way too expensive for a CD?
Apr 3, 2013 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
i was looking up this band called bitter:sweet and i was thinking of purchasing a CD of the mating game album. the CD costs about ~50 bucks used and is selling on amazon new for ~500 bucks... What? 
eek.gif
 anyone knows why?

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 32
I'm sure it's out of print and hard to find. Most I've payed is about $50 for a used album, but I've seen them go much higher.

Try checking on discogs.com, it's the best place I can find to buy out of print CDs. Somebody might be selling it for cheaper.

I just saw the vinyl selling for 6 bucks, guess I will buy the vinyl disc and forget the CD. However now I will need a turntable that can rip the vinyl to digital so I can have the songs put on my dap which is where I will do the listening. Any good cheap turntable suggestion that can rip vinyl to digital?

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
I just saw the vinyl selling for 6 bucks, guess I will buy the vinyl disc and forget the CD. However now I will need a turntable that can rip the vinyl to digital so I can have the songs put on my dap which is where I will do the listening. Any good cheap turntable suggestion that can rip vinyl to digital?

I have a very cheap one and it is seriously the worst thing ever. In all likeliness it would be cheaper to get the CD, and probably sound better too (unless you spent a lot on a turntable).

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

... what if i dont listen on the turntable and only use it for ripping?

Then you'll have to hope you can get one that rips well. The turntable I have cost $100AUD and rips to 128 kbps MP3. The sound of the rip is worse than any Youtube rip. This is the only experience I have with converting vinyl to digital and it has not been good. The tonearm wouldn't balance on the first one, so I had to use it without a counterweight. This scratched one of my records. I took it back and got a replacement. The second one has a crooked needle and cannot be used for listening. Ripping works so I gave that a go with a few albums. Very poor sound quality. Your options are either to properly get into vinyl or keep looking for a cheaper CD.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 32
Then you'll have to hope you can get one that rips well. The turntable I have cost $100AUD and rips to 128 kbps MP3. The sound of the rip is worse than any Youtube rip. This is the only experience I have with converting vinyl to digital and it has not been good. The tonearm wouldn't balance on the first one, so I had to use it without a counterweight. This scratched one of my records. I took it back and got a replacement. The second one has a crooked needle and cannot be used for listening. Ripping works so I gave that a go with a few albums. Very poor sound quality. Your options are either to properly get into vinyl or keep looking for a cheaper CD.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it. I have no experience with analog audio whatsoever. I don't plan to get into analog audio because digital audio is so much more convenient. About turntables, how about the audio technica line? And also I want it to be able to convert music into lossless digital files.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it. I have no experience with analog audio whatsoever. I don't plan to get into analog audio because digital audio is so much more convenient. About turntables, how about the audio technica line? And also I want it to be able to convert music into lossless digital files.

I have no experience with them, but I expect they would be good. Probably a bit expensive if you're not going to do much with them.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 32
i just found out i can buy the songs in wav from discogs, now im thinking about what i should do. buy vinyls and get the turntable or just buy the songs in wav. i usually like a physical copy but... seems like buying in wav will save me quite a bit of money from buying the turntable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back