WEE - new product from Woo Audio
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 211
Here is the pre-production unit. We are very pleased with the improvements compared to the prototype. This unit is not fully furnished as the connection diagram (top panel) and labels (back) are missing.

Dual Stax outputs

Specially made switch knob just for the WEE - ON position enables headphone output while disabling speaker output, OFF position switch off the headphone output but enables speaker output.

Amplfiier input and speaker output - AMP is speaker amp inputs. SP outputs to speakers. Voltage tap (AC110 or AC220/240) selector is built-in.

Internal contruction and wiring. The 3 enclosures are taken from the WA6-SE's output transformer housing, acting as an isolator.

Best,
Jack

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #17 of 211
Loving the style of that switch knob.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 211
That looks great Jack.  I'm looking forward to hearing the older WEE prototype that you sent for our Colorado meet next week.  How similar will it sound to the pre-production one above?

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 211
It has 2 output transformers and 1 power transformer. The current version yields wider frequency response range, from 15hz to 26khz, -3dB; thus, it produces better extension on both ends, a wider and deeper sound stage. Compared to the prototype, the sound signature is almost identical.

The unit has to be larger considering its performance and usability. First, the output transformers, the core components, are over-sized. Second, it uses gold plated speaker binding posts for both inputs and outputs. Third, it has a AC inlet and a voltage tap selector. In other device, the power cord and speaker input wires are permanently attached to the unit, making difficult to use different cables.

Dimension: 12" w, 9" d, 3.5" h. Weight: 12.7 pounds.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 211
Wow that looks much better than the proto... 

Great Job...!!

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 211

Quote:
Thanks for the great post mikeymad!  I have the same amp as you and am looking forward to the possibility of also getting a transformer for my WA5 amp.  I used to have a 717 and KGSS for my Stax but hated the hassle of having a completely different amp just to listen to a pair of Stax headphones. This would fit the bill nicely and be a nice update for the old stax transformers out there.  Btw, I wonder how you think the WEE compares to the SRD transformer that you also own?  Is there much of a difference or are they both pretty much the same.  I am hopeful that these might be better than the SRD in terms of using better quality transformers that power the O2 better than the SRD.

Sorry to say, I didn't get around to trying the WEE against the SRD7 that I have.. I stopped my direct comparisons once I started to get the crackle in the right driver. I cannot comment if it would be an upgrade, but the production unit sure 'looks' like it would... I can say that I did like the time with the WEE more than previous listening listening sessions with the SRD.. if that is worth anything.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #28 of 211
That does seem like it would mean something considering that a lot people had very positive experiences listening to your WA5+SRD7 combo!

Quote:
Sorry to say, I didn't get around to trying the WEE against the SRD7 that I have.. I stopped my direct comparisons once I started to get the crackle in the right driver. I cannot comment if it would be an upgrade, but the production unit sure 'looks' like it would... I can say that I did like the time with the WEE more than previous listening listening sessions with the SRD.. if that is worth anything.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 211

I'm very interested in the WEE. A few questions:

Can you add a 4-pin XLR output to the frontpanel and an extra setting to the switch so it can be used to switch between speakers, stax and a K1000 (or similar)? I would be very interested in something like this. 

Also will be there any upgrades for the WEE? Better transformers?

Quote:
It has 2 output transformers and 1 power transformer. The current version yields wider frequency response range, from 15hz to 26khz, -3dB; thus, it produces better extension on both ends, a wider and deeper sound stage. Compared to the prototype, the sound signature is almost identical.

The unit has to be larger considering its performance and usability. First, the output transformers, the core components, are over-sized. Second, it uses gold plated speaker binding posts for both inputs and outputs. Third, it has a AC inlet and a voltage tap selector. In other device, the power cord and speaker input wires are permanently attached to the unit, making difficult to use different cables.

Dimension: 12" w, 9" d, 3.5" h. Weight: 12.7 pounds.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 211
I believe the production unit has been finalized, so a wholesale change is unlikely. Not to mention the WEE is for driving Electrostatic (Primarily Stax that are still in production) headphones. Still Woo makes every effort to accommodate custom configurations for their clients. So send WA a email and see what they say to a one off custom build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back