Wearing headphones with glasses.
Jun 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

copperdusk

Head-Fier
So today I picked up a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7's for a small road trip in a couple days. I'll probably do a review when I get back from said trip. Anyway, I wear glasses all the time, except when I'm swimming (inside joke laugh if you will.). The headphones, being circumaural, apply some preasure to my head, thus pressing my glasses against my skull. I wouldn't call it painful, but it would definetly get annoying during a seven hour ride each way. I was curious if there were any tricks I could use to eleviate this preasure?

I did have an interesting idea. Somehow making custom cushions, with a deep groove in them, so they could rest over the ear pices of my glasses without causing discomfort. I doubt I could ever make these, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 19
That does sound like a good idea. You should try and patent it, seriously. I've never heard of such a thing before. I'm sure some in the audiophile community would appreciate it.

Don't wear glasses myself (although I'm constantly told I should be - my eyesight is horrendous), but I looked up some ideas.

If the design of your glasses allows, you could loosen the temple joints. That might make your glasses a little too loose though.

You might be able to wrap a thin padded material around the earpieces of the rims as well. Or you could put padded material in the groove above your ears. Hopefully the circumaural earpads would hold them in place.

Not much help I guess, but that's really all I can think of that's reasonable. You could always buy some glasses with lighter frames and ear pieces, but that's rather extreme
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by copperdusk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So today I picked up a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7's for a small road trip in a couple days. I'll probably do a review when I get back from said trip. Anyway, I wear glasses all the time, except when I'm swimming (inside joke laugh if you will.). The headphones, being circumaural, apply some preasure to my head, thus pressing my glasses against my skull. I wouldn't call it painful, but it would definetly get annoying during a seven hour ride each way. I was curious if there were any tricks I could use to eleviate this preasure?

I did have an interesting idea. Somehow making custom cushions, with a deep groove in them, so they could rest over the ear pices of my glasses without causing discomfort. I doubt I could ever make these, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Put your glasses on a stick like they did not so many years ago.
I think you can still buy them,there correct name is lorgnette.
Or make your own.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 19
I wear glasses and have never had a problem. The trick is easy. lift the ear holders on the glasses up. Put on the headphones and where them as normally with the ear holders on top. Works with every single headphone. You don´t want to wear glasses because you get worse seal if you wear them normally.

There is no downside to using them like this. Otherwise why not contact lenses?

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear glasses and have never had a problem. The trick is easy. lift the ear holders on the glasses up. Put on the headphones and where them as normally with the ear holders on top. Works with every single headphone. You don´t want to wear glasses because you get worse seal if you wear them normally.

This.

Also, some on-ear headphones don't do this to ears & glasses. My portapros did this, and it was annoying. However, my MS1s w/ comfies do NOT do this, which makes me quite happy. You might try wearing the headphones a little bit lower on your ears then usual as well.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

I'm amazed that actually works quite well. Thanks a bunch!!

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 19
I never wear my spectacles while donning my K701. The rims of the spectacle frames are raised and keep the drivers from coming as close as possible to my ears. Specs off, K701 on! That's how I listen.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I don't think I understand what you're saying
redface.gif

you put the phones first, then the glasses afterwards?

anyway, you need to have the thinnest glasses "branches" you can find, and especially not the ones that push the veins behind your ears
devil_face.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 19
The local Heath Services Supply store (Wheelchairs and oxygen). will have foam pads that they use on oxygen tubing to make them more comfortable for Pts that need the nasal canulas on for long periods. They should slip over the earpieces of your glasses.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Otherwise why not contact lenses?

Because they hurt!
I tried contact lenses, but much prefer glasses.
Though I agree that headphones and eyeglasses are not a good combination.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm sure the grip the headphones have on your head will eventually loosen up just a little bit. When I first got my DT770 Pro's, they were a little uncomfortable the first few days, but they eventually loosened up a tad and now there's actually a little indentation worn into the pads where they touch my glasses.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the grip the headphones have on your head will eventually loosen up just a little bit. When I first got my DT770 Pro's, they were a little uncomfortable the first few days, but they eventually loosened up a tad and now there's actually a little indentation worn into the pads where they touch my glasses.

That's true.
In my experience velour earpads do better with glasses than pleather and leather earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back