Well balanced, detailed, versatile IEM
Feb 14, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #61 of 83
The IE7 is just a little out of your price range (depending where you buy it), and while its sound stage is not up to the IE8, i find it a very competent, comfortable iem. It's musical with bearable treble. Musical with nice mids. Its a very good iem, and after getting a tip that you're comfortable with (for me, it was Sony or the Senn double-flange), I loved them. And very little microphonics.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

to see if the sound stage aspect is something you even care enough about to worry about over other aspects.

My reason for delaying the venture into IEMs has been in large part due to the "in your head" sound of them relative to cans like the Senn-600/650s, whose sound staging ability is exceptional to my ears. Very hard to replicate under $500 with IEMs. Even with the ones I've heard costing that much, the SndStage wasn't near as good. Sound was impressive but I doubt I'd ever trade it for the sound of the 600/650s (unless of course the vast majority of my listening was by necessity portable.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #63 of 83
I'm surprised no one has suggested Phonak PFE - its under $150 a well respected. Adjustable filters allow for a bassier, or brighter sound sig. I think most people would consider them reasonably balanced.

Haven't heard the RE0's though.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #66 of 83
The budget isn't really important. In the end, you want a device that reproduces sound the way you want to hear it. That unfortunately is a very personal thing. I and everyone else here can make suggestions all day long, but in the end, it's your ears and your own ideal you're trying to shoot for.

Part of the decision making process is knowing exactly what you want. I've tried a dozen of the best liked earphones suggested here, and pretty much all of them are good, some great. However, being great only goes so far. They still need to be great in your way.

If you're a person who isn't content with "decent," then you will be doing something very much like I did and am still doing. You're going to buy a few to try out, then sell what isn't the best of the group. Then you're going to buy a few more and compare, sell what doesn't come out on top for your goals. You will repeat this over and over until you find something you can really be happy with. Even then you will most likely still try some here and there to see if the new great thing can stack up with what you already have.

From a personal perspective, my two favorite earphones I've used are Yuin's OK1 bud and Westone's UM3X IEM. I still own the Yuin bud despite buying the TF10, IE8, SE530, ER4S, RE0, PFE, etc... I have yet to find another earphone that matches its realism. It is the only earphone I've used that could actually fool me into thinking the sound I was hearing was happening in real life(talking, noises, etc.) No other earphone I've used could do that, not one. The UM3X I see as one of the better offerings out there in terms of performance. I don't think it's realistic sounding, but it's one of the more detailed, dynamic, and revealing earphones available. There aren't any earphones out there that can match its dynamic range and presentation energy. It will show you things you've never heard with any other earphone. It's stage presence is king too in terms of pinpoint location and distancing, better then any other earphone I've used. However, it is very in your face putting you right in front of the singer's face. From what I've used Etymotic and Westone have been the only two companies that do stage presence to an incredible level. This isn't size but location, distancing, and sense of space.

So what about on a budget? Well, I would sort of just tell you to buy the ER4S. Grab a used pair from somewhere. It's a reference product everyone should at least try once. Despite being a 15+ year old single BA earphone, it's still the measuring stick for about everything else out there. Will you fall in love with it right away? Probably not. It's more of a product that isn't really the norm. However it grows on you quickly. Then you start comparing it to other earphones and start to pick up on the details that make it stand out among its peers: the accuracy, the balance. It just comes across more "correct." Own it for a month. Listen to a lot of music. Then start comparing it to everything else you've got. It will continue to impress you more and more. Whenever you want to let go of it, just sell it. If you bought it used, it won't drop in value and you will at least have tried one of the great reference products of the industry.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

I'm surprised no one has suggested Phonak PFE - its under $150 a well respected.

I was just reading up on it and it seems to have some great qualities. I just wish these IEMs were easier to audition (as I'm sure most do). Turns out someone is coming over Sunday with a couple of pair so I'll at least be able to gain better perspective as to how they integrate with my Arrow/Headstage Line-Dac (Wolfson chip)

Quote:

^^That post (mvw2) should be the end of this thread (well at least the first 3 paragraphs)

x2
(unless you can afford to bypass everything and just buy some JH13s. If people are returning their Senn 800s in favor of keeping them that's 'nuff said for me...but they are wayyy out of my range so.....

a BIG X2!

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what about on a budget? Well, I would sort of just tell you to buy the ER4S. Grab a used pair from somewhere. It's a reference product everyone should at least try once. Despite being a 15+ year old single BA earphone, it's still the measuring stick for about everything else out there. Will you fall in love with it right away? Probably not. It's more of a product that isn't really the norm. However it grows on you quickly. Then you start comparing it to other earphones and start to pick up on the details that make it stand out among its peers: the accuracy, the balance. It just comes across more "correct." Own it for a month. Listen to a lot of music. Then start comparing it to everything else you've got. It will continue to impress you more and more. Whenever you want to let go of it, just sell it. If you bought it used, it won't drop in value and you will at least have tried one of the great reference products of the industry.

A worthy recommendation. I'd have to add that you should not buy the ER4S but rather the ER4P and an adapter cable; identical functionally, but you won't need an amp without the adapter and most people buy/sell the 4P so it should hold value a bit better.

Still, the RE0 is quite close to the clarity of the ER4P without the extra money, and it doesn't go as deep into your ear so it's more comfortable.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #71 of 83
I like to suggest making ample use of the For Sale section. You can largely buy and sell earphones with little to no loss typically. Find some good deals and try a few earphones out. Then simply sell back to the community what didn't fit your fancy. You might have $100, $200, $500 tied in liquid assets, but you're never really losing money. This gives you the opportunity to actually try out a lot of the earphones you do want to try and listen to. This is mostly what I've done over the last couple years, and it's given me the opportunity to try out most of the greatest products available. Sometimes I do buy new if the price new is similarly priced or if it's rare to see used ones for sale.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #72 of 83
I don't think that I've heard a balanced earphone to date. However, of the ones that I have, I would recommend the TF10, particularly if you can pick it up for $150 USD. It meets most of the criteria that you have listed, although I would describe its highs as being of the "sparkly" variety but they are not harsh. It has plenty of detail, instrument separation and a spacious soundstage. I would describe the mids as recessed but not absent. However, you will not be able to sleep with them in, unless you lie on your back. Fit can be problematic with them, especially if you have petite ears. These phones seem to suit people with larger ones.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by true blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I upped my budget to $200?

The Klipsch Image X10s get down to $200 sometimes. I haven't heard them, but would like to and have read very good reviews.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

Heck, you might just want to give them a try anyways to see if the sound stage aspect is something you even care enough about to worry about over other aspects.

Oh, no, I really do care about the soundstage, I would say it's my #1 concern, actually.

Anyway, thanks everyone (especially mvw2) for the help. I think I'm going to get the CK10, it looks like it meets all of my requirements well. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet just in case someone has a final recommendation, or something bad to say about the CK10s.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #75 of 83
Haha so you want to hear something bad about CK10? Thats easy. I havent heard them but many people seem to say they can appear as lacking bass punch compared to many other (although non-basshead) phones, but it could be a fit issue. Just read the E-Q7 thread about that, and theother CK10 thread. Are you now confused enough again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back