Website showing how to bulid a 5Vdc PSU
May 23, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 9
I don't know of a specific website, but run searches about building a DC power supply. There are more considerations than just voltage. How many amp's do you need to draw? How are you going to rectify AC into DC? Do you need regulated power? How much filtering do you want? There are other considerations, too. Since you already know the voltage requirement, look into how many amps you need. Then read up on the other design considerations.

May 23, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 9
I will be drawing a max of 2A. Yah..i will be needing linear regulated power. Think of using a full wave rectify. For filtering part, I really have no idea. Was hoping someone can help me with that.

May 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Filtering is just done with capacitors.
The ripple voltage is inversely proportional to the filter capacitance. So big is good. 2000 uF is probably a good number. Those will be electrolytic. Then you want a least one film cap with low esr to filter out the high frequency portion of the ripple. 2 uF film would be good. Just to go the extra mile you can add a 0.02 uF film or ceramic as well. That should give very good filtering.

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Although the Sueezebox is rated for a 2A supply, it will never actually draw that much. A 1.5A supply will do just fine, meaning a simple LM317 regulator will fit the bill. Check it's datasheet for 99% of what you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back