Watts Up...?
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #4,471 of 4,668
Did i got clear that all new product from Robs designs have been already spoiled? Quartet and Power supply, and ultima dac which is still not clear if 2025 will be release date.? It wasnt the case previously not to leave at least something for a surprise!

Except the real surprises will be what's inside them... well over 5 man years of development (and counting) has gone just into these two new products.

There are also the Suzi pre-amp + amp, in the pipeline, but maybe that is a John Franks amplifier design.

Correct - I have had no involvement in Suzi.

Hopefully that will stop the Tweakos from trying 100 different power supplies, oh, wait, they are still going to do it anyway 😂 😂 😂

The PSUs are my own design, and the most advanced PSUs available with new tech to isolate RF noise in both directions - from the unit to the mains, and mains to the unit. It eliminates RF noise and also eliminates the other bug bear of PSUs (most particularly LPS) of signal modulated mains ripple components (50/60 Hz multiples extending up to high frequencies).

But yes no doubt people will seriously degrade the performance by adding other PSUs.

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #4,474 of 4,668
The PSUs are my own design, and the most advanced PSUs available with new tech to isolate RF noise in both directions - from the unit to the mains, and mains to the unit. It eliminates RF noise and also eliminates the other bug bear of PSUs (most particularly LPS) of signal modulated mains ripple components (50/60 Hz multiples extending up to high frequencies).
Is the PSU designed to support more than one external component simultaneously?

e.g. could the PSU support the Quartet Scaler and a DAVE 2?

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #4,475 of 4,668
Maybe „Quartet„ does not stand for 4 million taps or 4 chips, but 4 different solutions in one.
1. Power supply
2. Upscaler
3. CD transport
4. EQ
Just a wild guess. Or it means all three.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #4,476 of 4,668
Maybe „Quartet„ does not stand for 4 million taps or 4 chips, but 4 different solutions in one.
1. Power supply
2. Upscaler
3. CD transport
4. EQ
Just a wild guess. Or it means all three.
According to the latest video of Rob, which now seems to have been deleted by the uploader, Quartet has 5 * FPGA chips and 4M taps.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #4,479 of 4,668

I think its not a good idea to feed both Dave and Scaler off the same supply as noise gets a short route from scaler to DAC. I rather keep them separated.

The new scaler's PSU solves only one problem.. noise from the Scaler to Dave.. but Dave remains sensitive to other mains RF coming from household electronics and perhaps other HiFi chain components..

So i keep benefitting from my PSU tweaks in Dave.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #4,480 of 4,668

No - the PSUs need to be independent to prevent RF current flows. The new PSU works by having an extremely high impedance at RF - in particular the 1MHz to 10GHz band. This high impedance means that RF currents can't flow. By combining PSUs together provides a lower impedance path to couple scalers to DACs at RF.

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #4,481 of 4,668
No - the PSUs need to be independent to prevent RF current flows. The new PSU works by having an extremely high impedance at RF - in particular the 1MHz to 10GHz band. This high impedance means that RF currents can't flow. By combining PSUs together provides a lower impedance path to couple scalers to DACs at RF.
I'm sure the new scaler combined with Mojo2 or Hugo2 operating on batteries with direct connected headphones must be a delightful experience 😊

Im eager to hear that

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #4,483 of 4,668
Did you design the new power supply? If not, did Chord design it? Or did you get it from an external supplier? I'd appreciate an answer thanks.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #4,485 of 4,668

But yes no doubt people will seriously degrade the performance by adding other PSUs.
@GuiltyRocker he answered that further up the page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back