Welcome Monster "Turbine Challenge" Reviewers!
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #31 of 76
Just to add, I also prefer the cable over the ear.  I intially used them with the cord just hanging down, but I found that small movements in the cable would communicate up to the headset that way.  Just by isolating the pull with the ear, that noise vanished.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #32 of 76
This will go into my review as well, but I thought I'll mention it in here first.

MTPC19.jpg

When using the ear hook, instead of letting to the strain relief going straight down (thick red line), it should have been on a slight angle as showed in the picture.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 76
Does that ear hook thing only come with the Coppers?

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #34 of 76
To be clear on my post, I didn't use the ear hook and instead just used the cable itself. I don't find a need for the hooks.

May 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #35 of 76
Hey ClieOS, thanks for the comment - do you happen to have a few additional photos you could post?  A little more explanation would be great as well.  Thanks!

Quote:
This will go into my review as well, but I thought I'll mention it in here first.

MTPC19.jpg

When using the ear hook, instead of letting to the strain relief going straight down (thick red line), it should have been on a slight angle as showed in the picture.

May 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #36 of 76
MER.jpg

[A] and is how earbuds and IEM are normally wore. We call it straight down but there is some angle to it, not actual 180 degree downward like [C] (which is actually a little awkward because strain relief and cable are pushing against the ear). [D] is how the IEM is currently supposed to be when the strain relief is fully attached to the ear hook, creating a 180 degree straight down just like [C]. If you can just extend the clipping position of the strain relief for a little more, you can make it into [E], which is more comfortable and natural, like [A] and . It might be too late for the current production model, but you can make the change in future ear hook design.

May 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #38 of 76
I've been doing something like an inverted E without the hook.  Basically the cable up like the hook is shown and then over the ear and down.  That seems to work for me.  Any reason why that might not be the best sound?

May 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #39 of 76
If you are wearing them over-the-ear, it is best to have an ear guide (i.e. Phonak silicone ear guide) as it will shield most of the skin oil from the cable and prolong the cable life.

May 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #40 of 76
That's quite the impressive description, indeed, ClieOS!  I'll make sure to pass along the insight...

How is everyone else doing with the review process? Feel free to post any feedback so far or questions, of course!  I know at least one of you have not received your shipment yet due to customs restrictions, and if that's the case, shoot me a PM and we can make sure to work things out as the package is on its way!

May 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #41 of 76
I'm still working on mine, I want to take a couple more pictures and be sure that I fulfilled the requirements of the review per the Monster Challenge guidelines. I will post before the end of the weekend. Thanks again for the opportunity!

May 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #42 of 76
^ Me too 
biggrin.gif
.   Went on a week-long vacation last week and got to spend a lot of time with the Coppers.  People on the beach thought I was crazy on my lounge chair switching between 3 iems draped over my sunburned shoulders.  Will spend a lot of time on a plane again on Friday so will get a chance to write up my review then.

May 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #43 of 76
Okay, didn't want to wait until the last minute...decided to plow ahead last night so:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553669/monster-challenge-review-turbine-pro-coppers-mobile-warning#post_7465882

We also need to post on Amazon and Facebook, correct?

I might need to tailor my review a bit...and if I don't want to use my personal Facebook account?  Should I set up a CEE TEE FB Account?

How do I post on Amazon and Facebook?

Thanks again for the opportunity!

May 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #44 of 76
Hey guys!  Awesome news on the reviews, and no worries, so long as we have them live by the end of next week, that works! (Except for Kostalex, who gets an extension since the package was just delivered.)  CEE TEE, your review looks really well done and we'll take a closer look at it today!

Posting your reviews publicly in the forum is definitely good, but we'll also be creating two separate public threads (one for Gold and one for Copper) so that each reviewer can post their review as a comment to the thread. This will keep them all together and allow everyone to head straight to that thread if they'd like to take a look at all the reviews for each model without sifting through to each individual review thread.  I'll post the links to those here soon.

As for posting online outside of Head-Fi, the two main venues we'd love for your words to be shared are on MonsterCable.com and Amazon.com (the product pages).  Below are links to each product page so that you can easily access.  Note, in order to post on Amazon.com, you will need an Amazon account and have made a purchase in the past.

[size=medium] MonsterCable.com[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Turbine Pro Goldhttp://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5466&loadT=11&WPR=1[/size]
[size=medium] Turbine Pro Copperhttp://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5734&loadT=11&WPR=1[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Amazon.com, sign in here: http://www.amazon.com/review/create-review[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Then:[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Turbine Pro Goldhttp://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-PRO-High-Performance-Speakers/dp/B002EL4RIE[/size]
[size=medium] Turbine Pro Copperhttp://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Professional-Headphones-ControlTalk/dp/B002NTMHU2[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

May 15, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #45 of 76
Ok, here's my review!  It has an introduction with obvious information for this forum, but is intended for the Amazon and Monster sites.  I'll keep it here for a few days in case I want to edit anything, and will re-post it when it is final.  Here goes..

