Welcome thread and idea?
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

780RACER

New Head-Fier
Hey guys Im 780 Racer. I wanted to introduce myself as i have been skimming threw the forum for about a month now on and off as my DR GA-200 sony headphones have stopped working properly and decided to get a set of JVC HA900.

I am a big gamer and always am up for trying new things, I think i am one of only a few people who ever bought the Sony DR GA-500 cans and Amp from them made for FPS's. I play CS:GO and source back in the day in CAL-I. I was very upset when the headphones wire began fraying inside the cord but caused my mic and headphones to mess up causing distortion and the likes....

Anyways, back to the main topic here....

I bought a new RX-HA900 and am going to do something crazy.... Use the AMP from my sony's with it as i spent good money on it till something else comes along. The amp is very interesting for me as it has a FPS mode, and a compresson mode, which with the sony cans made the mids and highs much louder and pulled back the bass (the little they have... Crisp but little). I wonder how this will work with the 900's as I have read they are a bit low end heavy. Between that and modding them im sure they will be much better... I will miss the crazy design of the Sony's and the open ear... BUT i feel the 900's will work much better for my liking, and should preform better after i use this old amp with it. Any thoughts or ideas or welcomes are... well.... welcome i guess...

Thanks,

Ryan

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to Headfi, how did the Sony's sound for you on overall quality? I am skeptical of anything marketed towards "gaming" as I had bad experiences with about all "gaming" headphones/headsets I bought in the past.

If you do a lot of gaming in terms of FPS games you can look into the Dolby Headphones virtual suround sound I heard it helps a little in hearing the positions of your enemies.

I know I have that option in my Asus Xonar DG soundcard that has a built in amp as well. It's a cheap card as well, right now it's going for about $24 on amazon and than has a $10 rebate on top of that. So it's something that's cheap enough to buy and play around with if you want. Unfortunately I can't tell you how good that works as I have never played with it for that, the most I have used that sound setting for so far is for watching some war movies as that does wonders for it. So it's something to look into if it sparks your curiosity.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Well the sony's Had a really good sound to them. I liked how crisp the highs and mids were, the bass was not "loud" but was clean if that makes sense *newer to audio devices not in a car* but helped a lot with enemy positions. I can say the sony box has dolby pro logic IIx and virtual phones technology stamped on the front top side of it? It works well and i like putting it in FPS and compresson mode as it DOES pull back the bass and mids and helps more with the highs so you can hear footsteps better while a granade goes off or a firefight and in games like Counter Strike that is of the up most importance, so i hope to be able to use those mods and benifit from them as much with the new set of headphones.

I did read alot on the 900's and i am extremely excited to get a set of them.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Well the sony's Had a really good sound to them. I liked how crisp the highs and mids were, the bass was not "loud" but was clean if that makes sense *newer to audio devices not in a car* but helped a lot with enemy positions. I can say the sony box has dolby pro logic IIx and virtual phones technology stamped on the front top side of it? It works well and i like putting it in FPS and compresson mode as it DOES pull back the bass and mids and helps more with the highs so you can hear footsteps better while a granade goes off or a firefight and in games like Counter Strike that is of the up most importance, so i hope to be able to use those mods and benifit from them as much with the new set of headphones.

I did read alot on the 900's and i am extremely excited to get a set of them.

how are footsteps the "high"?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

how are footsteps the "high"?

Of course every game is different but most of the actual footstep is all treble, so negating the BOOMing lows of gunshots and granades, it helps you actually hear the noise that normally would be washed out, aka footsteps mainly.

IDK maybe im wording it wrong, please bear with me, I'm trying i swear... lol

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Of course every game is different but most of the actual footstep is all treble, so negating the BOOMing lows of gunshots and granades, it helps you actually hear the noise that normally would be washed out, aka footsteps mainly.

IDK maybe im wording it wrong, please bear with me, I'm trying i swear... lol

you can very well be right, i just had a hard time imaging the footstep being treble, thats all lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back