We need some concrete comparisons between Senn HD5X5 and HD5X8 series.
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hayang

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched a lot on the internet and there are a few users who have the HD5X8 headphones and a great many who have the HD5X5 series, but there are not many comparisons between the two headphone series.

Can someone who has both an HD5X5 headphone and an HD5X8 headphone give an objective and reliable comparison?

I am a previous owner of an HD555 (foam removal modded) and after I had sold them, I had the privilege of trying on the HD598s (thanks to Jude).  It was at a noisy meet, but I distinctly remember that I thought the HD598s were able to produce great sounding, substantial bass, something that I think the HD555 lacked somewhat.

Now that people on head-fi are throwing vague one-line comments like "oh, the new and old HD5XX models are practically the same thing in different colors" or "I think the new 5X8 line is probably a little better in some ways" I don't really know what to think.

I am about to buy some new headphones and the HD558s are one of my considerations; can someone please compare them (or the 598s) side by side with the HD555s or 595s so we can all get a good impression of the cans?

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Actually I can't think when a new line from a major manufacturer has aroused so little interest. The 558/598 seem to have been around for months now and there's virtually no feedback and no professional reviews. I too would love to read something, but unless I make it up myself it doesn't look like I ever will.

OP, you should list the music you listen to if you want a really useful comparison.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 4
 Well, the main types of music I would be interested in for a HD5X5/HD5X8 comparison review would be Classical and Electronica/Pop/Hip Hop/any music with substantial, thumping bass (only because I think there's a difference in low end response in the new line)

And I agree that it's strange how little discussion there is on these new cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back