We need a general "sounds signature" sticky...
Jan 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

downsize

Member of the Trade
Although everyone hears things somewhat differently, and tastes are varied, I think everyone would agree that ALL products have certain sonic sound signatures inherant to themselves.
I bet if we had a sticky that best describes a certain brand of headphone's certain sonic signature, we'd get a LOT less "How do these sound" threads. Plus it would be a great resource for newbie buyers to start their search off right.
For example " Most Westone headphones have a warm character with forward mids, deep bass and, wide but shallow soundstage" ... This is JUST an example, and one that I have NO CLUE if it is correct or not.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 17
Plus there are models within each manufacturer line that sound drastically different from each other...

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 17
I thought this is what I would hear from experienced headphone users in the know. Let me propose another one then ... We need a sub-forum that is simply called REVIEWS. It would be simply great if it were then further divided into manufacturer catagories. THIS would be a great improvement to what is already a fantastic website !

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 17
Your first idea won't work. Your second idea would.

Over at Badger & Blade (which runs basically the same software as Head-Fi) they have ratings software where you can score items from 1-10 on various attributes and write a review.

It's pretty slick and every time I go through the reviews there I can't help but think how useful the same system would be at Head-Fi. Since I know Jude and the rest of the crew aren't all that busy (
biggrin.gif
), a similar system would make a fine addition with a future update.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Love that idea! Let's hope it happens here!

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 17
I thought of that too.... nice idea!
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought this is what I would hear from experienced headphone users in the know. Let me propose another one then ... We need a sub-forum that is simply called REVIEWS. It would be simply great if it were then further divided into manufacturer catagories. THIS would be a great improvement to what is already a fantastic website !

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 17
Reviews forum is a nice idea.

Idea in the first post = no, no, no, never, absolutely not

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 17
How about a review section where cans get a numerical score based on various attributes? These are then averaged to give an overall score for the headphone in the review, and then, for like reviews covering the same model, an overall average is taken to give a general score. Basically like what Metacritic does with music and movies, but with various Head-fi gear.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a review section where cans get a numerical score based on various attributes? These are then averaged to give an overall score for the headphone in the review, and then, for like reviews covering the same model, an overall average is taken to give a general score. Basically like what Metacritic does with music and movies, but with various Head-fi gear.

This is even a better extension of my idea. That would make it MUCH easier for people like myself : Zero listening expeience, but wanting to purchase.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Something like that already exists: Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Review System

Not just anyone will get their reviews printed though, which is good - it separates the inexperienced people from those who actually are experienced with multiple headphones. No offense but inexperienced people writing reviews doesn't really contribute anything valuable and the (human) filter system on HeadphoneReviews.org is a good one.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something like that already exists: Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Review System

Not just anyone will get their reviews printed though, which is good - it separates the inexperienced people from those who actually are experienced with multiple headphones. No offense but inexperienced people writing reviews doesn't really contribute anything valuable and the (human) filter system on HeadphoneReviews.org is a good one.

Perfectly agreed. Only people who have a desire to be unbiased, and who have a depth of experience should post reviews.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Thanks! But can it be done? Pun intended.
wink.gif

Yes, I think there is a module for Head-Fi's software that can do it.

Go visit Badger and Blade and click on their "Reviews" button on the toolbar.

This will take you to a reviews section where members can rate products 0-10 on definable categories, add photos, comments, etc. The same could absolutely be done here.

It would be some work to install and someone would probably have to moderate the comments. But I think it would be hugely useful. You could comb through reviews without having to scan 40 or 50 threads and hundreds of pages to draw information out.

I think it would be the most helpful addition that could be made here. Of course, the software will probably cost money, the installation would take time and money, and someone would have to police the reviews to tamp out flamewars and bag the occasional shill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back