Well balanced, detailed, versatile IEM
Feb 12, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 83
which means recessed highs (even slightly) compared to lows and mids... its fine, i like that too. It dosent necesarrily means "dark" either, but you seem to dislike brightness and excessive treble "sparkle". What you do not want is excessively (too early) rolled off treble. Earphones can have good treble extension while still having them slightly recessed but at the same time retaining a balanced, non-dark but maybe sparkle-less signature.
I think both phones i mentionned above look like they could fit your tastes.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which means recessed highs (even slightly) compared to lows and mids... its fine, i like that too. It dosent necesarrily means "dark" either, but you seem to dislike brightness and excessive treble "sparkle". What you do not want is excessively (too early) rolled off treble. Earphones can have good treble extension while still having them slightly recessed but still retaining a balanced, non-dark but maybe sparkle-less signature.
I think both phones i mentionned above look like they could fit your tastes.

Yes! You couldn't have worded it better for me
icon10.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #19 of 83
Find a used pair of Triple Fi 10 here. Recessed mid is a problem but I think I prefer the TF10's sound over $399 Westone 3, good luck with the comfort though.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 83
well TF10 is a good phone but not exactly balanced(however I have heard its more balanced than other high end universals but thats based on reading) and good luck trying to sleep with them on

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 83
Can't find the SE777s anywhere. Turbine sort of seems like what I'm looking for, but I heard the ATH-CKS70 completely outclasses them.

I don't think the TF10s will be too comfortable for me.

Anyone have an opinion about the PL50s?

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #22 of 83
Still awake. You can find the se777 at Uncle Wilson's Superstore - Where you can find your sound . Its the USA based branch of jaben, they have excellent customer service based on what ive heard here.
And let me quote clieos

Quote:

In a way, SE-777 shares some common characteristic with s-JAYS and PL-50: the same kind of warmness in the sound, but SE-777 simply brings it to the next level of performance.

The overall sound signature is very warm and fairly musical, with a full sounding mid and bass. Treble is clean, very well extended but smooth, capable of showing a good degree of fine detail yet it is not the highlight of the sound. Mid is warm and full, slightly forward with a sweet vocal. Bass is also warm and bigger than average body, but slightly slower than expected (more dynamic-like) and do not have a very strong impact, not quite a bass monster and roll off at near 20Hz yet a very good performance (both quality and quantity wise) as far as BA based IEM is concerned. Soundstage is average due to the slightly forward mid, but there is still a good sense of airiness in it.

Looks like you still havent checked that review. Clios rates it much higher SQ wise (4/5) than the PL50 (3.4/5). Goodnight!

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 83
Sorry, didn't want to seem like I wasn't listening to your advice. I always check to see if something is available before reading up on it. Anyway, read ClieOS' review, very positive.

So far, I have these and the PR1 in mind. More suggestions, please! Remember, my budget is $150.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #24 of 83
For that price you could get both, which actually could very well not be a bad idea at all since they would compliment each other very well. And dont worry, i wasnt upset at all, and you are right to extend your research as much as you can, although you wont easily find out if something is available if you dont read up on it before... I took the store from the review. Damn, i really need to go to bed!

Oh, and the CKS70 have been accused by most of severely rolled off treble, and by many of sub-par mids, and based on descriptions they are much less balanced and more bass heavy than the turbine.

Also consider the panasonics HJE900, 109usd at amazon.com, although they seem to have sharp treble you can foam mod them

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...2/#post6174223

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well TF10 is a good phone but not exactly balanced(however I have heard its more balanced than other high end universals but thats based on reading) and good luck trying to sleep with them on

No kidding. Sleeping with 10 pro.
wink.gif

Agree with you. 10 pro is not balanced, unless you crank up the volume, the mid is not anywhere to be found.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding. Sleeping with 10 pro.
wink.gif

Agree with you. 10 pro is not balanced, unless you crank up the volume, the mid is not anywhere to be found.

I'd also argue that for $150, that's about as good of a sound as you'll find in IEM under $400. TF10 is much better sounding than RE0(and I am a fan of RE0 far more than TF10) IMO

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #28 of 83
Good sound stage and separation...
-RE0: nope
-PFE: nope
-TF10: yep
-ER4: big yep
-Denon C751: yep (you should look at this as a budget choice, low $100 range, very good sound, sort of a poor man's IE8.

The hard part will be buying an earphone that actually produces a good sound stage. Most headphones out there are pretty mediocre when it comes to this.

Frankly for the going rate of the TF10, I'd buy the TF10. It's a better product then anything else you will be looking at in the price range, anything.

On the cheap, I would pick the Denon C751. It has a very life-like sound, excellent sound stage presentation, and offers a well extended response. Price hovers just over $100 typically and is a great deal. The only major downside for them as an IEM is that they don't isolate at all, go figure. They also benefit from a slight tip change as the frequency response balances out well for the slightly midbass and low treble peaky sound using the stock, tiny single flange tips. They're just much better balanced when not inserted so deeply.

For the $100 price range, I'd lean you towards the Denon. For the $200 price range, I'd lean you towards the Triple.Fi. For somewhere around there, the ER4S or P would be very nice options, although, I don't know if the ER4 is really the sound you're shooting for. It is the defacto reference IEM, and I would suggest to anyone getting into head-fi to at least try a pair for a while. For a 15 year old single BA driver earphone, it is still one of the leaders in terms of sound quality, balance, and stage presence. If you're worried about bass, you might opt for the Westone UM2, I think around $200, but it uses the same driver as the ER4P for the highs but with an added bass driver to up the low end. It's apparently pretty darn good. I've used the UM3X but not the UM2. The UM3X is one of my favorite earphones but it's a bit outside of your price point. You might be able to find a UM2 cheap enough though if you hit up the for sale section.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #29 of 83
^^ I am sorry but are you implying that the ER4 has great soundstage ? I heard soundstage of the ER4P is very thin ?

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #30 of 83
I've read that triple-fi 10's feel as sticks in your ears, they point out of your ears like some weird earnings.
I know a few members who have both RE0 and triple fi 10's , they swear by the RE0's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back