Wednesday Night at Hirsch's
Feb 2, 2006 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
First and foremost Hirsch, I'd like to thank you for being so open and hospitable. My dad and I had a wonderful time. I came in lusting for the PS-1s...and I came out lusting for the PS-1s as well. For one thing I don't think there was possibly any doubt in my mind that PS-1s are made for bowls, with flats the bass just feels bloated. Since we were only there about an hour, I concentrated on two test tracks: APC:the Hollow and Tool:pu**** Live.
For the Hollow the PS-1s took the cake and I tried everything... RS-1, K701,R10,010,HE90(the only real competitor)
orphsmile.gif
and L3000. On both the melos and the original supra (worked with the SDS-XLR but not all Hirsch's cans are balanced) the PS-1s blew the competition away.
For Pu**** this is where it really got interesting. I started by A/B ing with the RS-1 and I have to say on the PS-1 the drum (tabla? timpani? dunno) just extended deeper had more texture.
basshead.gif
I tried this track with the 010's as well but was non plussed with them. I dont fault the headphones, but Hirsch's head is considerably larger than mine. Towards the end, Hirsch took us into another room and introduced me the K1000s. My dad...thought they were a joke. We initially tried a test track with the Fisher amp and the source (which brand currently alludes me, the Stax amp and Melos were hooked up to a Wadia, while the SinglePower offerings were fed by a Meridian). Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the test track (Hirsch if you read this help me out here) but it was fantastic. The track was mostly spoken word with a deep bass line and then at the end of every verse there was a unique sound that reminded me of the Dolby Surround Sound they play at the movies before the feature presentation. Anyways this sound came from outside my head and I was amazed...so I pushed in Salival. Listening to Pu**** through the K1000 was one of the most moving experiences I've ever had. MJK's voice sang through and the first two things that came to mind were clean and airy. The K1000s made the PS-1s sound congested, no more like a butcher. I have to say that I was not dissappointed by the Bass response of the K1000, the base was not super impactful but it was pleasant, deep, and extended. The K1000s were recabled with equinox btw.
k1000smile.gif

/end rant
I apologize for the lack of organization and incoherency of my post...I am still flabergasted by the experience and it was my first real introduction to the high end. Again Hirsch, I am thankful for your generosity and willingness to share your priceless equipment with a kid like me.

Akathriel

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 29
Nice impressions.
With so many hi-end headphones, Hirsch's place is like a treasure vault. I was drooling as I read your post...
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 29
Hi Akathriel,

The test track was "Sabrina" from Einsturzende Neubauten's "Silence is Sexy".

You can actually increase the K-1000 bass by angling the drivers closer to your ears, but the image gets smaller as you do that. Source was Creek CD53, and the amp was AudioValve RKV II (interconnect was a prototype of the Virtual Dynamics Master Series).

One thing that struck me as I got into this hobby was that there is simply no place to listen to and compare headphones. Meets are one place to do this, but are often noisy, and can be difficult to navigate if you want to hear something in high demand (and sometimes people just can't get to them). So, part of the reason I actually keep this large a collection is to share it with others.

I hope that you enjoyed the visit, and of course you (and other Head-Fi members in the area) are welcome to come by and listen anytime. Just drop me an email to set up a time.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 29
My house is also not a place you can listen to headphones in peace lol - otherwise I would have gotten a K1000 long ago.
k1000smile.gif
Congrats on all those great first impressions! And the PS-1 does bring the bass, doesn't it? With the Melos, it must have been a beast - I don't blame you for using the bowls!

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 29
K1000s are great man! I didn't think the bass was that great either until I got the Firstwatt F1, I believe it to have more impact than the L3000's.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
K1000s are great man! I didn't think the bass was that great either until I got the Firstwatt F1, I believe it to have more impact than the L3000's.

basshead.gif

I heard very good things about the F1. Is there any comparo between F1 and the RKV? or even the V20?

I'm not holding my breath for an answer to this question, but it worth to ask just in case.

Cheers.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz

Please do tell us more about the F1. For example, do you drive it with a tube pre? Do you drive it fully balanced? Does it smooth the highs?

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
basshead.gif

I heard very good things about the F1. Is there any comparo between F1 and the RKV? or even the V20?

I'm not holding my breath for an answer to this question, but it worth to ask just in case.

Cheers.

Sorry I haven't heard any of those amps.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Please do tell us more about the F1. For example, do you drive it with a tube pre? Do you drive it fully balanced? Does it smooth the highs?

Used to have the Audiopax model 5 as pre, however sold it so now i use a cheap dvd player with volume control, works but I've had better. Balanced is something I haven't done yet
evil_smiley.gif
As far as the highs, the sound is very neutral, at least to me, so it's all recording dependent, but when I did have my pre and jolida as source sibilance was never a problem. I guess garbage in garbage out applies here.

Cheers.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 29
Yes the K1000 rig was truly magical. I expected to be wowed by the PS-1s (and I was) but the K1000 was a real sleeper. Hirsch said he had an AudioValve and sold it but bought another one when he realized how magical it was with the K1000.

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 29
Uggh I feel horrible...I just payed for Larry's Deal 4 at headphile... Cocobola PF-1s with balanced black gold and single ended adapter. I think I am in to deep. Never before has team high school seen such extravagance...

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Uggh I feel horrible...I just payed for Larry's Deal 4 at headphile... Cocobola PF-1s with balanced black gold and single ended adapter. I think I am in to deep. Never before has team high school seen such extravagance...

Congrats and enjoy the cans! Hopefully, you'll post some pics once you get them. I wonder if those PS-1 drivers are my old ones?

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 29
Lol I have a strong suspicion they are Haj. after all, when I contacted you about the PS3000s it was only a little while after you turned them into HP3000s that the deal was released. Several times I meant to ask Larry and I keep forgetting
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Lol I have a strong suspicion they are Haj. after all, when I contacted you about the PS3000s it was only a little while after you turned them into HP3000s that the deal was released. Several times I meant to ask Larry and I keep forgetting
rolleyes.gif

WOW. That can has the potential to be Larry's Creme de la Creme of modded Grados, congrats on the deal!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back