Well balanced, detailed, versatile IEM
Feb 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

true blue

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been searching, trying to find the answer to my question, trying to avoid making yet another topic about this, but I can't.

I listen to a lot of different music, such as adult contemporary, classical/orchestral pieces, techno, rock, blues, pop, R&B, etc. Needless to say, I cover just about the whole spectrum
bigsmile_face.gif

Basically, I need IEMs that are well balanced, detailed, and versatile.

Good separation and soundstage is a MUST. I want to be able to sense where things are very precisely. Soundstage should be a good size, like sitting in the 4th row at a concert.

I don't like bright sound/excessive treble sparkle (though that doesn't mean I like rolled off treble, I just want good treble extension).

Comfortable, decent isolation, and light microphonics.

My budget is $200. What IEM's can do what I need BEST (meeting as many of my requirements as possible)?

Note: I live in the U.S. so prices may vary.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 83
RE0 ($79 + shipping) should do what you want, so long as you don't need huge bass. Isolation is decent to good depending on tips, and it's a very balanced phone that you can listen to almost anything on. Shipping is international, and isn't that expensive.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 83
For balance, definitely go with RE0.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 83
I'd definitely go with the RE0. It offers exceptional balance, detail and clarity for the money ($79 + shipping).

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 83
For the price, the RE0s can not be beat.

I sold off my ER-4P w/ R-S cable about 3 days after the RE0s arrived. They seemed just as clear with better bass.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 83
Reading your title, I was going to recommend the RE0... but it looks like everyone and their mom already beat me to it.
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 83
Balance? Never heard RE0 but quite a few people (probably coming from bass heavy phones) have accused them to be tilted towards emphasis on the higher end of the spectrum and lacking bass quantity and puch unamped, which is the reason some people dislike them. RE252 are supposed to represent real balance with similar qualities of the RE0 but also better bass and lower mids.
I can personally vouch for the 40$ cyclone pr1pro which are the most balanced earphones i have ever heard (but i havent heard a lot). They simply cannot possibly accused of being bass light or bass forward, mids forward or recessed (i think), and the same for treble. Cant think of a possibly more balanced sound. And unanimously an amazing bang for your buck. And allegedly a much bigger/airier soundstage vs the RE0 (great for bigger orchestras)

Quote:

IEM's that are well balanced, detailed, and versatile. Good soundstaging and separation is a must, too. Also, comfort and isolation should be good.

They definitely check all of your boxes.
Joker please come at the rescue im dangerously at a minority here

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 83
RE0s, Need I say more
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing better for the price IMO.
"True Blue" Does that make you an Aussie ?
Welcome to the forum mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 83
Joker? Tom? Orange1? Ethanate? Anyone? Please?

EDIT
Wait, if you can throw a few dollars more, please check out the threads about the panasonic HJE900 which are supposed to be all that albeit also on the warm side which you might prefer.
You asked for several options and i think there definitely should be more (and possibly better for you) answers than the default "RE0"

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 83
As Daouda had mentioned prior, the RE0 are lacking in bass quantity and emphasize treble with great extension. Soundstage is about average but separation is top notch, under $100 what your describing fits the Cyclone PR1-pro to a T.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 83
Whoa, overwhelming support for the RE0...as I feared
bigsmile_face.gif

I agree daouda, I've read that the RE0 is fantastic, but I think I would prefer something with a little more bass and a little less treble sparkle.

The Cyclone PR1 sounds interesting, but I can't find it anywhere here in the US?

What if I bumped my budget up to $150?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

slightly recessed highs compared to the lows/mids

What about those new sherwood se777? Have you checked Clieos review of them?
Pretty much look exactly like what you want
Or the regular monster turbine?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about those new sherwood se777? Have you checked Clieos review of them?
Pretty much look exactly like what you want
Or the regular monster turbine?

Edit: clarified better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back