed my eyes whenever I tried to do serious work on it when away from the office.

I couldn't even bluetooth a file from the iPhone to another non-Apple device, and the bluetooth file transfer programs in the App store were all over the place, one star, two star, complaints galore... so how the heck the iPhone 7 is going to work with bluetooth headphones just makes me want to shiver. There's going to be more proprietary crap in there for sure, that will mean manufacturers have to hand over licensing money, which the customer will have to pay for.

Practically... I can get more, and functionally better, for less, elsewhere. Apple is just not relevant to my life. Expensive, inflexible, bling that is backed by a company which is really starting to upset its customers (retina screen failures was firstly listed as user damage, before they faced class action)... and isn't innovating any more. For years now, they've been the ones playing catch up, and lately they've not only been losing market share, but their figures have been declining.

This just seems to me, to be a way of wringing more cash out of the faithful, because I can't see them wining over new customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back