WAV Sounds The Best (To Me)
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 305

jfaaz

Head-Fier
Wav, APE, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC are all lossless file codecs and many audiophiles say that there is no difference in sound quality between them.  I use all these file types, but feel that WAV sounds superior to the rest.  I listen with Audio Technica ATHM50 headphones and a Fiio X3 (firmware 3.34).  I notice better studio effects, such as reverb and echo with uncompressed WAV files.  Sample rate, bit depth, and bit rate don't make much difference to my ear, but WAV sounds the most natural and defined.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 305
Apr 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 305
I have the Fiio X3 also.  I've been thinking maybe I was hearing things, but WAV files DO sound better than FLACs on the X3.  I would not say it in one of the forums for the reasons noted by the other poster, but I agree with you as far as the X3 goes.  I also have an X5 and the differences seem not to be present.  I don't know if it's related to processor power - decoding speed of the FLACS - or what.
Thanks for saying it - if I am nuts, it's nice to know I have some company.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 305
Its all in your head. No pun intended. You could not tell the difference with ultra high end equipment let alone what you are using. No insult intended I use Fiio X3.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 305
  Its all in your head. No pun intended. You could not tell the difference with ultra high end equipment let alone what you are using. No insult intended I use Fiio X3.

You are free to believe anything you want.  Science is science.  My ears like WAV best.  Have a nice day.
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 305
I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference between iTunes store lossy compression and WAV in a blind test, much less FLAC or ALAC.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 305

You are free to believe anything you want.  Science is science. 

Science is science, and that means that you should provide evidence for your assertions. Something like a level-matched, double blind test showing that the difference is audible, or at least an oscilloscope trace or results from an audio analyzer showing that the output of the device is different when playing flac vs wav (in which case the device is faulty). Science doesn't just let you say whatever you want and have people believe you. I can state that gravity stopped working this morning and I floated around my office for an hour, but without evidence, it's a meaningless assertion.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 305
  Science is science, and that means that you should provide evidence for your assertions. Something like a level-matched, double blind test showing that the difference is audible, or at least an oscilloscope trace or results from an audio analyzer showing that the output of the device is different when playing flac vs wav (in which case the device is faulty). Science doesn't just let you say whatever you want and have people believe you. I can state that gravity stopped working this morning and I floated around my office for an hour, but without evidence, it's a meaningless assertion.

Anyone is free to prove whatever they want.  Is it in my head that WAV is the most pleasing to me?  Yes.  So what.  Just put on the cans, turn on the tunes and enjoy!

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 305
Anyone is free to prove whatever they want.  Is it in my head that WAV is the most pleasing to me?  Yes.  So what.

Well as long as you are happy being wrong about that, I don't see any reason to rain on your parade. Feel free to be gleefully incorrect!

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 305

Anyone is free to prove whatever they want.  Is it in my head that WAV is the most pleasing to me?  Yes.  So what.  Just put on the cans, turn on the tunes and enjoy!

I think you need to look up the definition of the word "prove". Making a claim is different than providing proof (and no, anyone can't prove whatever they want).

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 305

There's an old proverb that applies, "Ignorance is bliss." Enjoy. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 305
  There's an old proverb that applies, "Ignorance is bliss." Enjoy. 
rolleyes.gif

I don't have to agree with you or anybody else.  I am aware of lossless file formats and the fact that so many people scrutinize over testing each one blindly.   Therefore, I am not ignorant.  I don't see why so many of you get disturbed when someone prefers one codec over the other.  If I prefer the sound of WAV format, it does not mean that it is the best sounding or that is even better than any other format.  It simply means that WAV sounds the best to me with my equipment.  I am not ignorant, wrong or right.  WAV files just sound more pleasing to me.  There is no reason to insult someone just because they prefer the sound of WAV files, but many of you have the need to so that you feel better about yourselves and your convictions.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back