As a fan of audio gear and owner of several high-end headphones, I was selected to be one of the reviewers of the Monster Turbine Pro Copper iems.  The design goal of these headphones is high accuracy/fidelity, which might not appeal to bassheads, fans of euphonic music, etc. but it is fine with me.  In my opinion any added emphasis of some frequency range not mixed in by the audio engineer is not intended to be in the music, and so takes away from the aesthetic experience as intended by the artist and audio professionals.

I own several quality iems, including the original Turbines, Klipsch Custom 3 and Shure SE530 which I used as reference for evaluating the sound of the Coppers.  The Coppers have noticeably more refined bass and much greater detail than the original Turbines, which cost about half as much.  So I compared them to the Klipsch and Shure iems, two well-loved and well-reviewed iems with dual and triple armatures that cost considerably more than the Turbine Coppers.  

With regards to their comfort and fit, they come packaged with an impressive number of silicon and foam eartips, which make it easy to find a matching size for your ear canal.  I usually use silicon tips because they are very easy to insert, but I found that the small foam tips could also be inserted without compressing them first, which makes them just as easy to insert as silicon tips.  They tips seem to distribute pressure over a larger area, giving them a light touch that was very comfortable.  The foam tips also block noise almost completely, which offered good isolation on a long airplane trip.  

To evaluate their performance, I used both an iPod (Touch 3g & Nano 1g) and a uDac dac/amp.  My full-sized headphone amplifiers have written warnings against using iems, so I used low-power sources intended for portable headphones & iems.  I used a variety of tracks that test the technical abilities of headphones and their ability to convey the pure bliss of music.  These included rock albums by Death from Above, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Wolfmother, Broken Social Scene, a jazz album by Dexter Gordon, classical music by Mozart, and electronic music by Goldfrapp and Boards of Canada. 

The standout feature of the Coppers is their extension both in bass and treble.  Their bass has much more presence and impact than the Custom 3 & SE530, but is also well defined and controlled.  This makes drums more noticeable in rock and electronic tracks, and while sometimes intense, they were usually better proportioned than the other iems that were slightly lacking in deep bass.  For example, in tracks by Death From Above, the double kick drum is more audible and crisp, while it sounds a little more than a low rumble with the other iems.

The treble is also noticeably more extended on the Coppers.  Compared to the other iems, there is considerable clarity and detail in the upper registers of music.  For example, there are drum brushes in Dexter Gordon's Ballads that I barely noiced on the SE530 that became vivid and clear on the Coppers.  However, I found that the additional treble could get a bit intense on certain tracks.  In the same track by Death From Above where the bass drum had improved, there are relentless cymbals that were at times sharp. But on balance, I felt that the treble and bass were better on the Coppers than the Custom 3 & SE530, which sounded relatively narrow and limited in their extension.

The extension of the Coppers gave them a more open and expansive sound, and on tracks with heavy instrumentation, individual instruments and voices could be heard more distinctly.  In an album by Broken Social Scene with over a dozen musicians, the SE530 obscured some details that I could hear clearly on the Turbines.   And far from making the Coppers sound 'clinical', these details made many songs more blissful.  For example, in Wolfmother's White Unicorn, as drums, bass, electric guitar and vocals build and layer over each other, each detail is presented with sense of clarity and crisp intensity that gave me chills on the Coppers.  In comparison, the same song sounded relatively constrained and congested on the Custom 3.

One area where the SE530 pulled ahead was in the presentation of middle frequencies.  In Yeah Yeah Yeah's Pin, the early guitar solo is much more forward on the Shures, and seems a bit distant and airy on the Coppers.  Here I preferred the sound of the Shures, but in other cases, the two were different but equally good.  With classical music, there is a similar trade-off, where the Coppers emphasize the sound of the symphony and the space of the concert hall in Mozart's Requiem, but the Shures seem to favor the voices in choir and strings.  In electronic music, the Turbines similarly emphasize bass, keyboards and cymbals while the Shures emphasise the voices.

On balance, I think the Coppers do a better job with the bass and treble, beat out the Custom 3 across the board and they are edged out by the SE530 in the mids.  After several weeks of close listening, the limitations of my beloved Shures became more obvious and I grew to appreciate the strengths of the Turbine Coppers.  While the Coppers do not beat them in every area, overall they are on par with what I consider to be one of the very best universal iems and they have very impressive sound quality for an iem that costs a little more than half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back